SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Lucavi. I'm not one to throw any form of anger anywhere, but shut the fuck up.

Bev's track was excellent, and even better, she did it out of the goodness of her heart.

Don't be a dick, I've put up with your remarks this whole competition because I'm a pushover, but for the love of god, stop being a jackass.

xoxo

Love Tuberz

Fixed. Go to bed, Tuberz. :razz:

Dude, Lucavi... you've made some pretty snarky remarks your last few posts... can't tell if you're trolling or not...

Nope, I discussed it with Rexy prior to her latest post about it.

Lucavi. I'm not one to throw any form of anger anywhere, but shut the fuck up.

Beth's track was excellent, and even better, she did it out of the goodness of her heart.

Don't be a dick, I've put up with your remarks this whole competition because I'm a pushover, but for the love of god, stop being a jackass.

xoxo

Love Tuberz

Eat shit and know your place. I don't just say stuff to just say it. I meant what I said about the vocals having to go and I told Rexy that about 3 or 4 days ago.

I don't pull punches and I don't beat around the bush. People who do so are only lying to themselves about their own feelings.

She wanted an opinion on what needed to be addressed prior to subbing to the judges and I gave my feedback and it's a very valid criticism because it sounds corny as hell. The music is good but that just drags it down.

And I said it in the wip thread and I am saying it here too. I am refusing to changing it.. At the end of the day, I'm an artist, and it's the vision for the track that needs to remain intact.

In fact, Lucavi was blunt about a LOT of things in that IRC conversation that night, not just me. So basically, his point is invalid. :|

Well it is your mix so you can obviously keep it the way you want and I hope it passes the panel. I'll still download it because it really is a good remix. The vocal parts are small but, as you know, they just don't jive with me personally. I have yet to listen to the revised editions but I'm sure they sound just as good as the original.

And I don't mean to come off as brash or brazen. It's just how I am and it's just as bad in real life, it isn't just an 'internet tough guy' thing. So don't take what I say too literally as I mean well but I don't sugar coat things.

Eat shit and know your place.

Excuse me? Where on Earth is my place then Miss Pretentious?

Also, eating excrement is bad for my diet, probably best to follow the doctors orders.

I'm sure you've tested this dietary plan yourself. Amiritelol.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that you're a tool.

There is a MASSIVE difference to saying 'You could take the vocals out, I think they detract from the feeling'

From

'Leave out the crappy vocals'.

Also you've been making snide remarks this whole time. Don't act like you're righteous.

I KNOW I'm not righteous, cause I'm giving into my anger, which is something I don't do often.

I'm going to conclude this wall of text by saying that I'm so glad for everyone here to have produced such excellent music.

It's a true shame that things like this happen, which detract from the entire cohesive feel of the competition.

I'm sorry if I've fueled any sort of fire, but I couldn't help myself.

I love you guys. Especially SuperiorX. Without you, there wouldn't BE a competition. So thank you so much.

- Callum

Excuse me? Where on Earth is my place then Miss Pretentious?

Also, eating excrement is bad for my diet, probably best to follow the doctors orders.

I'm sure you've tested this dietary plan yourself. Amiritelol.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that you're a tool.

This is just mindless drivel and not worthy of a response. I'm sorry that I made you made enough to resort to name calling. I sincerely hope you don't stay mad for very long.

There is a MASSIVE difference to saying 'You could take the vocals out, I think they detract from the feeling'

From

'Leave out the crappy vocals'.

Also you've been making snide remarks this whole time. Don't act like you're righteous.

I KNOW I'm not righteous, cause I'm giving into my anger, which is something I don't do often.

I did, in fact, say it just like that to Rexy herself. It was a one on one conversation that you, obviously, didn't know about nor should you know about it or will ever know about it. It came off as brash but I'd hope she knew that I was referring to what I said in IRC the other night and it seems she did.

I'm going to conclude this wall of text by saying that I'm so glad for everyone here to have produced such excellent music.

It's a true shame that things like this happen, which detract from the entire cohesive feel of the competition.

I'm sorry if I've fueled any sort of fire, but I couldn't help myself.

I love you guys. Especially SuperiorX. Without you, there wouldn't BE a competition. So thank you so much.

- Callum

I'm glad you had fun. Coincidentally, I really liked your remix and thought it was going to beat Brandon in the first round. Kudos to you, chum.

This kind of conduct is unacceptable here.

First and only warning: tone down your posting style or face a ban.

Greetings,

First and foremost, I would like to say that I, in no way, think that my actions were justified and were merely stated out of personal anger towards Mr McGee. With that said, please don't include me in a double standard scenario. I do not appreciate being called out for what I said when it was a direct result to someone else's vulgar tirade. We were both in the wrong and while childish retaliation was a mistake on my part, by singling me out you effectively say that what Mr. McGee did was alright but my response towards him was reprehensible.

