§ Your ReMixer name: Flexstyle

§ Your real name: Michael Birch

§ Your website: flexstylemusic.com

§ Your userid: 22246

Submission Information

§ Name of game(s) arranged: Mega Man 1 and Mega Man 3

§ Name of arrangement: Top This

§ Name of individual song(s) arranged: Wily Stage 1 and Top Man’s Theme

§ Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUlvB5qG4XA (Wily Stage 1 in MM1),

(Top Man in MM3)

This was my third and final entry into the Wily Castle Remix Gauntlet 2011, and it’s also the one I’m most proud of. Unlike my other two tracks, I nailed what I wanted it to sound like the first time, for the most part—this submission only has a couple of very minor tweaks.

This particular track is a crazy mix of hard house with energetic live drums, tortured synths, and a bit of a dubstep breakdown for good measure. Inspired to some degree by Le Castle Vania and his similarly-adrenaline-infused music, particularly this track: http://soundcloud.com/lecastlevania/le-castle-vania-computer-club-the-messiah-one

This song also marks perhaps my most adventurous take on any VGM track, too, with a lot of original material intertwined with my usual source-mangling ways.

Hope you enjoy it!

-------------

"Hey Deia,

Was gonna contact you about a track you got in the "tp be judged" list. It's, "2012/03 - Mega Man 1 & 3 'Top This'" by Flexstyle. If it gets passed it'll need to go in the Projects listing (I just got it on BadAss Vol 2).

Wasn't sure if this was the way to go about doing this, bit I figured I'd give it a go.

The Joker"

• 3 weeks later...

I'm usually a huge fan of your stuff, but I wasn't feeling this one as much, although the dubstep bit was pretty groovy. don't get me wrong, the arrangement and production are there, obviously by this point you know how to make an ocremix. ;D any thoughts I have on this are pretty subjective and bear no holding on my decision, so I'll just keep them to myself.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I sort of know what halc is talking about, and I think for me it boils down to a certain aesthetic the remix has... it's very aggressive, yet at the same time it feels like it's veiled in a layer of intense reverb and filtering. Knowing Mike, I'm pretty sure the sound achieved here is 100% intentional, but it is a little jarring at first.

I love the unique sound here, personally. Some highlights: the bassline is intense and the way it cuts through the rest of the song really helps keep things grounded. The use of those acoustic drum fills is really awesome.

Dig this very much :-)

YES

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pretty much lining up with Halc on this. Personally I'm not feeling this one as much as a lot of your other stuff, but it's easily where it needs to be for OCR, and I know a lot of people will be diggin' this. I would have liked the leads to be a little more prominent, but that's mostly a genre thing. Overall nice work, as per usual, Mike.

YES