SZRC - The Sonic Zone Remix Competition 2012

SuperiorX

-Personal Opinion Incoming-

At the end of the day, i've been voting on the songs i liked the sound of, and more or less the ones that actually dared to do something original and different.

Amph had this vote from me, not only because i utterly love mellow chilled out music like that but because quite frankly this competition showcased some really original takes on tunes and THAT was one of them.

Sadly though, it seems the tunes i felt had the most original takes and directions are the ones that seem to be losing.

But no, i hope Amph makes this one. That was one hell of a gamble on a tune instead of taking a safe route. Come to the final Sonic bracket battle with smooth jazz? Now that's admirable.

By this point, the sources have been drained to death. If you're not doing something completely different then it's just going to sound samey to me.

Either way though, whoever wins this one, you two did great jobs on producing those tunes. May the best remixer win! :)

Well no offense, but... Amph's mix disappointed me.

Sure, he did great with towing in Xenon Odyssey on the sax, which was cool but here's my biggest beef - he didn't even weave the sources together. To me it sounds like two separate mixes - a rhodes Emerald Hill in the beginning, and a smooth jazz Rusty Ruin right after. It just DOESN'T work on an arrangement front. :cry:

That's been my biggest problem all the way through - treatment of Emerald Hill was really sketchy at best. And sure, I may have had some iffy issues with DusK early on, but... I have to say, he had the BEST treatment of the source throughout the entire competition in regards to my competitors.

Seriously, no offense to anyone here, but I would LOVE to go up against either Brandon or Gario, to make sure I can REALLY go out with dignity. I want to see it being made HAPPEN - let's do it!! :)

Well no offense, but...
Well, each to their own. People like different things and different tastes. One style will resonate better with certain people while the same style will not with others, it's just personal opinions ...and that's what these votes are all based on, at the end of the day. At least, they should be. I was just going by what was asked of me when i started voting for these tracks.

Different musicians got in to this competition for different reasons, everybody has a goal they're aiming for here, whether it be to just have fun or if you're like me you wanted to see how well a rap would go down in a competition like this. For me, it was my own test, one of which presented itself when AkumaJo asked me to team up with him. I felt it was a good a time as any to see how far a rap can go with the musicians around here. The end result provided me what i wanted to know and i was satisfied.

All the best to both of you either way, as i said before.

I'm sorry, I was struggling to condense my message xD That's what i'm like with PMs, struggling to get everything out in one sitting.

But yes, usually I tend to be a lot less biased in regards to styles, and pay more attention to the arrangement side of things, which seems to be the centerpiece of the whole thing. I don't care if it's rap, dubstep, rock, classical, or even motherflocking bluegrass - if they ticked the right boxes on the arrangement front for me, then that gives them a bloomin' high chance of getting a vote from me.

So far I like Rexy's track better - but I'm not going to vote until I have had a chance to absorb both tracks. I do like me some sax by they way :)

I am struggling with the realisation that all of the slow songs that were paired against more upbeat/faster tempo songs lost. This saddens me, but I don't want it to be a reason to vote against a faster tempo song just to vote for the underdog. I just wish I found one of the slower songs better than its competition pairing.

Oh don't worry, Dustin. It all comes down to the natural choice of votes at the end of the day.

I mean, Wildfire did really well against Mokram and halc with more laid back entries, and I feel really surprised with her reaching Round 3. Not to mention that I genuinely thought Syllix did the better song in Round 3 either, but again, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Oh balls, that reminds me... pancake commentary is still late... >__>

I'm sorry, I was struggling to condense my message xD
That's fine. Glad you got back to me and we spoke things out :)
But I'm not going to vote until I have had a chance to absorb both tracks.
And that is exactly how i treat every track in this competition too. Granted, there's always going to be a level of personal taste as well but it always makes a vote feel more legit when you've given the songs a proper listening to and weighed them up evenly.

Well no offense, but... Amph's mix disappointed me.

Sure, he did great with towing in Xenon Odyssey on the sax, which was cool but here's my biggest beef - he didn't even weave the sources together. To me it sounds like two separate mixes - a rhodes Emerald Hill in the beginning, and a smooth jazz Rusty Ruin right after. It just DOESN'T work on an arrangement front. :cry:

That's been my biggest problem all the way through - treatment of Emerald Hill was really sketchy at best. And sure, I may have had some iffy issues with DusK early on, but... I have to say, he had the BEST treatment of the source throughout the entire competition in regards to my competitors.

