Started a project, feeling overwhelmed :|

Infenro

Hey guys, I actually have been fooling with FL Studios for 2 and a half years now and bought it around last summer. For the past two months I set off on doing a Phoenix Wright project going through 7 songs in order as they'd occur in the court scenes. I wrote the whole thing out over the past month and now I'm on to actually putting it together in FL and suddenly I've felt WAY OVER MY HEAD.

I mean it takes me a lot longer than I thought it would to try and spot on replicate the notes from each song, I still haven't gotten past the first song (Trial), and I was hoping you guys might have some advice. I've been trying to switch back and forth between listening on my phone while writing on my computer but that hasn't done too well. And I can't minimize and use Youtube or anything since ASIO can't be interrupted. Any advice would help.

Or encouragement

Encouragement helps.

I know veeeeeery little about flstudio (on account of being lazy as hell), but if you get a mp3 or wav or something of the song, you could throw that in the audio clips, click on the name of the thing to bring up the channel settings, and under the Time Stretching field, change Resample to Auto (to keep the pitch from shifting) and crank the MUL dial to 200% or 300%

it'll play the clip at half or third speed if you do that, making it considerably easier to pick out notes; additionally, you could stick the pattern that you're building next to the clip to check against it note for note

Oh wow that is a good idea, I'm pretty oblivious so I never had thought of that! Thanks I think I'll try that.

But to be honest, I hate to sound like a quitter but I think I might end up holding this project off and try and do a much less difficult remix.

Also since I'm a senior in High School and I'm gonna be graduating soon I could try and find a song that I think I could pour those emotions into and do a really sweet remix, and of course plan a much less daunting task lol.

I've been trying to switch back and forth between listening on my phone while writing on my computer but that hasn't done too well. And I can't minimize and use Youtube or anything since ASIO can't be interrupted.

I'm a Logic user myself so I can't give any tech advice, but regardless this sounds an interesting approach to say the least. I'm with Gollgagh here, since I usually just rip the audio from a youtube video (if it's the only source where I can hear the original song) and slap it into an empty project, find the correct tempo and signatures and start out with lead melodies.

Also, tackling seven songs is no minor feat, so it's pretty normal to get swamped. Best bet would be to forget all deadlines you might have invented for your project and just take it one song at a time. Hobby projects are best when stress isn't included. :-P

I'm a Logic user myself so I can't give any tech advice, but regardless this sounds an interesting approach to say the least. I'm with Gollgagh here, since I usually just rip the audio from a youtube video (if it's the only source where I can hear the original song) and slap it into an empty project, find the correct tempo and signatures and start out with lead melodies.

Also, tackling seven songs is no minor feat, so it's pretty normal to get swamped. Best bet would be to forget all deadlines you might have invented for your project and just take it one song at a time. Hobby projects are best when stress isn't included. :-P

Yeah I'm just really organized :< lol. I know I still want to do this remix, but maybe as my first one it might be a little too much, I guess I'll keep working on it with yalls advice and see if it speeds the process up enough for me to think I can get it done decently fast.

If the source has midis. You can import them in fl to get every channel and notes. That's the fastest way to get nearly accurate notes.

Yeah I was actually looking for midis and written music for the tunes but didn't find anything, only one site that had like 2 of the themes I needed but the version in Trials and Tribulations which is a noticeably different.

I know veeeeeery little about flstudio (on account of being lazy as hell), but if you get a mp3 or wav or something of the song, you could throw that in the audio clips, click on the name of the thing to bring up the channel settings, and under the Time Stretching field, change Resample to Auto (to keep the pitch from shifting) and crank the MUL dial to 200% or 300%

it'll play the clip at half or third speed if you do that, making it considerably easier to pick out notes; additionally, you could stick the pattern that you're building next to the clip to check against it note for note

I do this all the time for tracks that I can't find a MIDI for. Saves me so much headache.