SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

OK! Robotnik Round 2 songs are up!

Sonic Round 2 results:

• Rexy: 35, TheRexAsaurous: 12
  • Phonetic Hero: 25, Main Finger: 22
  • Amphibious: 27, Ben Briggs: 20

MindWanderer didn't vote on the Phonetic Hero vs. Main Finger matchup, so his other two votes were disallowed. No impact on the final results though. First post and the bracket image are now updated.

If I brought in RexAsaurous, that would actually be tricky especially since he doesn't seem to have a specific specialty at this moment in time. But no fear, I do have a good idea on where to go for my track this time.

SuperiorX? Hm... looks like someone wants a good taste of humble pie. :razz:

Talking of food, my GOD - you guys in the Robotnik bracket have really tickled my tastebuds this time! Let's see what I make of your recipes this time around. :)

It's safe to assume that Brandon Strader had his angry moments in the kitchen tonight, and indeed I can see bottles of sleeping pills spilled all over the floor... luckily not on the pancake itself. :razz: It's in this set that we DO have some nice spiced pepperoni with a hint of mackerel in it - very experimental, but I'm most assuming it's from his Italian ancestry. You gotta watch out for something though - you forgot to pick out the fishbones, which indeed resulted in a rather rough aftertaste. Luckily I was able to pick them out as I went along, but all in all it was still a good treat.

AMT actually served up a different fish this week and went for some refreshing sole wrapped in iceberg lettuce. It's a strange combination coming from someone who's more known to pack more of a stronger taste in his offerings, but what can I say, it feels ridiculously different from what I'm used to and has a very funny aftertaste. Like with Brandon's pancake, you should've been a bit careful with the presentation - some of the lettuce seemed to have been falling apart after a while, which I would've recommended to keep together with any additional salad components (probably celeries). But since this is a new thing for you, I'd let it slide.

Wildfire's pancake seemed to be really gentle; lots of syrup around the surface and centred in the middle with some equally sweetening turnip chops. And unlike what happened last time, you've managed to learn some things about blending things together; I sensed a great amount of marshmallows blended in well with the syrup this time, hence we have this greatly improved offering from last time. A little extra seasoning would've been required to give it more polish, as well as watching out any fingerprints in the center, but it's still very delicious. I hope you'd be able to shake things up if you survive this matchup.

halc's track started out pretty safely with similar chips to last time, but then he decided to throw in something ridiculously sweeter near the middle by use of gelatin! That was topped up nicely with some Chinese seaweed which similarly gave it a good amount of edge to it. It's a more unusual texture than last time, though the reliance on the gelatin might be a bit empty for some. But what can I say - gelatin tastes great on its own, so it might be a crazy enough idea to work.

KingTiger came next, equally bringing in the party food love by throwing in some french fries on his along with a hint of shredded duck and... more gelatin? Seems like he must've peaked into halc's corner of the kitchen for that. :razz: Here we have a similarly experimental combination that takes it into an atmospheric level, though I personally think that there's too MUCH gelatin in here. It's a cool texture for it though, but you just need to try and watch for the quantity of it. Additionally, I saw a lot of empty patches on the pancake; could've had potential to beef it up somewhat, but it's still a pretty cool way to serve it... unless you didn't want to cover those spots because they were used to mop the floor up?!

And then came Gario. I sensed a lot of cheese and onion flavored potato chips on his, along with a similar stroke of tiger prawn on his, smothered in a rich red wine sauce. Trying to go for a more upperclass party, are we? :) There's definitely been more attention to detail than his opponent as well as some good improvements from last time - everything feels so beautifully roasted and delicate, just like what Sky Sanctuary should be. All I can really say is that your tiger prawns appear to be a bit overcooked - maybe if you grilled them at a lower heat, they'd bear more of a resemblance to the raw meat they're meant to be and give the pancake a bit more life, but otherwise, this is a great offering tonight!

Syllix apparently had been wanting to throw an equal amount of silliness to his pancake by throwing in some smarties onto his this time, with Haribo goldbears making a frequent appearance alongside them. It's a pretty cool way to go, but I didn't seem to sense enough spice in comparison to last time. There's some empty patches there which could've easily benefitted from it, which leaves me feeling a bit of an awkward aftertaste. Otherwise, the presentation appears to be very precise and worthwhile; but it just could've had more if you know what I mean.

Last but not least, Chernabogue. I'm liking the use of curry sauce on this one, even though I think you put a bit too much water into the concoction and thus resulted in a slightly soggy pancake. It's also quite difficult to pick up; most of the sogginess is occupied by the blank spots in the serving, which would easily risk trying to pick up and taste it. The garlic mushrooms tried to help drain it off and add some added texture, as does some pieces of sole in golden crumbs (probably borrowed from AMT's corner of the kitchen?), but again it feels rather difficult to take in. Either way, it's a definite improvement of incorporating the opposite element into the serving this week, and I hope you'll be able to refine your methods.

Man... now I feel full taking these in. Nice work all!

