The Final Fantasy VI Remix Contest: Results are in, check first post!!!

zircon

I'm done voting too. Definitely some stiff competition all around, but don't let the quantity put you off.

Gestahl Empire was by FAR the most popular source tune covered, but if you want my take on it, only one or two entries were even considered good for my tastes (don't take it personally).

In regards to stiff competition, I feel one should be looking more into the amount of mixes for Blackjack and Phantom Train; the density packed a wallop for me in both, and some of my highest scorers were among those two songs.

Let's see how it goes for the next 2 weeks' voting. Good luck all :)

I'm also surprised that nobody did Locke's theme.

The huge amount of "Gestahl Empire" mixes surprised me too, since it is an odd theme. New Continent being so popular was kind of expected.

Anyway, there are some pretty good ones, but way too many "techno"-ish mixes for my liking though.

I hope there is a chance to give/receive feedback, since it'd be interesting to listen to people's opinions on the remixes.

Yeah I know...I thought that Gestahl emperor theme is more of a wet-dream for ppl who prefer ambient styles - but there was some interesting interpretations of it (and some very stock/cliche ideas too)

I didn't take the techno/electronic route for this project, as I felt that electronic styling doesn't really do this game justice - except for maybe the airship track.

I listened to them all and voted. I would have liked to have done a version of Locke's theme and I was really surprised that no one did. I would have if I had more time.

Some general comments, I liked a few of the remixes. Some needed some work on their mix balances, instrumentation and variety of textures. There were more than "2" good ones in there. Everyone is entitled to their opinion I guess, but it's kind of "interesting" to leave a comment like that only minutes after they were posted up, seems a little disrespectful to the people who worked hard to make their remixes, even if they aren't professionals. I felt like at least one or two of the tracks deserved a "5" and I handed out a few 4's too.

For the weaker ones, I felt that there needed to be improvements in the mixing (balance between instruments/melody, EQ, panning, etc), dynamic variety in the "performance" of the MIDI, variety in the instrumentation, variety in the rhythms and textures, a lot of things could be improved.

Also, just an FYI to anyone going through and voting: My girlfriend left the survey open while she listened through all the tracks, and upon attempting to submit, the survey had timed out, and she lost all her scores.

I would say at bare minimum keep them in a separate file, or be sure to do the "resume later" thing at the bottom to keep them saved.

I'm curious - though the voting is available publicly, how does the public know about it? Has there been advertisement or email blasts or anything? Or, are the only people that know about it OCR forum-goers and friends of those who submitted? The questionably situation which may arise in this case, since the order is not randomized, is that you can get all your friends to vote 5 on remix X (whatever your remix is).

I'm simply suggesting that if we want it open to the public, let's make it publicly known (unless I missed that post).

I'm curious - though the voting is available publicly, how does the public know about it? Has there been advertisement or email blasts or anything? Or, are the only people that know about it OCR forum-goers and friends of those who submitted? The questionably situation which may arise in this case, since the order is not randomized, is that you can get all your friends to vote 5 on remix X (whatever your remix is).

I'm simply suggesting that if we want it open to the public, let's make it publicly known (unless I missed that post).

i think this survey is pretty rough on anyone who's not really involved. The fact that you have to vote on all the tracks and that zircon has said he would look for those that were 5 and the rest were 1 means that it's pretty off-putting for those who aren't involved. I agree it may be an issue that you could badger your friends to vote yours 5 and others randomly but i hope no one really does that. The rewards are great but it should be more of a learning experience, i believe.

But yeah, i get what you mean - it's not really at all advertised other than in this thread... is the public ready for a 30 track vote for all of them kinda survey? Perhaps it's best to get less voters who give more thought?

i think this survey is pretty rough on anyone who's not really involved. The fact that you have to vote on all the tracks and that zircon has said he would look for those that were 5 and the rest were 1 means that it's pretty off-putting for those who aren't involved. I agree it may be an issue that you could badger your friends to vote yours 5 and others randomly but i hope no one really does that. The rewards are great but it should be more of a learning experience, i believe.

But yeah, i get what you mean - it's not really at all advertised other than in this thread... is the public ready for a 30 track vote for all of them kinda survey? Perhaps it's best to get less voters who give more thought?

The issue I had recently over at Indaba was that basically the popular kid got the most votes, which was unfortunate for me because I have no friends. Or maybe I should consider it a blessing since whoever voted for me actually liked my stuff .. but anyway, these are good points being brought up, I'm just not sure if there's a way around them .. I think the randomization was supposed to address that but it didn't work out like it was supposed to.

Ultimately I wanted to do randomization but couldn't find any service that could do it for <$300, which I'm not in a position to pay out of pocket (already paying for some stuff out of pocket as it is!)

I don't think this needs to be advertised outside of OCR. It was a community contest, and the FF6 album is being made for this website. I don't really want people asking their friends to vote, but I also haven't seen much evidence that people are doing/planning that. For what it's worth we have 36 votes already in about a single day, with another 14 votes in progress. I think we can make it visible enough to hit 70-80 votes without much of a problem which is a pretty good amount.

Btw, Zircon, if I haven't already said so - thank you for doing this. It was fun participating. Even if I don't rank, I still had fun.

I would also like to thank zircon for this opportunity.

And as I have said before, this was my first time remixing, and I know mine wasn't the best.

Thanks to all who actually voted fairly, and gave everyone a chance. I will [hopefully] be voting this weekend.

Voted.

Some were great, others were not. I tended to like the ones that were instantly recognizable. They were more enjoyable for me.

#28 in particular I think was by far my favorite.

Interesting. I tended to like the ones that had an interesting beginning, kind of like giving me a reason to want to keep listening. I only gave a few 4's and one 5.

28# was the only 5 I gave.

While not perfect(Intonation and general tuning errors. Hard to tell if because all live, or if samples made out of tune on purpose to sound realistic), it perfectly envisions the feelings and moods of the original song with modern instrumentation/production, when it started my heart sunk(in a good way). Some could say it's too conservative/a cover, but that doesn't matter to me and I don't care either.

I'd rather it be recognizable immediately and then go off on tangents later if it wants later because it would already have my attention as a fan of the original song that this is "X song here". Rather than waiting to figure out "What the heck song is this?", thus impeding enjoyment for me. (generally I like to have a 30 second to 1 minute rule. If it isn't clearly recognizable within that time frame I may not enjoy it as an arrangement of said tune because of so much time trying to figure it out. However, this doesn't mean the song won't end up being enjoyable on it's own.)

(I know this probably sounds weird, and I am weird, but that's how I am with certain kinds of music ,like any FF beyond III/NES)

Overall everything was good though(with few that went anywhere near bad), I didn't rate anything below a 3 because they all were enjoyable to an extent regardless of any issues and my personal tastes.

Good job everyone.:nicework: