Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History

Usa

Yup, I've got zyko's wav, also got an update from Dj Mokram. Things are moving along well.

Anyway, yes, write-ups / track notes for all your tracks guys. Talk about the source track, talk about your idea for the mix, talk about how I kept pestering you to change that one note and then wanted you to change it back... whatever.

Also, a bio for every artist. We'll make stuff up otherwise. Everyone gets a bio.

And, if you haven't already, sign the consent form, link in the first post.

Furthermore... look at how far we've come, and how long I've been promising a preview. :P

yes, write-ups [...] talk about how I kept pestering you to change that one note and then wanted you to change it back...

Believe it or not, there was a time when remixers used to receive intel directly from directors via PM.

Now they have to decode cryptic messages left in the main thread in order to make any progress.

War has changed...

...so I propose a prisoner exchange: a write-up for some proper feedback. :lol:

Believe it or not, there was a time when remixers used to receive intel directly from directors via PM.

Now they have to decode cryptic messages left in the main thread in order to make any progress.

War has changed...

...so I propose a prisoner exchange: a write-up for some proper feedback. :lol:

Of course, I just wanted to leave the PM not replied to so I see I haven't replied to it. It's hard to keep track of whether I've replied to everything so I'm just saving the reply for when I've got some feedback.

Give it a few days.

Today I downloaded that free musical box sample set from Sonic Couture and I'm going to use it to redo my remix for the last track on the OST. I can't find the piano giga sample I used for my other one, so I may not be able to redo that one - shame, but I had more issue with this other one anyway, and I think I can redo it whenever I get time to (and it's looking like fall at the earliest right now).

Check out the tracklist, 29 tracks in a row done. Sure, we're waiting for wavs on some of them, but still... looks great. :D

Guys, just because it's summer and my brain doesn't work doesn't mean the project is cancelled or something. I know I'm way behind on getting back to ppl on stuff, and have kind'a lost track of whom I've responded to and whom I haven't, so feel free to grab a hold of me on IM or irc if you see me, email me, PM me, you know, get in touch. You are all amazing ppl and this album would be very short (and look terrible) if it weren't for you. :D

It's amazing that this album is so close to done. Where do you stand on artwork / website / trailer?

I could at least volunteer to make an OCR template website if you need it. It doesn't take too long but I would need literally all of the information ever published for everyone involved. :-P

For a sample check http://encounter.ocremix.org/

Well, since nobody picked up Walls and Steels yet, I guess I'll just have to finish it, don't I? :P

That'd be nice, yes. :)

Also, on the website, my basic understanding is we were waiting to talk with OCR staff about that once we were getting closer to done. I've asked Roz about that a couple times and I believe that was the answer, I personally have no frame of reference for the website, but not because I don't want to.

That template doesn't look too bad at all, Brandon, and I'd personally be up for it. Need to wait on Roz to chime in, obviously, but I'd give it a YES.

Usa had some plans for the website, and I have a few ideas I wanna make sure gets in there somewhere. Beyond that, I don't have a problem using OCR's template and don't care that much about who actually does it as long as it ends up looking good, and BS knows how. We'll see what we do. I don't expect the website to be a big problem and it's certainly not a concern at this point.

And yes pu_, I want your track. :D

Consent from flutetopia, probably. Track comments and bio possibly. Been meaning to check what's missing for everyone, see how much of everything and everyone I've got.

If the track is subbed to ocr, that counts as consent as well.

It's not getting subbed. I already told Abi. You should just go to her. She's my friend on facebook. Find out if there's anything else and let me know personally.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure, it's yours when I get a wip. Just make sure you're remixing the right track, the name on youtube is wrong but the link is correct. That's why we've told ppl to use the .rsn from snesmusic.org or from ocr.

Work eats most of my project energy atm, but come weekend, I'll throw a preview thing together. Just gotta pick tracks that fit. I know Dj Mokram doesn't want to be in the previews, but does anyone else have a problem with it?

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

There are some new developments that every remixer should be currently aware of and will make some differences to the final product. I have only learned this today, and even though we have time on our side, I want to get it out ASAP all the same.

As part of OCR's agreement with Square-Enix, there are new restrictions making album projects from their game catalog and we need to check to make sure every facet and asset of the project is compliant with those restrictions.

These include:

1. No use of ANY official artwork or logos - fan art is ok, but we can't use anything they developed at Square Enix.

2. No use of ANY samples from SD3 itself. ALL REMIXERS NEED TO CHECK THEIR REMIXES to make sure they don't have any of the sound effects or instrumentation they programmed at their offices. I myself have a remix with the Whale Call sample from Secret of Mana and this needs to be edited out.

3. No use of ANY gameplay for the video trailer. Sort of ironic considering how long we tried to get some for the video, but we need to make do without it.

There might be more, but that's what I have for right now.

Additionally, there was another surprise we were going to get for the project that I'd been hinting at and trying not to disclose publicly. Right now, as another result of Square-Enix not being too thrilled with OCR, that surprise is looking pretty unlikely to happen. It still might, which is why I'm still not saying what it is/was, but right now we're likely going to go on ahead without it.

So, everyone involved, PLEASE CHECK YOUR REMIXES or your contributions to the project and make sure none of it is using any IP that came from their offices. We cannot use any of them.

Thank you!

:cry: What a terrible company. And they just announced a $500 box set of all FFs between 1 and 13. Still just monetizing the older properties they inherited and have no idea what to do with, and keep diluting and ruining their reputation. Oh well. I didn't use any sampling or anything that would be an issue.

You should use footage from mistwalker games for the trailer. (Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, The Last Story, etc). It wouldn't make sense but at least they would understand the fan service.

Koichi Ishii who directed Secret of Mana quit Square-Enix a long time ago. Hiromichi Tanaka who directed SD3 quit Square-Enix in 2012. If you follow the names you'll probably see that most people who were involved in any of the good Squaresoft games have up and left Square-Enix. I'm sorry for the ranting but Square-Enix has really become a terrible and reprehensible corporation, not because of what they're doing to OCR primarily but because of the last few years of what they have been doing, their constant monetization of re-releases and disrespect for fans. Bloated productions that take 10 years (FF Versus 13) then a game that is somehow a complete disjointed mess (FF13) shows a tough future for the developer. They've published some good stuff though but it's easier to say they've been lucky as a publisher. I think they are out of touch which would explain why their own games and business ethics are poor.

Sorry for the rant. But seriously, just have the trailer be black with white text on it. But Square-Enix would probably C&D you for that too, saying you are ripping off a Cloud Strife dream sequence.

If this is how things are going to be going into the future, I'm expecting to see a lot more artistic trailers that have little to no visual connection to the game they cover. And in a way that is VERY SAD, but it's also interesting. I'm excited to see how you guys tackle this.

I think too much compromise has taken place with this new deal. I think September should be support OCR month and the new Kickstarter should be cancelled and any negotiations and compromise with Square-Enix should be reversed. "If you give them an inch, they'll walk all over you" -- it sounds like Square-Enix has already been given a mile. :whatevaa:

No offense intended at all towards OCR or djp. I'm sure you know more about working with companies than I do. But this really bites, you know? And it's setting a really bad precedent.

Edited by Brandon Strader

• Liontamer changed the title to Seiken Densetsu 3: Songs of Light and Darkness - History
  • Liontamer locked this topic