SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Votes all done! Very different mixes to the Sonic bracket, but equally great :D I'm putting my vote for Chernabogue here: Chernabogue. You played on the catchiness of Mystic Cave perfectly hehe

Just submitted my track.

Dayum. Only had 3 days that I actually managed to work on it. Like I said, this was the first week of my new job. But hey! I didn't drop out. It may not be my best work, but I "finished" it. That's gotta count for something.

Woop! Glad you managed to get somethin' submitted. Need more musics to listen to :<

Good morning everyone! Oh yeah wow we've gotten a lot of votes since last night, good job!

Sonic Round 2 mixes will be due soon... I've received them all except Phonetic Hero and AkumajoBelmont (but Robbie said he wasn't going to be able to make it this round), so I guess that just leaves PH!

Hey... Shh... I'm getting to it

Gonna go ahead and give some exposition for my piece this round before I go back to bed and then to work

First of all, it was heavily, HEAVILY influenced by Kitcaliber's album D.FREQ.CRUSH, especially Pseudotriton (hence the name). I've wanted to put a song together in that style ever since I heard the album, so forgive me for staying rather close to their structure, but I wanted to gain some footing in a relatively new style of writing. Still just can't seem to get away from those damn 8 bit waveforms though :P Made a bunch of processing/productional breakthroughs, and I'm really happy with how things turned out. Hopefully y'all guys dig it, and I'm super glad Main Finger didn't drop so we can have ourselves a showdown :D

Special thanks to Xarn, MY SECRET WEAPON!

Now back to sleep

OK everybody! Sonic Round 2 mixes are here!

7 mixes were submitted. AkumajoBelmont did not submit a mix so SuperiorX advances by default. I'd really like to hear what you guys think of my song though, I think it turned out pretty good, and my secret weapon, C7 nailed it! So mad props to him!

I'm tabulating the Robotnik Round 1 votes right now. Those will be up very soon.

EDIT: Robotnik Round 2 matchups.

• Brandon Strader vs. AMT
  • wildfire vs. halc
  • KingTiger vs. Gario
  • Syllix vs. Chernabogue

Brandon Strader only voted in his matchup and Dj Mokram voted in all but his own matchup, so their votes were disallowed. Updated bracket graphics are up.

Dj Mokram voted in all but his own matchup.

This is weird, cause I voted on all matches the same day.

However, I had to relog when placing the vote on my match, which might have caused the system to not register it somehow.

Wish someone would have notified me earlier. Here was my vote:

Go lazywildfire! Show 'em how it's done! ;D
Really hope you can count the vote as it wasn't intentional and I did not intend to penalize everyone else. :?

Also, I really wanna thank anyone who was crazy enough to vote for me. <3 <3 <3

I went in this match expecting a 60-0 result in favor of Beth, so the outcome humbled me to say the least.

Thanks again to Matt for having me on the compo, and congrats/good luck to wildfire on her next match. :)

Also, I really wanna thank anyone who was crazy enough to vote for me. <3 <3 <3

I went in this match expecting a 60-0 result in favor of Beth, so the outcome humbled me to say the least.

Thanks again to Matt for having me on the compo, and congrats/good luck to wildfire on her next match. :)

Thanks! Your track was a lot better than I had expected, given your self-deprecating comments. You've got to give yourself more credit! :P

Thanks for being a fantastic opponent!

This is weird, cause I voted on all matches the same day.

However, I had to relog when placing the vote on my match, which might have caused the system to not register it somehow.

Wish someone would have notified me earlier. Here was my vote:

Really hope you can count the vote as it wasn't intentional and I did not intend to penalize everyone else. :?

Yeah or something could've gotten mixed up with the 30-60 second delay between posting too. I'll reinstate your votes since it doesn't effect any of the end results anyway.

Thanks! Your track was a lot better than I had expected, given your self-deprecating comments. You've got to give yourself more credit! :P

Thanks for being a fantastic opponent!

I think MindWanderer summed this match up neatly in the votes: 1 great mix > 7 mixes stapled together with voice samples. ;P

But more surprising than people not voting for you Beth, is the fact my track was played during the latest Saturday Night Sega.

Gavvie actually played a few SRZC compo entries in recent SNS episodes. All you lizcakes and panzards should check it out.

Yeah or something could've gotten mixed up with the 30-60 second delay between posting too. I'll reinstate your votes since it doesn't effect any of the end results anyway.

Thanks Matt, much appreciated. Didn't want to be the bad pancake on this one. ;)

I feel Aquarium park needs more justice, maybe I've missed it but it seems no one has included the "verse" in their mix yet and it's a shame because it's such a nice passage of source music. The mixes are great, but I love this part of the source and it hasn't turned up anywhere yet.

I hope you guys noticed (and enjoyed) the little Sonic 3 reference in one of my fills. Keeping up my weird trend of paying small tributes to games that aren't actually represented by me or my opponent. (Last round had the Sonic Boom clip despite neither being from Sonic CD)

Edit: Also in case anybody doesn't pick up on the reference in the track name, Sonic makes Speedy Gonzales seem like Regular Gonzales. Yeah... I've been rewatching the good 'ol, pre-cancellation days of Futurama again.

Haven't listened yet and I'm already excited because one of the songs is titled 'Pyroclastic Tides'.

Epic name.

Haha thanks! I had about 5 different volcano themed names I was deciding between, this was the best one! And come on, did C7 nail that trumpet solo or WHAT?

I went into this compo not really wanting to make rock or metal -_-

ITT Brandon is a whiny little bitch

Then don't :razz: urdailywater made Metal Harbor into a very non-metal song, you can too!

Great songs this round lizards! I love them all!

I feel Aquarium park needs more justice, maybe I've missed it but it seems no one has included the "verse" in their mix yet and it's a shame because it's such a nice passage of source music. The mixes are great, but I love this part of the source and it hasn't turned up anywhere yet.

if it is any consolation, I've tried to include it in both of my entries so far, but with very little success. any time I get it to fit in, I have to change so many notes that it's no longer recognizable. it IS a very pretty melody, but it's hard to retain it without also retaining its original chord progression

well, I mean, willrock could do it.