The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Medley

mrtrent

Not entirely original. I wanted to make a winds version of the Koji Kondo arrangement for all the kids that have gone to a Video Games Live concert and wanted to play it in their high school band. I changed up the instrumentation, did some extra variations on the melody, added the dungeon theme in the middle, ended it with the staff credits theme and my own fanfare.

http://soundcloud.com/mrtrent/the-legend-of-zelda-25th-1

Here is a video with game clips synced to it. Kind of adds to the nostalgia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45pzX86T3QM

Wow here we go,

First of all, I like this, I like everything about the Zelda games, and maybe most; the music.

I watched the youtube video for full nostalgic effect :-D

Now I don't know anything about you, but I can assume that you work with (or in) a smaller orchestra, correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyhow you made this, have you thought about the mixing part?

I don't know what it's called when you work with orchestras. Im talking about how you "arrange" the instruments.

What i missed in the arrangement.

At 1:55, when the Dungeon theme kicks in, I was waiting for sub bass, whole note playing instrument. Maybe a contrabass.

I can imagine that it is kinda hard to "fit" a contrabass in a school orchestra, but have you thought about arranging a Zelda medley for a bigger "band"?

Really liked it, as music and as a Zelda fan.

Peace

-Ski

Wow here we go,

First of all, I like this, I like everything about the Zelda games, and maybe most; the music.

I watched the youtube video for full nostalgic effect :-D

Now I don't know anything about you, but I can assume that you work with (or in) a smaller orchestra, correct me if i'm wrong.

Anyhow you made this, have you thought about the mixing part?

I don't know what it's called when you work with orchestras. Im talking about how you "arrange" the instruments.

What i missed in the arrangement.

At 1:55, when the Dungeon theme kicks in, I was waiting for sub bass, whole note playing instrument. Maybe a contrabass.

I can imagine that it is kinda hard to "fit" a contrabass in a school orchestra, but have you thought about arranging a Zelda medley for a bigger "band"?

Really liked it, as music and as a Zelda fan.

Peace

-Ski

Thanks for the kind words! When you say a sub bass playing a whole note, you mean like holding a sustained note or pedal tone ( the one note that doesn't change over a few chords)?

I actually have no access to any band of my own. I just send the sheet music out to which ever group asks for it from my youtube account. The ones who end up actually performing tend to be winds syphonies from various colleges. The problem with that though is that all I have to give to them is the written instructions, but I can't convey to each ensemble exactly what my vision for the song was or how It should be interpreted. Hearing an actual band performing Is way better than listening to my terrible synth demos, but the flip side is, sometimes, the players on certain parts aren't that strong, or an important part is missed, or just in recording it, you won't hear certain instruments ( like its very hard to hear the french horns and tuba in this recording). Hopefully some day I can get a group to do a studio recording so the parts come out more clearly. This was originally written for orchestra and should sound more "full" if it ever gets performed.

Thanks for the kind words! When you say a sub bass playing a whole note, you mean like holding a sustained note or pedal tone ( the one note that doesn't change over a few chords)?

This is what i mean:

http://snd.sc/HXRVSy

When the second "verse" kicks in, i added a synth called "Bigger legato strings".

This synth is playing whole notes, the same notes as the original bass line, but only the first note at the start of the bar. (with some exeptions)

Note that i also added a sine wave synth for more bass.

Now the point with this is to add a more dramatic effect. When the climax is building up I changed the legato synth to a tremolo string synth.

This is what i mean:

http://snd.sc/HXRVSy

When the second "verse" kicks in, i added a synth called "Bigger legato strings".

This synth is playing whole notes, the same notes as the original bass line, but only the first note at the start of the bar. (with some exeptions)

Note that i also added a sine wave synth for more bass.

Now the point with this is to add a more dramatic effect. When the climax is building up I changed the legato synth to a tremolo string synth.

Thansk! I'll take that into consideration when I revisit the score. I certainly need to do some revisions...I was wondering why I wasn't hearing certain parts that made the intro on the reprise of the overworld theme sound more full ( flute and clarinet runs) but when I looked at the score...it turns out I didn't update the winds version after I added it to the orchestra score.