The Final Fantasy VI Remix Contest: Results are in, check first post!!!

zircon

Congrats to the winners.

It would be great to know which tracks were which though. Is it possible to label them with the track # of the competition? My favorites aside from my own were #3 and #17.

I placed tied for 10th. My track was: FF6 Contest Track 8 (Gestahl Empire) AKA: "Gestahl's Ambition - Magic and Empire" if anyone wanted to know.

http://soundcloud.com/bradstark/gestahl-empire-ocremix-version

Congratz to the winners! I'm a little relieved it's all over .. Props to #11 and #34, I spilled one early by accident but been holding my breath to say the other for a while .. That was fun!

Thanks. Mine were #33 (Gogo) and #34 (Spacey Mog). Both ended up getting the same score apparently. Er, maybe that's backwards. I don't remember. They were the last 2. I think my fave from them all was #25, but I'm not sure I'm remembering that number correctly either. It has some pretty fast drums in it near the end.

Thanks. Mine were #33 (Gogo) and #34 (Spacey Mog). Both ended up getting the same score apparently. Er, maybe that's backwards. I don't remember. They were the last 2. I think my fave from them all was #25, but I'm not sure I'm remembering that number correctly either. It has some pretty fast drums in it near the end.

It's pretty cool that everyone's favorites varied. I remember thinking "phew, finally, the last track" and thinking "this is awesome!" I'm not too familiar with the Gogo source track but I think your remix is a really good standalone track. Nice work!

Lowest score average vote 1.98. Highest score vote 3.77. According to my calculations.

Kind of interesting to see the scores so compressed like that. I would have expected the best track to have had a higher average vote and the lowest track to have a lower average vote. Represents some very diverse opinions there, I think.

I find it more than a little surprising that the highest average score was below 4. If "harsh" voting was to blame, how to explain that the lowest track got an average vote of 2 (granted, the lowest score possible to vote was 1)? Pretty interesting results but the numbers are a little surprising. Taking a look at the third place result, it got an average vote of 3.4. Just wow.

Seems like there was a lot of disagreement on the quality of the tracks and that seemed to be evident from reading some of the comments in the forums. I would have liked to have seen a better "consensus" in the results, though.

Ah, now I see the connection :) Nice going!

According to my votes, I was more in favor of your Phantom Train track, which further echoes the post I stated earlier with there being a LOT of strong competition regarding that particular source, but congratulations on your 3rd place finish. I hope you'll get invited on :D

Thank you for holding this contest Zircon and Congratulations to the winners! This was my first time entering a remix contest and I'm pleasantly surprised at how many votes I received.

My track was "Ticket to the Underworld". I'm not sure I remember which track number that was on the survey. It was the Phantom Train remix that started with the Celesta/Music Box melody.

I unfortunately have had no net access, whatsoever. I suppose I missed finding out where I ranked, although I wasn't expecting it to be highly ranked anyways. It was my first Remix, so just trying to do this made me happy. Congratulations, everyone.

Edit: Well, I saw my rank.. :/ But, I actually had guessed that would happen. I shouldn't have listened to my fiancé on this one. xD I apologize to everyone for mucking up this competition, as well as for possibly damaging anyones hearing. :/ lol

All entries are up and tagged in a handy little RAR file here, with track #s corresponding to the anonymized versions.

http://www.zirconstudios.com/ff6contest/OCR_FF6_Remix_Contest_2012.rar

DJ_T-MayN: Don't beat yourself up too much. Like I said in the initial post, the competition was pretty fierce and even your entry didn't have a rock bottom score, so some people liked it. Just keep practicing and improving :)

Edit: Well, I saw my rank.. :/ But, I actually had guessed that would happen. I shouldn't have listened to my fiancé on this one. xD I apologize to everyone for mucking up this competition, as well as for possibly damaging anyones hearing. :/ lol

I didn't do much better, don't beat yourself. Dust yourself off, and just keep going. Even the best start at that level, they had to work their way up. Chin up. :grin:

Oh come on, everyone has one of those bad days. I even got a second-to-last finish in a busy DoD free month once, in spite of having a load of fun with it xP

If it's your first track, then feel good that you managed to come through. We've all been there once, and I'm pretty sure the only way is up from here if you just take all criticisms to heart and use them to grow.

And yes, as Gario said, OCR's regular competitions would definitely like to have you on board - that's how artists like DDRKirby honed their skills :)

Yeah, DJ-T-MayN, everyone needs to start somewhere. No one minds that you participated - no one is worse off for it, and you get better by doing things like this. In fact, you should do stuff like this more often, as most of us would love to have you join in the other compos on the site. :wink:

Thats how I started off from nill to pro :wink:; pro being a subjective term but I digress

I didn't do much better, don't beat yourself. Dust yourself off, and just keep going. Even the best start at that level, they had to work their way up. Chin up. :grin:

Both of mine were toward the bottom as well, but .. at least we showed up, right? We are among the 30 that entered this competition. Think of how many people in the whole world who didn't enter this competition.. probably like billions right? :nicework:

But seriously, it was fun and a learning experience. And the votes were pretty varied .. my top pick wasn't in the top 15.

And yes, as Gario said, OCR's regular competitions would definitely like to have you on board - that's how artists like DDRKirby honed their skills :)

Amen to that! Two years of doing OHC have taken me from doing meager <2 minute repetitive tracks to things like 6-minute monstrosities that are also remixes of not one but two other OHC entries from the previous week. It's ridiculous how much it's helped me improve!

(and before all that, I was making things like a stupid rejected OCR submission that was basically like MIDI rip with bad mixing and boring samples...not even up to the OCR standards of 8 years ago!)

Thanks, everyone. And hey, I mean..someone had to come in last place. 8) But, honestly, it does mean a lot to me that you all gave me such inspiring words. At six a.m. this morning, I was ready to quit music in general. Which, I don't think I could anyways.. I just get rather impatient and over worked about it, and my computer is fried, so when I'm mixing, at any moment my computer can crash. I get rushed, and impatient.. I can say, however, all of the sounds in my song was original production :mrgreen:, excluding percusion.