OCR02601 - *YES* Faxanadu 'This Winding Road'

OceansAndrew

Remixers: OA, Rexy, Brandon Strader, DragonAvenger

Game: Faxanadu

Source: Guru's House

This is easily my favorite song from the Faxanadu soundtrack, and one of my favorite chorale-style songs ever. It was difficult for me to find a way to expand upon it without ruining the original spirit, but with the piano skills of Rexy, and the guitar and vocal skills of Brandon and Deia, I think we managed to create something that enhances the feeling of the original while becoming grandiose and graceful. Thanks guys for all your help on this one, we made a pretty great team. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Solid work here. The realism of the brass, string and ending piano all left something to be desired. There was a bit of rigidness to those parts that was very exposed, but the sound quality throughout was serviceable enough.

Loved the acoustic guitar being introduced at 1:08 and playing off of the source tune. A subtle, but beautiful touch to add. Same with the vocals at 1:50, which had good really nice interplay with the music as well as between each voice as the levels would switch off.

Beautiful dropoff at 2:38 for the finish. Just a great case of taking a great theme, going for a fairly straightforward take, but then changing the mood and expanding it with new partwriting and some original sections. The dynamics were subtle, but everything clicked nicely.

Nice work, y'all!

YES

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not the tightest I've heard from you, but it's aight. Rexy's piano is tight, the vocal work is pretty good but it's sitting a little awkwardly in the mix. If I'm being critical it's missing a bit of attention to detail in the sequencing and dynamics and the nice live parts kinda make that stand out a bit. Overall it's definitely passable but just a bit awkward at times.

YES

I really love this source tune and you guys couldn't have picked a better way to adapt it. I absolutely adore the very nostalgic, reminiscent mood, and I feel like every single instrument in the mix is truly contributing something memorable to the mix.

I agree that there's a certain level of sloppiness in the way the live performances were stuck together in the mix, sometimes the timing between instruments feels off, and in other sections (like the outro) the writing just feels straight-up clunky. However, those moments are all fleeting and don't impact the song overall. This could have used a bit more TLC on the little details but it's still a very good remix as it is.

YES