If I brought in RexAsaurous, that would actually be tricky especially since he doesn't seem to have a specific specialty at this moment in time. But no fear, I do have a good idea on where to go for my track this time.

SuperiorX? Hm... looks like someone wants a good taste of humble pie. :razz:

Humble pie eh'? I'm going to be bringing the HEAT this round Rexy! I've already got some good ideas to take my song in a new direction (for me at least). I'm going to make this Rex EXTINCT!!! :razz: OH SNAP!!!!!!!

I don't have much time since I have drumline stuff all day, just popping in to say damn, great matchup Finger! It was a fun one, and a nail-biter, for sure :D

I'm glad we finally got to have our duel. It was a fun time. Honestly, I'm a bit relieved I lost, though. I have had several new music projects popping up since I joined and now I'll actually have time to devote to them.

Good luck against Amphibious! I'm sure you'll have the toughest match to vote on ;)

I'm glad we finally got to have our duel. It was a fun time. Honestly, I'm a bit relieved I lost, though. I have had several new music projects popping up since I joined and now I'll actually have time to devote to them.

Good luck against Amphibious! I'm sure you'll have the toughest match to vote on ;)

Haha, believe it or not, I was pretty much feeling the same, writing solo stuff for an album (just put up 3 new tracks on SoundCloud, if anyone wants a listen! /bump), OCR album projects, you get the idea... And besides, can't be upset about losing to a worthy opponent with a groovy mix. I hope we may meet again on the battlefield in the near future...

Let's do this thing, Amph. No idea what I'll do with my mix yet, and I won't get to start for a bit (drumline goes literally all weekend...), but whatever I cook up, I hope you're ready for it ;)

Haha, believe it or not, I was pretty much feeling the same, writing solo stuff for an album (just put up 3 new tracks on SoundCloud, if anyone wants a listen! /bump), OCR album projects, you get the idea... And besides, can't be upset about losing to a worthy opponent with a groovy mix. I hope we may meet again on the battlefield in the near future...

Let's do this thing, Amph. No idea what I'll do with my mix yet, and I won't get to start for a bit (drumline goes literally all weekend...), but whatever I cook up, I hope you're ready for it ;)

No idea what I'm gonna do yet either, but it should be fun! I am excite.

I've gotten a pretty decent start so far on my song, but I need to get it done by Friday, which reminds me...

I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be out-of-town this coming weekend, from Saturday morning through Monday. I've asked Phonetic Hero and Rexy to help me keep track of the Robotnik Round 2 voting. Please look to them for posting the final voting results & announcing the Robotnik Round 3 match-ups this coming Saturday 6/9 at noon.

For Sonic Round 3, please send your songs to me still. I'll have access to WiFi, so I'll still plan to post the songs on Saturday, it will probably just be later in the afternoon/evening. Since there are only 4 of us mixing, if I get all the songs before I leave early Saturday AM then I'll post them early. If not, no big deal. Thanks!

Its been a really great competition and great to see such interesting and close matchups. Just started to listening to the current round's mixes and I'm certainly impressed so far (just listened to AMT's and Brandon's)

Definitely lookin' forward to seeing the ending to this saga of bitter defeat and triumphant victories. Keep the ear orgies comin' guys!!

Even more so, people whom i expected to go through have ended up losing. Crazy outcomes, man!

I can understand your sentiment. But that's what happens when we get further and further up; the competition just gets tougher because of the state of the guys left. :P All in all, all we can do is just do our best and have no regrets doing so.

And even if that's the case, Matt's been a great sport with hosting the whole thing. Very optimistic, enthusiastic, and generally plain fun to be around, almost reminiscent of the old PRC days :) It'll be exciting to see this go through to the bitter end, indeed!

It'll be exciting to see this go through to the bitter end, indeed!
Oh, most definitely ^_^

I mean, personally for me, from day one when i heard Ben Briggs, i thought the guy was going to clear house and floor this whole thing. And then when i found out he got knocked out it just proved to me how wide open this competition really is. Even when me and AkumaJo were battling it back and forth for those single votes against Magellanic, if anything this competition has been full of surprises and hold-your-breath moments. It's anybodies game, here.

And it's THOSE kinds of competitions that are the best, in my opinion. Nobody knows what's going to happen next. To everyone who's participated in this thing, you've made it extremely memorable. Never been a dull moment since the get-go.

And even if that's the case, Matt's been a great sport with hosting the whole thing. Very optimistic, enthusiastic, and generally plain fun to be around, almost reminiscent of the old PRC days :) It'll be exciting to see this go through to the bitter end, indeed!

Thanks! It's been my pleasure to host this compo. I've thoroughly enjoyed participating and running this thing, and the level of interest and quality of music has been amazing!

And it's THOSE kinds of competitions that are the best, in my opinion. Nobody knows what's going to happen next. To everyone who's participated in this thing, you've made it extremely memorable. Never been a dull moment since the get-go.

Indeed! It's been very exciting watching how things develop!