OCR01399 - Mega Man "Electrolytic Man"

djpretzel

The introduction is pretty conservative, but it's not a problem for me... because the beats, of course, is what really makes this work, along with the great leads. There is a lot of good use of the motive, a lot of decent interpretive material. Solid work.

One thing that I would comment on is that the distorted snares sound very close to my ears - they are very close to the front to the soundscape, which distracts from the mix, but it may be the fact that I listen to most mixes on headphones. This would be the only thing that would bother me about the mix. I found that some of the backing harmony was a bit dirty for my taste as well, but chalk that up to personal preference.

I dig the clean piano against the distorted synths, though. Breakdown and the beats at 2:07 are great - lead is awesome at 2:14. Build up and the filtering at 2:53? Sweet touch.

Good work here, MaJIN SaN, ambient, and tomatsu. Way to land yourself on OCR's front page!

Hm, well, it's a good mix. I definitely love the piano intro. The judges complained about the piano being mechanical but I don't have any gripes with it. It brought back a fuzzy warm feeling of nostalgia for me and led into the beat that picked things up considerably. Some of the synths were rubbing my ears the wrong way just a tad bit but nothing to make me grind my teeth. Personal preference there.

The only thing I really think keeps this from going into my playlist is the fact that I don't think there's enough going on. There are a lot of sections where it feels a little too empty for me, instrument-wise. While I couldn't make any suggestions for what you could have added, something a little extra to keep my attention would have been nice.

It was worth the download though and it makes me want to play Mega Man again. :) Keep up the good work.

Well, it's not my favorite sound, but I will agree that it is well put together. I guess I've just moved away from the Techno and more towards the orchestral and jazz

The begining is what grabbed me the most. Does anyone else think that it sounds like Transformer Man, by Neil Youing?

Its funny, everything about this mix just 'screams' average.. the piano/string intro, the VERY simple bassline, the cliche synths.. very light and ambient through the middle section. No major solo sections or even any major parts that i liked. Its so basic.

There isn't really ANY divergence from the original beyond a few extremely simple chord and note changes, Nothing really screams awesome at me..

And yet, i find myself totally loving the song. it's a shame that more songs like this dont make it through the judging panel. Suprised it made it, but glad.

This reminds me of DJP's older work, and older OCR songs for that matter - Nothing noteworthy going on compositionally, the song is just direly close to the original, and the instruments can be summed up with the word 'basic' almost perfectly. But it just has that generic hotness. Oldschool OCR music 4 teh win.

There isn't really ANY divergence from the original beyond a few extremely simple chord and note changes, Nothing really screams awesome at me..

And yet, i find myself totally loving the song. it's a shame that more songs like this dont make it through the judging panel. Suprised it made it, but glad.

But that's what you want sometimes. Sometimes the original piece is good enough that anything beyond minor reinterpretation doesn't respect the original, but more insults it. I'm not saying that the best original tracks should only have covers, but anything beyond conservative interpretation can seriously detract from its appeal.

On this track though ... of all the Mega Man themes, Elecman's Theme is the one that stands out to me the most, and I do enjoy this track. It's not quite Elecman vs Funkaman (so mellow) but it's still a good track in its own right.

6 (>75%)

the Elecman theme from the original Mega Man bears a striking resemblance to Journey's Faithfully - at least for a few bars.

Kinda reminds me of the similarities between the level 1 theme from SMW2 and Bitter Tears by INXS.

Very nice. Every so often I try to look at a song outside my main focus and this one is very good.

I don't know what everyone is talking about about the intro.

I got goosebumps listening to that intro. I don't post on a remix unless I really like it, and that intro made me connect and login here to comment on how beautiful that intro was. I particularly love the slowed-down pacing, I thought it was a great touch.

Keep up the good work.

A-Good intro. The piano is not the one nice element here.

B-Good part 1. The piano is still there, with an excellent rythm section.

C-Good part2. The piano is gone, but the the rythm section makes me dance, now, and pump up the volume.

D-Good part3. The lead sound is OK.

E-short ending: alright!

A+B+C+D+E=nice work! This mix is entering my favorite collection. Thanks!

Yes! Oh man. I've heard Faithfully so many times and thought to myself, "Why does that sound so familiar?" It's so nice to have it pointed out, and in such an upbeat fashion. I think it might have been better, with a bit of the sounds from the game's song itself, nonetheless, it was pretty enjoyable.

I do admit it's not one of my favorites, since it sticks mostly to the matching parts of the songs only, however, which kind of bugs me a bit, but I like it anyhow. I don't get annoyed listening to it or anything.

hm..has a wonderful intro, absolutely beautiful. Levels are mastered very skillfully. i wonder why the piece dosent continue with that level of mastery. seems to weaken a bit as it goes on. at 2:12, have some harmony or something please. this is a perfect oppertunity to show off your musicianship and you blew it. sigh..

I'll be the first to say that nothing could beat Injury's treatment of this same material, but this one comes pretty dangerously close -- from tearjerking sentimentallity to breakbeats and then a combination thereof -- just a "wow"-inducing mix all-around.

Splendidly done. Good to see someone is keeping the vibrant spirit of the MM remix alive!

A piano/techno remix of elecman together with iceman?

Truly great work. The piano in the beginning sounds excellently wonderful that almost put a tear in my eye.

And the explosion of beats through the whole song is great. You guys should stick together, because this was an awesome remix.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite angelic with the strings and piano at the beginning. Sounds like a soap opera. It doesn't seem to fit with the drums and the staccato bass blip. Plus, it's dance! The arpeggiation and filtering is pretty sweet on that slick double-synth halfway through. The drums need work. They seem kinda weak towards the end when everything is seeping together. And they don't work with the angelica. And what is that wind-sweep?

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01399 - Mega Man "Electrolytic Man"