SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Since when did this turn into a subject of being humble? All Lucavi did was stated a prediction, and I am aware that it was wrong for Gario and Amph, but that's what happens when we're down to the last two in each bracket - it's either black or white.

I'm pretty sure the right thing to do would be to just wait til he comes back in here and address the concerns himself, rather than everyone here just suddenly starting to get defensive all over again. That's not what I want to see in the last 36 hours >.<

That's not the point, the point is posting stuff like that is a real downer for the people he's not rooting for. I'd be pissed if I was in Gario or Amph's shoes. And hell, I'm still a little pissed on their behalf anyway. Everyone who's made it this far has more than proved themselves to be talented musicians, and the rounds are totally up in the air. "Calling it" is basically saying there's mixers who are clearly better than others competing, and that's just not the case here. And even if it WAS the case, it's still a dick move to rub it in someone's face.

There's been a lot of beating around the bush, but I'm just shooting straight. "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," to quote everybody's mother

I mean, come on guys... nobody wants to be undermined. And that's ALL that's been going on lately. I'm sick of it. Everyone who's being a poor sport, knock it off. It's a competition, we're here to be pitted against each other. But we're here to be pitted against each other FOR FUN, not to shit on each other. Cut it out

Learn something from Brandon

This is the main reason why I lost interest in this compo and my last track wasn't that well mixed. It's pretty hurtful to hear people imply that you're not as good.

Since when did this turn into a subject of being humble? All Lucavi did was stated a prediction, and I am aware that it was wrong for Gario and Amph, but that's what happens when we're down to the last two in each bracket - it's either black or white.

I'm pretty sure the right thing to do would be to just wait til he comes back in here and address the concerns himself, rather than everyone here just suddenly starting to get defensive all over again. That's not what I want to see in the last 36 hours >.<

It wasn't all meant for Lucavi, those were general statements. That post was just the one to make me say "Ok, enough is enough; we're all musicians here with a common interest, and this shit shouldn't be happening, ever."

This is the main reason why I lost interest in this compo and my last track wasn't that well mixed. It's pretty hurtful to hear people imply that you're not as good.

When people start feeling like this, it's time to speak up. So I did

EDIT: and Rexy.. you can't tell me you wouldn't be up in arms if he'd predicted B-Strade vs. Amph...

:P

Oh come on Wildfire, I know it's a hurtful process but that's what happens with the growth of a musician. I mean, to even go up against halc and defeat him really shows how much your capabilities are growing, and you've been a pleasant surprise throughout this entire contest.

I really hope you'll be able to keep developing as a solo artist :)

[EDIT: PH, if I was in that situation... I'd keep quiet in here or try and divert the subject :P]

Oh come on Wildfire, I know it's a hurtful process but that's what happens with the growth of a musician.

couldn't you have just as easily posted the compliments and left out this part where you invalidate her feelings? people are allowed to feel hurt during competitions; we've all felt that way at some point :)

[oh, and I don't believe you :P]

Guys, people are going to predict stuff. It always happens, no need to get butthurt about it :P

Every compo i've seen, people have predicted outcomes. I remember the second GRMRB, there were alot of people predicting PrototypeRaptor was going to win the whole thing. I don't remember butthurt replies then, and what happened? He was knocked out in the second round. Point is, no one can be sure who is going to win or lose, and people are going to make silly predictions, but they don't mean anything. Its not going to affect the final outcome, so its really not worth losing sleep over.

Guys, people are going to predict stuff. It always happens, no need to get butthurt about it :P

Every compo i've seen, people have predicted outcomes. I remember the second GRMRB, there were alot of people predicting PrototypeRaptor was going to win the whole thing. I don't remember butthurt replies then, and what happened? He was knocked out in the second round. Point is, no one can be sure who is going to win or lose, and people are going to make silly predictions, but they don't mean anything. Its not going to affect the final outcome, so its really not worth losing sleep over.

Willrock, predictions at the beginning of a compo are harmless, as that's just people rooting for their favorite mixer. In the beginning, everyone has favorites, so that's normal. It is disrespectful to make such predictions when it is a head's up match and the music isn't posted yet, as that's a direct way of stating that one musician isn't any good compared to the other. It's actually pretty demoralizing. I haven't seen that sort of thing at the end of a compo yet, save for this one, probably for the reason stated above. I'm pretty sure Lucavi means no harm from it, but hopefully the hostile responses in this thread will show that it is offensive to do so at this stage of the game.

The remixers have all responded, and I'm sure Lucavi didn't think about his post when he posted it, so we can drop the issue and get back to the music, now. In the grand scheme of things a few people are hurt, but a week from now no one is going to give a shit 'cause they'll be eagerly anticipating the outcome of the Amphibious vs. Gario match-up.

