SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

I know the rapping is a little fast & unclear for everyone (though much clearer than my last track's vocals), but I have to give him some major props for the vocals - he did these in an evening, then sent me edits the night before submission when I asked. He really pulled through with the rap, so he gets major props from me.

I know the rapping is a little fast & unclear for everyone (though much clearer than my last track's vocals), but I have to give him some major props for the vocals - he did these in an evening, then sent me edits the night before submission when I asked. He really pulled through with the rap, so he gets major props from me.

Oh, when you put it in that context then, yes, he did a very good job. I, too, give the king of tigers props.

I've got some quick reviews on the final round:

I honestly don't know which song I'm going to vote for yet. There are aspects of each that are clearly superior to the other, but I'm not sure which one I like more overall.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I keep waffling between them. Amphibious's is clean and precise, very well done. Gario's is... interesting. I can't decide whether it's interesting in a good or bad way. It's funny, but the parts that are funny aren't always the best musically. I'm not a big fan of rap, and it repeats a lot (can't blame whoever wrote it though, given the time crunch). I'll certainly remember it for a long time, and you could call that a win regardless of how the voting goes.

Hey, I have a question. Comp is over for the most part but I was wondering something. Was Doomsday Zone a legit choose able zone for the competition?

I'm thinking about sources picked and I'm surprised that some were picked in favor of the more popular ones.

I'm really shocked that no one chose Flying Battery.

Gario asked the same thing before the compo started. I think we decided that, no, Doomsday Zone wasn't legit cause it's not really a zone, just a boss fight. As for Flying Battery, I think at least 2 people had it as their #2 choice. I think a lot of people were going for sources that hadn't been mixed a whole lot. Sure, a lot of the classics are great, but they've already gotten a lot of coverage. It's cool to hear some of the more obscure zones too.

Last time I checked, the final round of the SZRC was Amphibious vs. Gario

Maybe so, but no matter what I'll still be remembering this stage as Lucavi versus the World. :-P

I definitrly enjoyed the music making component of the contest, and the support both in and out of the community has been neat. :-) But in the end, I can't see myself doing another tourney style compo of this caliber for the sake of my mental health. I do still want to make mashups like this, so what would be the best suggestion for the future?

That probably might have been the stupidest question I ever asked o.o

Will there be a full release, i.e. a zip file with all the tracks numbered and tagged in an album?

Yes there will be, I mentioned a couple times that it will probably be up this weekend. It'll include a few bonus tracks, complete lyrics, and any fixed tags.

I do still want to make mashups like this, so what would be the best suggestion for the future?

Ummmm, I'm not sure I really have a good answer. The organized compos are probably the most "official" way to make mashups, so maybe just keep an eye out for more team-based, less competitive compos (like the WCRG) in the future? Or just make mashups whenever you feel like it and then post them in the WIP forums :razz:

Yes there will be, I mentioned a couple times that it will probably be up this weekend. It'll include a few bonus tracks, complete lyrics, and any fixed tags.

Ummmm, I'm not sure I really have a good answer. The organized compos are probably the most "official" way to make mashups, so maybe just keep an eye out for more team-based, less competitive compos (like the WCRG) in the future? Or just make mashups whenever you feel like it and then post them in the WIP forums :razz:

Yeah the last one is basically it.

Or there's also the idea of running a non-tournament compo with only two competitors per week. Each remixer picks a source from any game they want and PM the compo runner their pick. The day the competition starts, the compo runner posts the two sources and the remixers go. At the end, everyone votes, and that's it. You could call it like, "ReMixing Fight Club" or something.

I once told DarkeSword about an idea I had for a "Colossus Compo" wherein people could pick any source they wanted. There'd be a certain amount of spots, and everyone would start at the base of a pyramid. The person who won would be the person who survived to the top of the pyramid. Then something would happen once they were on the tip. Maybe they'd get sucked into space or something.

I still might owe a painting to whoever wins this thing. I am not very good at painting and I haven't practiced at all, but I'm true to my word if nothing else.

Yeah the last one is basically it.

Or there's also the idea of running a non-tournament compo with only two competitors per week. Each remixer picks a source from any game they want and PM the compo runner their pick. The day the competition starts, the compo runner posts the two sources and the remixers go. At the end, everyone votes, and that's it. You could call it like, "ReMixing Fight Club" or something.

