SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Just stopping by to thank everyone for the awesome competition. You guys rock! I had lots of fun listening to everything you guys came up with, and I plan on sticking with this thread for the entire competition. I would also like to thank SuperiorX for being amazing and managing the whole competition. Thanks for all the work you're doing, and you can definitely put me down as interested for next time!

Good luck to all those who are moving on, and may you continue to be awesome! :-D

I wasn't going to do any more today, but the music bug has me bad. Mine's finished - although I'm sure over the next 3 days, I'll keep going back to make adjustments as I listen to it over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over (∞) again and drive my wife crazy :P I plan to have it submitted by Friday night.

my update: as it stands now, this track will be a good 20 seconds longer than my last one, [over]clocking (lol??) in at just over 3 minutes.... hurray! So more time for you panzards and lizcakes to hopefully enjoy it. I'm adding some really weird transitions in that totally change the pace of the song - basically just having fun with this one and letting experimentation drive me forward. If it ends up poopy in the end I don't care!! I love this comp!!! :D

~"We are not crepes"

I'll do reviews just to get my thoughts in order to vote. It's a tough one!

• Bone Shark (Amphibious): Great instrumentation and arrangement, just pure simple goodness. Nothing particularly surprising, but nothing to complain about either.
  • Dub Interference (Ben Briggs): Weird... in a good way, but damn this is hard to compare to its competitor. A little repetitive at the end, and ultimately I'm not sold on the wackiness. I want to like it, and maybe I'll like it more by the end of the week, but right now it's just a little too strange for my tastes.
  • Regular Gonzales (Main Finger): More traditional than I expect from Main Finger, which isn't saying much. I like the mix of his usual twisty arrangements and more traditional synth instrumentation. That said, I found myself wishing the second half were a little more adventurous, which is something I never thought I'd say about MF.
  • PseudoMeltdown (Phonetic Hero): You really can't mistake pH's mixes for anyone else's, can you? Not crazy about that rhythm instrument in the opening and at 1:52, but I like the overall arrangement and the voice use a lot.
  • Dare of the Fossils (Rexy): Interesting. Starts off reminiscent of Lunar: SSSC, then a chipper flute and steel drum section--then DusK? Strange but cool.
  • Pair of Rexes (TheRexAsaurous): Very Sonic, good soundscape, but it doesn't vary a whole lot. The piano is a little out of place among those particular instruments. The "restart" at 1:10 doesn't seem to accomplish much. It's really not bad overall, but it's not very exciting either.
  • Pyroclastic Tides (SuperiorX): Smooth and pleasant, nice soundscape, nice segue into the jazz. Not really my thing, but nice for what it is. I think you lucked out with AjumajoBelmont skilling out, though.

My mix might not happen. -_- I'm not dropping out just yet but apologies in advance.. :cry:

I'm just kinda not feeling it, and I haven't started yet.

:cry: well I hope you find some inspiration tomorrow sir, especially after saying how you never make it out of Round 1's.

At least it sounds like the rest of you pancakes are making good progress!

At least it sounds like the rest of you pancakes are making good progress!

...uh, yeah... I just submitted mine :P

My mix might not happen. -_- I'm not dropping out just yet but apologies in advance.. :cry:

I'm just kinda not feeling it, and I haven't started yet.

Please don't drop out :( I take it back, you're not a crepe! I want to hear another mix from you!