more excel help requested: condense column into unique discrete cells

prophetik music

have a multi-worksheet file that i'm working with that includes several report worksheets and one data worksheet. I need to be able to copy-paste a large amount of exported data into the data worksheet and have it auto-populate onto the other worksheets. because of this, i need a formula that can be put solely on the destination sheets and not on the data sheet. i cannot use a macro as they're restricted on my client's machine. it must be a formula.

column B in the data worksheet is a list of names with multiple duplicates and blanks. i can remove the blanks and alphabetize if required pre-entry. here's an example:

Last Name, First Name:

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WYYYYYY, REBECCA

WYYYYYY, REBECCA

TXXXXXX, YI-WEN

i need this list to pull as follows:

WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER

WYYYYYY, REBECCA

TXXXXXX, YI-WEN

etc. the list will continue to grow as things get more complex. i think a pivot table may work, but i'd have to build seperate tables per month. a formula would be much easier.

i've tried using some match-based formulas i've found on the web, but they simply don't pull correctly cross-worksheet. assume that column B on the data worksheet is the names, starting at B3 and continuing indefinitely. also please assume that the output starts at B11 and continues for thirty lines.

is this possible? i think i spent two hours this morning trying to beat square formulas into my round requirement hole, but i just can't seem to get them to work.

Can you store some calculation data in some other columns either in the source or the destination worksheet? If so, this is one way I figured out (I tried also doing it all in a single function, as this site: http://www.exceltip.com/st/Retrieving_Unique_Values_From_A_List/805.html says, but I couldn't get that to work for me.)

Anyway, this method is based on adding an extra column to the original list that simple keeps a counter of the 'id' of each value found, and then using a VLOOKUP on those ids to build the unique list. I would recommend doing these calculations on some other worksheet that just copies in the original list to column B, so that column A can have the ids. Then, the VLOOKUPs can be in column D and E, and the final copy of the list can just directly copy those cells over.

Here's how it works using that layout:

Col A

=IF(B2=B1,A1,A1+1)

=IF(B3=B2,A2,A2+1)

Col B

Original list (copied in from source)

Col D

Col E

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D1,A$1:B$9,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(D1,A$1:B$9,2,FALSE))

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(D2,A$1:B$9,2,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(D2,A$1:B$9,2,FALSE))

Column E can then just be grabbed by whatever needs the unique list. Naturally, you'll have to expand the lengths of the VLOOKUPs past 9 to however long the list is, but as long as the input is sorted and without duplicates, this should work.

Here's what it looks like:

Col A Col B Col C Col D Col E
0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER 0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER
0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER 1 WYYYYYY, REBECCA
0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER 2 TXXXXXX, YI-WEN
0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER 3
0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER 4
0 WXXXXXX, CHRISTOPHER
1 WYYYYYY, REBECCA
1 WYYYYYY, REBECCA
2 TXXXXXX, YI-WEN