I like this idea. But don't call it Fight Club; we wouldn't be able to talk about it and I'm pretty sure we want people to know of it. :P

One of my early ideas for Remixing With the Stars was for each participant to pick a source, and in each round they'd have to mash up the sources of the Novice and the Star. Would have been an interesting chance to mix up totally different sources, e.g. if the theme was 8-bit vs. 16-bit, the Novices could pick any 8-bit source and the Stars could pick any 16-bit source.

Perhaps if after 2 years of Robot Masters and Mavericks we still haven't had enough Mega Man, there could be a Mega Man vs. Mega Man X compo with a similar format. That could be pretty awesome.

Maybe so, but no matter what I'll still be remembering this stage as Lucavi versus the World. :-P

I definitrly enjoyed the music making component of the contest, and the support both in and out of the community has been neat. :-) But in the end, I can't see myself doing another tourney style compo of this caliber for the sake of my mental health. I do still want to make mashups like this, so what would be the best suggestion for the future?

That probably might have been the stupidest question I ever asked o.o

THE WORLD!

Also, you know exactly what mash-up to do to make me happy. Crisis City vs Planet Wisp. Chop chop.

I like this idea. But don't call it Fight Club; we wouldn't be able to talk about it and I'm pretty sure we want people to know of it. :P

C'mon guys, don't you know the first rule of ReMixing Fight Club is you don't talk about ReMixing Fight Club? That sounds like a cool and fun idea though.

Perhaps if after 2 years of Robot Masters and Mavericks we still haven't had enough Mega Man, there could be a Mega Man vs. Mega Man X compo with a similar format. That could be pretty awesome.

Oooh yeah, that'd be fun. I don't think it could be the typical bracket-style tournament though. We could match up Robot Masters vs. Mavericks in the first round, but after that there'd be no guarantee we wouldn't get RM vs RM or M vs M matchups after that, depending on who won.

Oooh yeah, that'd be fun. I don't think it could be the typical bracket-style tournament though. We could match up Robot Masters vs. Mavericks in the first round, but after that there'd be no guarantee we wouldn't get RM vs RM or M vs M matchups after that, depending on who won.
Yeah... I can think of formats that make sense (e.g. round-robin), but without elimination it would take forever even if no one took breaks in between mixes.

I suppose you could do a last-man-standing model: After each round of eliminations, randomly pair the survivors, and if one side or the other is doing better, the extra participants would just sit out a round. It could be pretty hard for a team to catch up, though, since the winners risk fewer casualties. Could do it in waves (reinforcements) instead of brackets, that might help.

Ah, cool. I haven't been following this competition, so I didn't really read much through the tread and didn't know it was mentioned. Looking forward to it!

More Jordanius loving?! :D Man, though I was gutted that you went out in the first round, it's great to see you bouncing back too. It'll be cool to see what you've got :D

It is pretty amazing IMO. You guys will like it.

FYI everybody, I'm going to be out-and-about most of tomorrow, I plan on tallying the votes and announcing the winner of the compo tomorrow at noon like normal, but I won't get around to updating the final bracket image or posting the final compo ZIP file + bonus tracks until sometime Sunday probably.

And the results are in:

Amphibious: 27, Gario: 10

AMPHIBIOUS WINS!!!!!!!!!!!

Although the final round voting was a little lopsided, I really thought both songs were a lot of fun and they were a fitting end to what has been a really exciting competition! I want to personally thank each and every one of you that participated in the tournament in any way. Thanks to all the ReMixers who made some truly amazing music for us each week and thanks to all the voters/supporters who listened and voted on the songs every round too! This has truly been a blast for me to host and I'm really ecstatic with the level of interest & support everyone in the community displayed throughout the competition. So yeah, thank you everyone! Since this has been so successful, I think I'll plan on hosting a SZRC on a yearly basis (similar to how DarkeSword hosts the Mega Man compos yearly), if there is continued interest.

If anyone has any feedback for me, in terms of how the compo was ran, structure of the tournament, voting, or anything at all, please feel free to let me know! I'd like to incorporate suggestions into the next compo, if there is anything that needs adjusted. Thanks!