SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

That may be a bit difficult if you're going for specific hits as opposed to the electronic reversed swelling type. For rolls that actually feel the tapping, orchestral rolls are most likely your best bet; I in particular like using the EWQLSO Gold cymbals to that affect, though it's safe to say they're definitely not in your price range right now >_>

If you just want a nice swell and you have $60 or so to spare, I would recommend Wave Alchemy Pack 01, take their cymbal selections (nice range in regards to tones too, particularly in regards to your chilled house style), reverse and apply whatever effects you would like on them. The other samples on board can also expand your selection in regards to minimal electronic percussion.

In other news... seems as if the Windows updates have officially killed this laptop - it just keeps getting dirty, and I've ran about 6 checkdisks in the space of 2 weeks, which just doesn't seem right. And after a discussion about potential computer upgrading with my mother (actually she started the subject after she got a laptop for herself last week), it seems like I'm going to have to get a new PC myself sometime soon. 4GB of RAM and Intel 4 just won't cut it anymore for what I plan to do with it <_<

I've got a ton of WAV one-shots at home that might work depending on what you need. When I get home from work let me take a look at what I got and I could upload a zip and send them to you.

Or you could just post em here. I have had a similar need for said cymbals.

Or you could just post em here. I have had a similar need for said cymbals.

So I thought I had a lot more cymbal rolls then I apparently do, which is I guess why I haven't used them much lol. Here is a collection of cymbal everything I have, crashes, hits, rolls, etc. Maybe one of them will help? I'll leave these up for a few days then probably take the zip down cause I don't want to drain my box.net bandwidth. These are all one-shot WAVs, by the way:

DO A CYMBAL ROLL!

Ok here are some reviews for the week:

Me: Yeah I'm commenting on my own song... just wanted to say I had a lot of fun trying out the house/techno genre. I thought I did a pretty good job for my first attempt, and I think I might do some more in this genre in the future.

Rexy: So I guess your song is a bit more 'dancey' then mine. I think your take on the Lava Reef melody in the intro has a very upbeat, "Sonic" feel to it, I dig it. I really don't like that silly vocal clip in the intro, but eh oh well. A few parts of the beginning half of the song felt a little too repetitive (but I suppose the same could be said for my song, or the genre in general), but I absolutely loved the second half of the song. Particularly starting at the 2:26 section, I like the call-and-return with the sound effects, that was really well done. I also really enjoy the Robotnik Boss cameo at 2:58, that just fit perfectly. The ending with the Lava Reef 2 cameo was sweet too. Really solid song overall! After hearing both of our songs I really thought the voting would be closer, but you're destroying me so far :?

Phonetic Hero: I really like the variation of genres in this song, it's like the song can't quite make up it's mind as to what genre it wants to be :smile: There is some of your classic 'temple' sounding stuff in there, some chip elements, some whatever that lead synth is, etc. A really eclectic soundscape. Somehow it all seems to fit together though. The arrangement probably could've been expanded a bit more, but given your time constraints and working conditions, I'd say it ended up remarkably well. Nice job!

Amphibious: Damn sir I love that intro, starting right out with the heavy kick and high-freq synth. The bass sounds super awesome as well. The song takes a little while to get going (not until :45 or so), but once it does I really dig it. I love your style on the Hill Top melody, I think it does a great job capturing that house style. The transition to Rusty Ruin is pretty seamless too. Once again you have a really clear & well-mixed soundscape, nice job! 3 minutes is awfully short for a song of this style tho, it feels like it's over almost before it even began, but what you do have is really solid & enjoyable stuff. It's going to be hard to pick between you and Pete this round, they're both great.

Good work guys! I can't wait to hear what the Robotniks have for us this coming Saturday! It should be 2 good matchups!

Thanks for the feedback Matt (and to some extent the cymbals; may take a look into them myself :razz: )! Glad to see you liked how things are turning out in Sonic Round 3 as a whole.

In regards to the voice clip of choice, there's an interesting story to go for it. Originally, I was hoping to use this one (albeit with Dana Gould's voiceover instead of Leslie Philips; liked the delivery on both though xD), but as the track further developed, it just felt really out of place, hence having to find something briefer, to the point and kinda similar. It was indeed one of the factors that inspired the genre direction - for the past 5 months I've been spending a lot of time in the gym, and in that time I've shedded over 35 pounds, so to me it feels like a nod on getting my health back together. Amusingly, its working title was indeed "The Floating Island Fitness Club", which ultimately ended up becoming way too corny the more I worked on it.

There we go, Rexy's random thoughtful rambles #492. :razz:

Not yet, but I bet it's because its minimalism could fit almost anywhere :P

In other news, got a new PC. Got everything re-installed onto it... except Cubase, which was refusing to install. That may be no big deal since I'm now a Reaper user now, but I still have some WIPs in Cubase that I would still like to work with. Does anyone want to offer converting whatever's in them into MIDI data and send them back? :P

That's what Brandon said last time, but then still made a song in a day anyway.

Well yeah but the situation was different then... :cry:

I'll give it a good try. I came up with 1 guitar riff. I might as well make a rock song because that'd probably be the easiest thing to make with such low time left... I dunno :-)

Certainly don't think you can relax though if you wanna beat me.

Cause, like..... What if I'm kidding? :-o

If I'm not kidding you won't be upset that you put in the extra effort, you'll be glad you made the best song you could do, even if you were unopposed.

I'm not kidding though, but I'm gonna try to make something, I've still got tonight and tomorrow. And could possibly re-amp the guitars before noon on Saturday.