Seriously, no offense to anyone here, but I would LOVE to go up against either Brandon or Gario, to make sure I can REALLY go out with dignity. I want to see it being made HAPPEN - let's do it!! :)

Honestly, I don't see why themes have to be so intricately weaved all the time. My best mix from the Wily competition, which won a round and I've recently submitted, used Shadow Man as much of the melodic material throughout but the Wily theme as the bridge. They weren't weaved together, per se, but it worked well in terms of song structure. In my mix this week, Rusty Ruin is a light supplement to the Emerald Hill verses with those floaty blips, and I guess the sax can be seen as a chorus. As a jazzy tune, I feel this setup works as a good and listenable song structure. Its the style that I like to use, and to me it just works. Sorry if that's disappointing.

I would love to go up against Gario or Brandon too, as I absolutely adore their themes. I'm glad I've made it this far though, as I really didn't expect it. But I've been trying very hard and I'm pretty proud of all of my mixes, considering before the Wily competition I pretty much had absolutely no remix experience. And I am thankful for all the positive feedback I've received throughout this competition.

I state an opinion and it's become 'self-righteous'?

Honestly, I didn't mean to inflate an ego, or bring anyone down. I compliment the genre work in Amph's track, and I know that he's flexible as a producer, so I can really see him doing good. But I really, REALLY didn't mean to upset anyone. I don't want it to be too late - can we all just brush this aside and move on?

Honestly, I feel like public enemy #1 here right now... :(

I state an opinion and it's become 'self-righteous'?

Honestly, I didn't mean to inflate an ego, or bring anyone down. I compliment the genre work in Amph's track, and I know that he's flexible as a producer, so I can really see him doing good. But I really, REALLY didn't mean to upset anyone. I don't want it to be too late - can we all just brush this aside and move on?

Honestly, I feel like public enemy #1 here right now... :(

Saying you are disappointed with my mix and that you want to go against Gario or Brandon so you can go out with dignity is pretty insulting. I don't know how else to interpret that. Telling us Radio Sega has your back wasn't really necessary either.

I'll move on, sure, but you should just be more careful with what you say. That's all.

Man what's wrong with you guys derailing this good thread and getting DarkeSword in here to keep order? What are you, childrens? :lol:

I finished a song yesterday and am finishing another one right now, then I could probably make the Sonic entry and hopefully I won't be too burned out on making other songs to finish that one. :-o

I finished a song yesterday and am finishing another one right now, then I could probably make the Sonic entry and hopefully I won't be too burned out on making other songs to finish that one. :-o

Good luck sir! And no one is going to believe you cause you say this every week and then make a song in like a day each time :grin: Plus you can't be too burnt out after making these claims:

UP WITH PANCAKES, DOWN WITH FILTHY LIZARDS!! DOWN WITH GARIO!! PREPARE TO BE DESTROYED!!!
I will decapitate Mrs. Butterworth all over Gario's pancakey corpse!

I think the only question left now is which of the two of you will wait to start the latest on your song? Since you both seem to enjoy making them at the last possible moment :razz:

I may have been a little silly then, I apologize.

Listened to the new songs, thought I'd go for Amphibious because I loved the ePiano, but then the song really didn't ever go anywhere, and Rexy's was more engaging and better produced, so I went Rexy. Nice work on this round, folks. :-)

Glad you at least like the ePiano, I'm a sucker for that thing. :<

In retrospect I coulda done more if I was able to really devote a lot of quality time to this mix, but I'm happy with what I was able to accomplish anyways.

I've been thinking about what I want to do a lot, and I keep coming back to, vocal track. I know people don't like vocals, and if I use them, I may be a shoe-in for the way out. But at this point, I've done so much with Planet Wisp, and this feels like the way to go musically and it's something I wanna do as a fartist. So yeah! If I actually finish the song, I may lose anyway, and I'll be ok with that, because I'm gonna have lots and lots of fun. Good luck to you Gario. :-P

I've been thinking about what I want to do a lot, and I keep coming back to, vocal track. I know people don't like vocals, and if I use them, I may be a shoe-in for the way out. But at this point, I've done so much with Planet Wisp, and this feels like the way to go musically and it's something I wanna do as a fartist. So yeah! If I actually finish the song, I may lose anyway, and I'll be ok with that, because I'm gonna have lots and lots of fun. Good luck to you Gario. :-P

If you want, I can offer my vocal sorta-talents as a "secret weapon" :)

If you want, I can offer my vocal sorta-talents as a "secret weapon" :)

YES AND YES DO IT BOTH OF YOU!!!! Even before I read wildfire's reply, I was already thinking that Brandon AND wildfire should do some vocals on the song.

Bring your sweet vocal duet UP IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!