:<

Are pancake and lizard jokes outlawed now too? Those could totally bias the final round.

The Chicago Bulls don't get butthurt when someone's fantasy league has them losing in the semifinals. Keep calm and stay professional, mixers.

Are pancake and lizard jokes outlawed now too? Those could totally bias the final round.

I don't know, if anything it's just a hint of light humor that's all. The lizards may similarly be delicious with maple syrup, while the pancakes may be slithery and hissy; no matter what, I don't think the lizard/pancake 'label' will affect the final vote :razz:

I slept in and was lazy in general so I didn't get a start on my song until 5pm. Now it's 8:22pm and I seem to have a rough outline for the song, which will be 13 minutes and feature heavy Gregorian Chant usage as well as a live Vuvuzela player. I'm gonna send it to my friend Richard Head to mix and master it and hopefully it'll be ready in time. :<

I wish laziness was the issue that I was having. I've had some serious problems goin' down in life this week - for the first time ever in a compo I'm not sure I'll be able to pull it off. :-|

I will try, though, so don't write me off quite yet.

Tell you what, let's make it easier on everyone involved, don't try and I'll write you off right now, then you won't have to try to produce a half-butted song, people can enjoy mine, and me and Rexy can go head to head in the finals, and people can stop being butthurt about stuff. :-D

IT'S A WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN SCENARIO

Willrock, predictions at the beginning of a compo are harmless, as that's just people rooting for their favorite mixer. In the beginning, everyone has favorites, so that's normal. It is disrespectful to make such predictions when it is a head's up match and the music isn't posted yet, as that's a direct way of stating that one musician isn't any good compared to the other. It's actually pretty demoralizing. I haven't seen that sort of thing at the end of a compo yet, save for this one, probably for the reason stated above. I'm pretty sure Lucavi means no harm from it, but hopefully the hostile responses in this thread will show that it is offensive to do so at this stage of the game.

The remixers have all responded, and I'm sure Lucavi didn't think about his post when he posted it, so we can drop the issue and get back to the music, now. In the grand scheme of things a few people are hurt, but a week from now no one is going to give a shit 'cause they'll be eagerly anticipating the outcome of the Amphibious vs. Gario match-up.

:<

I know exactly what I posted and why I posted it. I also predicted Rexy vs. Strader in Round 1. Hence why I said 'I tell you fools, Rexy Vs Strader in the finals.' Though now that I read it, tell should have been told so that was a mistake on my part.

To all those that got butthurt, deal. It's a competition and even though you aren't playing to win a prize you are still competing to enhance your skills as a musician and should still be playing to win and treating your opponents as your rivals.

To all those that got disheartened because you got beaten and people had opinions about your work, best learn to cope now or the real world will eat you alive. Take their criticisms, analyze it and then apply it to your next work to make it bigger and better. You won't always get another chance in a different setting, just be glad that all of this is for fun and not for some cash prize or some other prize that would be worth a lot to a musician (maybe a new studio set up or a record contract) because if that were the case, then I gaurantee that a lot of things going on would be totally different.

TL;DR: Criticism is a part of the creative game. You can't please everyone 100% of the time so there are bound to be some people who won't be impressed by you. Hell, even some of them will be vocal about their disapproval and it may hurt your feelings. Turn that negativity around and use it to push your skills forward.

Also, damn my improper first post. Tell = Told

Also, believe it or not, the only reason I'm hyping up Strader is because of the source he picked. Planet Wisp is awesome. If someone had picked Crisis City then I would have been rooting for them even more.

Got back into voting this round. Am beating myself up for missing last week.

Amphibious, you've got some very awesome stuff here. Guitar + Saxophone? Heck yeah! It's very laid-back and enjoyable. Doesn't try to do anything too crazy, it's just 4 complete minutes of simple, yet good and sexy music. Exactly like I like it. :) and exactly why you get my vote.

Rexy you made a very catchy remix. Your drum work has always stood out too me especially in this compo. Really diggin' your stuff. Chiptune works well with the sega soundbits. (which reminds me, great bass here).

Good stuff from both of yah.

couldn't you have just as easily posted the compliments and left out this part where you invalidate her feelings? people are allowed to feel hurt during competitions; we've all felt that way at some point :)

[oh, and I don't believe you :P]

actually chthonic, I kept quiet when I felt like things were going that way for me :P

It seems like there's some truth in both sides here: 1. Learn to take criticism/negativity towards your music/art/whatever you do, because it'll always be there. 2. Be a bit considerate when posting criticisms, but don't think that you have to be completely quiet because you might hurt someone's butt feelings.