Skullgirls: Living Weapon Hats!

k-wix

I was really surprised there wasn't a thread to discuss the game, so lets make one! For those not in the know, Skullgirls is a gorgeous and fast-paced 2D fighting game that is really well designed, and isn't too expensive. It has some notable features including:

- Built in 'infinite prevention'.

- A variable tag-battle system that lets you choose how many fighters to use.

- The best looking 2d Artwork I think i've ever seen in a fighting game.

- GGPO Netcode

- Really good soundtrack by Michiru Yamane.

- Planned DLC Characters

After spending a few days with the game, I really can't get over the art style. Love it or hate it, It blows me away how good it looks. The game honestly reminds me of Guilty Gear, it feels very fast-paced with a lot of hard timing links and air-friendly juggle combos. As someone who commonly enjoys the grappler type characters, Cerebella seems to be just too good. I also found Ms. Fortune and Filia to be extremely easy to pick up and just do well with. I had a much harder time with Painwheel - Her links seem to be tough and a LOT of her normals hit multiple times and just seem to reduce the damage of her overall combo by a large margin.

Has anyone else been playing the game lately? What are your thoughts? We have a lot of fighting game enthusiasts in the community, so I'm pretty curious to see what everything thinks.

If anyone wants to play some games on PSN, feel free to hit me up, my PSN name is simply 'k-wix'.

Well, I gotta say I have been enjoying the hell out of this game. If anyone is wondering how it compares to other fighting games, I would say it's a mix of most of the Fighting games (SFxT, SF4, UMvC3, Blazblue) but leaning towards UMvC3. It's got a speed just under UMvC3, which feels great. It also feels really solid though, kinda like Blazblue. So in conclusion fast like UMvC3, but really tight like Blazblue.

I also LOVE the animation and art style in this game, superb on every level.

As for characters, I really like to play as all of them, I'm best with valentine, but I have the most fun as Miss Fortune or Fillia.

I will say that the final boss can drive you up a wall if you are certain characters and be a cakewalk with others.

As for characters, I really like to play as all of them, I'm best with valentine

Her poison gimmick is one of the coolest I've seen in a fighting game. She has a move that basically lets her load one of three different type of poisons into a dart, and she can toss or directly inject you with it, and each poison has a unique effect, one is a simple 'damage over time' which I think is pretty common in fighting games, but the 2nd makes it so that any time she hits the enemy, they stay in hitstun for like.. a full second, this allows her to chain pretty much anything she wants until the poison ends. The third poison forces the opponent to have some control delay on all commands entered, which is basically like injecting your opponent with lag. Really neat ideas.

I've been playing since launch and have been really enjoying it so far. Like you said, the art/music/gameplay is awesome.

The thing that strikes me most, aside from how awesome the previously mentioned things are (art/music/gameplay), is how infrequently I experience those "Argh!"/facepalm moments.

I played a ton of MVC2 and 3 and absolutely love them, but an OTG window so wide you could practically go make yourself a sandwich before deciding to go for the hit (MVC3...) or your incoming character getting tagged by Cable's unblockable fierce into 5 meters of AHVB for the lose... yeah, those elements weren't always enjoyable.

I hear folks jokingly calling Skullgirls "MVC without the nonsense", but it's a pretty nice way to put it: great gameplay that encourages creativity without frustratingly unfair elements." (though we can talk about Cerebella's damage output some other time, lol)

I'm also on PSN and up for a battle some time: PSN=Tekkaxe, and i'm running a Valentine/Ms.Fortune duo.

Well, I gotta say I have been enjoying the hell out of this game. If anyone is wondering how it compares to other fighting games, I would say it's a mix of most of the Fighting games (SFxT, SF4, UMvC3, Blazblue) but leaning towards UMvC3. It's got a speed just under UMvC3, which feels great. It also feels really solid though, kinda like Blazblue. So in conclusion fast like UMvC3, but really tight like Blazblue.

I also LOVE the animation and art style in this game, superb on every level.

As for characters, I really like to play as all of them, I'm best with valentine, but I have the most fun as Miss Fortune or Fillia.

I will say that the final boss can drive you up a wall if you are certain characters and be a cakewalk with others.

fighting her as Ms. Fortune is a pain cause that third form is mid-air target

Is it weird that I think that Double is the hottest?

Absolutely.

I hear folks jokingly calling Skullgirls "MVC without the nonsense", but it's a pretty nice way to put it: great gameplay that encourages creativity without frustratingly unfair elements." (though we can talk about Cerebella's damage output some other time, lol)

It reminds me more of Guilty Gear than MvC, but yea - to some extent I definitely agree. The game is still super young though, and I'm already seeing people online pulling off combos that are 50-60% of someones health which is a bit disturbing. I enjoy the mind-game aspect of fighting games more than anything else, and don't really like it when 1 or 2 combo's can spell the end of the game. It's probably my biggest gripe with the game.

And on the topic of Cerebella, as someone who commonly mains grapplers - I am of the opinion that she's one of the best characters in the game. Her throw game is absurd, she has huge range, and most of her throws lead into big damage combos. Her normals are really, really good. A good chunk of her moves have 1 or 2 hits of super armor, making it very difficult to play footsies with her or in some cases keep her away. And lastly - her mobility is really good.

Yea, Cerabella can smash face in easily with her high damage and reach.

I don't know if anyone else has been thinking this, but to me it seems like all the characters can be played two ways, like Cerabella can either just super armor attack you or just focus on grappling. That's one of the things I love is that all the characters are fleshed out so well they can't be classified as easily like some marvel characters.

Anyways, if any of you guys want to fight online, my PSN is CaptainADD. Send me a message via PS3 if you want to fight!

So are you saying that you think Cerebella is OP? I mean, I guess it seems that way now, but the thing I love about fighting games is who knows the tech that will surface down the road a little ways? I have seen a ton of Parasoul players, and I definitely liked the way she felt..... HAHA!

Also, don't judge me. I'm just into religious girls! :P

So are you saying that you think Cerebella is OP? I mean, I guess it seems that way now, but the thing I love about fighting games is who knows the tech that will surface down the road a little ways? I have seen a ton of Parasoul players, and I definitely liked the way she felt..... HAHA!

It's really hard to say who is op at this stage, and yea - things definitely change as people figure stuff out, but she just seems too good. I always feel like I have options on how to engage, I feel like I can safely grab opponents if I'm careful. Most of the things that your traditional 'grappler' has to struggle with - Cerebella has a very easy time with. I also feel like I have a strong presence in just about any matchup. A well-played Peacock can do some solid keepaway, but its honestly pretty easy to bulldoze her into a corner and force her to fight me.

Yeah, I suppose that she is pretty damn versatile for being a "grappler". She even has that fullscreen dive attack to get in there, and also works as a fantastic assist.

Maybe they will balance the game out? Or maybe they will go all Capcom on us and say "We don't care that Cerebella (Wesker) is overpowered, we like her(him) that way. In fact, let's buff her(him) because of all your bitching!