SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Here are some of my comments on the Robotnik Round 1 songs!:

Brandon Strader: I really enjoyed the overall ambiance of this song. The guitars, sax, vocals, and piano all sound really good together. Some parts do sound like they could've been EQed a bit better, but I understand you made this song very quickly. Your sax tone could also use a bit of work, but for only being at it for 6-months, that's quite impressive. Sax is not an easy instrument to just pick up. Very nice guitar solo in the 2nd half as well!! Overall solid entry Mr. Strader!

Tuberz McGee: I hadn't heard any of your songs prior to this, so I didn't know what to expect. This song took a bit to grow on me, but I really enjoy it. It has a very methodical build-up throughout the song that I appreciate, with the various layers you continue to add as the song goes on. The gritty guitar segments were an interesting direction to go, but overall I think it works. Volume levels overall seem low and some of the layering (particularly in the 2nd half) sound like they could've been EQed better. Very enjoyable nonetheless!

AMT: I think AMT delivered the most fun song of the round. Dat bass riff is just delicious. Solid guitar, solid bass, and very solid lyrics/vocals. I like the shouting background vocals too. Reminds me more of early 2000's punk/alt rock more than 90s, but oh well. The like how the lyrics could be interpreted as just a leaving/breakup song or as an analogy to the Sonic franchise, as you mentioned. Very clever and very enjoyable! Bravo sir.

urdailywater: Very nice chill, downtempo piece. I like the different elements and instruments you add throughout the piece. The background wind blowing effects really make it feel like you're just kind of floating in the air too. So it's a really laid-back 'sky chase' I suppose :-D. Very enjoyable piece!

Dj Mokram: Ehhh vocal clips (I sound like Rozo now)... I really really really enjoyed your hectic arrangement. The various styles and elements you interpreted sound just down-right awesome sometimes, but I feel that the use of the vocal clips was waaay overdone. They really take me out of the song. I can understand a few, but I think there could've been a better way to tie the song together. Sorry, not trying to sound negative, because I do really really enjoy this song... just not the vocal clips.

wildfire: That intro is sweet. It really sets the tone for the piece. Once the percussion settles in at 0:33 that groove really gets going. The arrangement is pretty conservative, although I have grown to appreciate the Dragon Road parts on the lead synth that I didn't quite pick up on the first time through. My only real complaint is the 1:20 - 1:50 section feels a bit off. Some of the harmonies around the 1:44 - 1:50 mark just off-key too. I'd take a look at those. Groovy piece overall!

Arceace: I've also never heard anything from you before either, so this one was a huge surprise! I love the piano + synth combo, and your use of Sonic sound effects was well placed and fun. I really don't have any complaints here. This is a really fun and really well-arranged piece, great job!

halc: A well polished, solid entry (what else would we expect? :-D). Maybe not quite the energy as Arceace's song, but just as equally as clever an arrangement IMO. I like how the parts seem to build off one another. I particularly enjoyed how you morphed the SFX into a percussion pattern. Genius!

King Tiger: This song has grown on my over the week. Nice blending of the themes and definitely an interesting direction to take the song! I'll echo someone's comments from before (don't remember who), that some of your rapping verses sound forced, like you were trying to cram in too many syllables into the phrase. I might take a look and rewriting a few of the lines so the phrase flows better. But overall this was an enjoyable (and positive) song!

Gario: This reminds me a lot of some of your older stuff. I'd agree with you that it's not maybe your most creative song, but it's typical, high-quality Gario stuff right here. And I like the 'GOs' too!

Enigami: I got so pissed when I first heard this cause I thought my computer crashed or something. Then I was like OOHHHH that's just the song... and then you turned the Windows error sound into an instrument :lmassoff: That was pretty damn funny. It sucks you lost your original song though, bummer :(

Syllix: Groovy beat you have going on. A pretty good job combining the two themes too. Some of your synths sound a bit generic overall, like they could've used a bit more filter lovin', but solid song nonetheless!

Sir Jordanius: That intro just makes me smile. And the Randy Savage "OH YEAH!" makes me laugh every time. From there you've built a really fun and upbeat song. I like the 'driving forward' beat you have and really nice bass work too! Nice cat & dog sounds too lol. I just can't help enjoy this in all of it's cheesy gloriousness!

Chernabogue: This is a really cool style for Mystic Cave. Awesome beat and cool sax work you got going on. The xylophone creates an interesting stylistic dichotomy within the piece which I enjoy. I didn't hear a whole lot of Scrap Brain, but I wasn't listening for it too hard either... The rapping at the end was a cool touch too. Is that sampled from something (I assume) or did you record it?

Nice job Badniks! Most of these match-ups are super close in the voting right now, and even I'm not sure who I'm going to vote for yet on a few of these! Only about a day and a half until Sonic Round 2 mixes!

No one else better be dropping tho... Amph, Ben, Main Finger? How are you guys doing?

I'm not dropping out! But I doubt my song will be quite as polished as usual depending on how well Friday goes.

As I said before, this is the first week of my new job and I've been trying to learn a million things and meet a million people and it's made my brain kind of tired. But I have some pretty ok stuff layed out that I can hopefully turn into some super sweet stuff before I run out of time or brain power.

Chernabogue: This is a really cool style for Mystic Cave. Awesome beat and cool sax work you got going on. The xylophone creates an interesting stylistic dichotomy within the piece which I enjoy. I didn't hear a whole lot of Scrap Brain, but I wasn't listening for it too hard either... The rapping at the end was a cool touch too. Is that sampled from something (I assume) or did you record it?

Thanks! The rapping in the end was sampled from a random mp3 I found on the Internet. :)

I've lost in round 1 of every single compo I've been in. Not counting the ones that didn't follow that format.

Oh well.

At least I like the song, I may remix more but I'll keep them to myself :-o And put them on that secret album of mixes I'm planning that won't be done for 9 years. :-o

Congartulartoin Tuberz

This round is far from over yet, a lot of people still have to vote, and the vote is still pretty close. Plus your song was really good for the amount of time you were able to spend on it. And you haven't lost in Round 1 everytime... You got to round 2 in the GRMRB 2011!

Regardless of what happens, I hope you either polish this mix up or make some more Planet Wisp mixes in the future (if you don't move on) cause I'm interested to see what you'd do!

I have a feeling these Robotnik match-ups are going to go down to the wire! Come on everyone, vote on some Badniks if you haven't already! Voting has picked up a bit this afternoon, but we're still trending quite a bit lower than we were last week for Sonic Round 1.

Sonic Round 2 mixes be a comin' tomorrow! Mine is almost done as well, I just need to add a few finishing touches and add in the part from my SECRET WEAPON! Which really kinda bums me out that Robbie had to drop, cause one cannot simply be wasting secret weapons. I'm excited to hear what you guys think of it though anyway!

I've lost in round 1 of every single compo I've been in. Not counting the ones that didn't follow that format.

Oh well.

At least I like the song, I may remix more but I'll keep them to myself :-o And put them on that secret album of mixes I'm planning that won't be done for 9 years. :-o

Congartulartoin Tuberz

NO! You're amazing Brandon. You're a constant inspiration.

I just lucked out that people preferred mine, mine was safe.

Keep up the awesome-tude. Hell, you're a posted mixer. I'm not.