Project M: Version 3.0 Releases Dec. 9th!

The Derrit

Haven't done much in terms of remixes recently but i'd be happy to lend a hand... will there be the possibility of multiple remixes of the same sources accepted for the mod? Not because I want to do more than 1 of the same source, but I don't want to remix any songs that are already claimed if you guys won't use more than one :)

Also, you guys do realize you're going to have to put simon belmont in this mod now right? RIGHT???? :P

If we do do this, I seriously want to try a hand at Earthbound. The Fourside stage specifically. If we do at least.

Sounds fine to me!

Haven't done much in terms of remixes recently but i'd be happy to lend a hand... will there be the possibility of multiple remixes of the same sources accepted for the mod? Not because I want to do more than 1 of the same source, but I don't want to remix any songs that are already claimed if you guys won't use more than one :smile:

What do you mean? Multiple remixes of the same song? That's kinda iffy. From the same source? Sure. Also depends on stage, though. Some only have two songs on them!

Dude, just... just use this, if epic chiptunes are what you're looking for

I can holler at Ben and halc, I'm sure they'd be stoked to have their music used. And this is seriously one of my favorites of theirs, ever, and it's even a Smash Brothers mix, technically

you know i've been thinking of this song since derrit posted the thread?

TWO MOAR QUESTIONS.

1) I'm a little bit confused about the looping. From what I read, it sounds like you guys will take care of the actual looping in the game and we just have to write the mix so it loops well. Is that right?

2) I know I keep getting way ahead of myself on this, but would you guys be up for some mixage for tracks others than those listed as well? I know you have those posted on top priority, but I think it would be neat to have some OCR representation in the other stages as well. If that's the case then I'd also like to point you here for some potentially awesome Sonic mixes, /shamelessplug

TWO MOAR QUESTIONS.

1) I'm a little bit confused about the looping. From what I read, it sounds like you guys will take care of the actual looping in the game and we just have to write the mix so it loops well. Is that right?

2) I know I keep getting way ahead of myself on this, but would you guys be up for some mixage for tracks others than those listed as well? I know you have those posted on top priority, but I think it would be neat to have some OCR representation in the other stages as well. If that's the case then I'd also like to point you here for some potentially awesome Sonic mixes, /shamelessplug

I don't know the implementation of how it works in the Smash code, but in general if you have a completed track, adding a loop point should be a relatively simple activity. Get a track finished first and we'll talk. :P

Second, other tracks are great! However, if we wanted to cover every franchise / every stage then we would have a completely unmanageable album on our hands. We do not have the manpower to pull off something the size of the larger site albums (see: the Final Fantasy albums), so we have to limit our scope in order to make this at all realistic.

I agree that all of this is getting well ahead of ourselves though. That's not a bad thing, but let's take things slowly, one step at a time.

Rex - BardicKnowledge covered it all pretty well. As long as you make the song feasibly loop, we can make it do so.

I'm working on a Goldenrod mix that could definitely work in Saffron City. Do we need the songs to directly correlate to the setting, or can we use alternate songs for locations (a la Saffrons old song being the theme of the games)?

That should be fine. Doesn't have to be the exact song used from that location - Brawl itself doesn't even come close to adhering to that. The most important thing is that the song somewhat fits the "mood" of the stage, I guess. A death metal Pokemon song is cool and all, but wouldn't really fit well on Saffron City 64.

Rex - BardicKnowledge covered it all pretty well. As long as you make the song feasibly loop, we can make it do so.

That should be fine. Doesn't have to be the exact song used from that location - Brawl itself doesn't even come close to adhering to that. The most important thing is that the song somewhat fits the "mood" of the stage, I guess. A death metal Pokemon song is cool and all, but wouldn't really fit well on Saffron City 64.

Haha don't worry, it's a fairly easy-listening chip song.

So maybe I missed it, but when do we need to have tracks by? I'm gonna be pretty musically busy in the coming weeks, but I can certainly find time to cook something up if I know when I need to have it by

you know i've been thinking of this song since derrit posted the thread?

Me too, I was just waiting for my time to strike :P FOR RUPEES!!

Second, other tracks are great! However, if we wanted to cover every franchise / every stage then we would have a completely unmanageable album on our hands. We do not have the manpower to pull off something the size of the larger site albums (see: the Final Fantasy albums), so we have to limit our scope in order to make this at all realistic.

hypothetically speaking, since there are 41 stages in brawl (including melee stages + hanenbow), one track per stage would make a ~40 track album, maybe 3-4 discs? the scope would be mitigated somewhat by the fact that the project would not be focused on remixing the entire soundtrack of one game (mixers could basically cherry pick their favourite sources from a number of other series) and also would not necessarily be restricted to entirely new tracks (for example if somebody wanted to contribute an older track modified for looping, etc.)

so say all that was not an issue, are there other concerns? like filesizes or something that would restrict how much content could actually be added?

im just thinking out loud

hypothetically speaking, since there are 41 stages in brawl (including melee stages + hanenbow), one track per stage would make a ~40 track album, maybe 3-4 discs? the scope would be mitigated somewhat by the fact that the project would not be focused on remixing the entire soundtrack of one game (mixers could basically cherry pick their favourite sources from a number of other series) and also would not necessarily be restricted to entirely new tracks (for example if somebody wanted to contribute an older track modified for looping, etc.)

so say all that was not an issue, are there other concerns? like filesizes or something that would restrict how much content could actually be added?

im just thinking out loud

I appreciate the enthusiam. However, without significant support from a lot of established artists, thinking about a large 40-track album is crazy. We currently don't have anything even approaching the level of support we need, and we very likely (read: 99.9999999%) will not be receiving it as there are already far too many projects in the pipeline here at OCR. I would be thrilled if I get enough people PM'ing me WIP tracks to warrant requesting an official project thread for a smaller album in the next few months. Baby steps, everyone!

If this project does begin to receive an amount of support that justifies a change in scope, then I'll make those adjustments. For now, a 10-12 track album is plenty ambitious, and we should be focusing on something that is both practical and attainable.

Lastly, on previous OCR tracks being utilized as music for Project: M -- I think it is a fantastic idea, and I'm sure the devs will poke around the site on their own time, finding mixes they think might be appropriate and getting permission from specific ReMixers. That is on the folks connected with the development of P:M (see Shadic's posts) and while it is a good idea, I don't think that it should be compounded into the album project or goals, lest things look too big, appear too confusing, and become too complex to organize.

• 2 weeks later...