As a moderator for OCR, I would think that you take your job seriously and as a person of some authority, would come into every situation that requires your attention with an unbiased outlook. I would also hope that you read every post and then make your judgment based on all of the facts. I can't assume that you didn't read the post that lead up to my use of vulgarities but, if you didn't, I will include them here for your benefit. I was flat out told, and I quote, to 'just shut the fuck up'. Please excuse my use of another vulgar word but I have no choice as it was the words used by Mr. McGee himself.

I feel that I have expressed my concern in the matter and I thank you for you attention and your diligent work here on the OCR forums.

Sincerely,

Lucavi00

With all of this said and done, I will no longer humor any more of this nonsense. If you wish to continue this line of discussion further then I implore you to send me a private message.

Thank you.

Uh huh. Double standard all the way across the sky.

Do people not read any more? Apparently you didn't read the post that lead to that response. I'll let you read it and then maybe you can readjust your post accordingly. Please send me a PM if you need more help on the matter.

Thank you.

Do people not read any more? Apparently you didn't read the post that lead to that response. I'll let you read it and then maybe you can readjust your post accordingly. Please send me a PM if you need more help on the matter.

Thank you.

Nah, I did. My statement stands as is.

EDIT: Oh wait, he also called you a tool and a dick. My apologies, but that doesn't exactly add up to what you said.

Nah, I did. My statement stands as is.

EDIT: Oh wait, he also called you a tool and a dick. My apologies, but that doesn't exactly add up to what you said.

It seems as if I made you mad. Maybe we can discuss this further in a PM like civilized adults? I would love the chance to right any wrongs I have clearly put you through. And you are right, it does not add up. I feel that what he said was much worse than what I said but that is just my opinion versus yours but that still does not justify either responses. Again, PM me and we can discuss this further.

Thank you.

OK that's enough. Seriously take this offline please. Last time I checked, the final round of the SZRC was Amphibious vs. Gario. Anybody else have some comments on their final songs?

I plan on putting together a final ZIP file of all the mixes this weekend. I know I mentioned it earlier, but if anyone has any significantly revised versions of their compo songs (new parts, revised arrangements etc., not just volume/level tweaks) or songs inspired by the compo (i.e., Rexy's song), let me know by the weekend so I can include them in the final ZIP. Thanks!

I've got some quick reviews on the final round:

Amphibious: This mix has a really crisp & clear polished sound to it! Probably one of the most "complete" electronica mixes I've heard from you. Very good arrangement and sound design choices! I really enjoy the bass that comes in around 0:43. It's got an awesome low frequency range, but has a really nice paramento glide inbetween notes (great job whatever you did there). The other synths and rhythm guitar fit in perfectly with the overall soundscape, as does the pad. The percussion, while not incredibly diverse, is interesting and keeps the beat driving forward. I felt like something different melody-wise was going to be introduced in the second half to keep things fresh, but overall no complaints. This was a very enjoyable, high energy piece! Great work!

Gario: Nice intro and layering of the different instruments. Prophecy's spoken word intro and the DAA DAAA DAAAAAAAAA was pretty funny and definitely set the tone for what I could expect from the rest :-D The instrument at 0:35 felt incredibly abrasive the first time I heard it, but it's since grown on me. KingTiger's vocals feel like they could've been a little clearer, but overall I really dig the fun lyrics and I think the sound does fit the rest of the soundscape well enough. And damn that chorus is catchy as hell. I've caught myself singing "8-bit, 16-bit, or even higher..." quite a few times this week :-P I love all the little references to some of the other songs you remixed and the idea of bringing back a lot of your past opponents is a really cool idea. And then there is a little rap about pancakes. Priceless. Unless you've been closely following this thread, this song would make no sense hahaha. While, sure this song isn't as polished as your others, it is super fun and that more than makes up for it IMO. It has a sorta endgame/credits song feel to me, so it definitely feels like a fitting "end" to your run and the compo in general.

I honestly don't know which song I'm going to vote for yet. There are aspects of each that are clearly superior to the other, but I'm not sure which one I like more overall. Only time will tell! Great job both of you and great job to everyone that's participated in the compo. It has been a blast, and yes, we're all winners since we have 58 new Sonic remixes :mrgreen:

OK that's enough. Seriously take this offline please.

Sorry SupX, I apologize for any inconvenience and the issue has been hopefully taken care of.

As for remix reviews:

Amphibious: I just love the overall feel of the mix and SupX pretty much hit every nail on the head. This song is just good ol' electronica fun.

Gario: The backing music is fantastic but I feel that the beat seemed a bit too fast for the rapping sections. It sounded like King Tiger was slurring the words along and it was really hard for me to get a grasp on what he was saying on my initial listen. Other than that, it was pretty solid.

Edit: Gario, I'd like to see you revisit your mix and fix it up and get it subbed to the judges. Same for Amph. I totally think they would pass.