SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

Then again, if Brandon Strader and Jason Covenant had the same thing happen to THEM in Street Fighter, with THEIR first round matchups, then what have I to lose?

...SOMEBODY had to lose. Both of them had great entries, and they lost to other great entries.

I could complain about losing to Gario too, but... I'm not gonna, cause in the end it doesn't matter all that much

Yes, but I just didn't think that GLL and Main Finger did as great as either respective artist IMO (though Jason vs MF was goddamn close imo). But let's save that for the SF thread then :razz:

Yes, please. I really don't want any voting controversies, we haven't even started the compo yet :-) I'm sure we're all going to do a great job and everyone will rejoice!

Alrighty, time to pick the draft!

... I think I have a strange preference for these two soundtracks. Imagine that.

Also, if there isn't at least one newer generation sonic track in this compo (anything past Sonic 3d) I will be thoroughly disappointed.

Also, I know this is a technicality, but does 'Doomsday Zone' from S&K count as a viable zone or is discounted because it's also boss music for Metal Sonic? I know people will think it's the latter, but if it IS viable I'm sure people would like to know ('cause the music is fucking awesome).

Also, I know this is a technicality, but does 'Doomsday Zone' from S&K count as a viable zone or is discounted because it's also boss music for Metal Sonic? I know people will think it's the latter, but if it IS viable I'm sure people would like to know ('cause the music is fucking awesome).

Yeah... I was trying to decide this myself the other day. When I looked at the Zone, it's not your typical zone, you just fly around the asteroid field in space and fight the final boss, so I'm going to lean towards it being more of a Boss Zone/theme than a traditional Zone theme.

The music is pretty awesome, but it's also really repetitive so it also might not fit too well with the rest of the soundtracks. I think I'm going to say NO on allowing it, unless someone really really wants it for some reason and can make a compelling argument as to why we should include it. But probably NO.

Also, it's great to have everyone signing up so fast! There were a few others I've spoken with (Ben Briggs, Sir Jordanius, maybe halc) that said they were going to get in on this too, so we should have quite the lineup! :-D

1,2,3,4,5) Wild Canyon (SA2)

Knuckles is so gangsta.

Actual picks:

1) Rusty Ruins Zone (Sonic 3D Blast GENESIS VERSION)

2) Planet Wisp (Sonic Colours)

3) Aquatic Ruin (Sonic 2)

4) Diamond Dust Zone (Sonic 3D Blast GENESIS VERSION)

5) Lava Reef (Sonic & Knuckles)

Yeahhh! So excited.

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is an identical soundtrack to the Dreamcast one! Just saying.

Splash Hill Zone (Sonic 4 Episode 1 - DLC)

Route 99 (Sonic Advanced 3 - GBA)

I am not sure if the Ice Cap Zone theme from the PC version of Sonic 3 is acceptable here. I know for a fact that it bears no resemblance to the original, but if there is any trouble caused by it, you can just remove it from the list.

I am so getting pumped for this competition!!! :<

Also, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is an identical soundtrack to the Dreamcast one! Just saying.

Awesome thanks! And what is Planet Wisp? Is it a zone or a map or what? I've never played Sonic Colors so I don't know. But Brandon Strader just asked me if he could join, but he wants to choose Planet Wisp, but he said it was "map" music, so we weren't sure if that would count. Anyone know?

Awesome thanks! And what is Planet Wisp? Is it a zone or a map or what? I've never played Sonic Colors so I don't know. But Brandon Strader just asked me if he could join, but he wants to choose Planet Wisp, but he said it was "map" music, so we weren't sure if that would count. Anyone know?

This is the theme right here:

The map theme is pretty different:

SO PUMPED! Sonic music deserves the love.

The map is a stage select, so the music on the map itself would not qualify, since it's not a zone per se. However, if he chooses Planet Wisp, he has access to all of those stages. They are all mostly the same, with minor differences in each stage.

I'm not sure if you're at 100% capacity yet for this competition, if so that's cool... if not...

I may get absolutely destroyed on my first match-up, but I'll be you-know-what if that's going to stop me from trying this and having fun participating!

My picks, Mr. Matt:

1. Quartz Quadrant (Sonic the Hedgehog CD [JP] - Sega CD)

2. Palmtree Panic (Sonic the Hedgehog CD [uS] - Sega CD)

3. Chrome Gadget Zone (Sonic the Hedgehog 3 - Sega Genesis)

4. Wacky Workbench (Sonic the Hedgehog CD [uS] - Sega CD)

5. Lost World (Sonic Adventure - Dreamcast)

There is an overworld map for all the stages in Sonic Colours, but Planet Wisp has multiple actual acts that have stage music in addition to the map music (I wouldn't be using the map music). They've all got the same general theme with minor changes.

Gario - (or if anyone else knows)... is the music in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle different than just Sonic Adventure 2? I thought they had the same levels, but I'm not sure.

I think they're the same. Sorry if there's confusion, I'm just familiar with the GC version of the game.

EDIT: Holy fuck, I still have another compo to finish. Damnit, Sonic, you so distracting!