OCR01438 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Prelude' *RESUB*

djpretzel

LT Edit - Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=54350

Whoops! Embarrasing, I forgot to link to the song. Here it is:

And there's the submission info below. Sorry about that!

On 8/14/05, Michael Zasadzinski <mikezaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Remixer Name: Zas (was previously FM)

> Real Name: Michael Zasadzinski

> Email: mikezaz@gmail.com

> Remix Name: Prelude (was submitted previously as Prologue) Songs Used:

> aLttP: Hyrule Castle, WW: Legendary Hero, Oot: Great Deku Tree's Last

> Words, Title Theme,

>

> Yeah, I submitted this one back in the day, although it's undergone a

> whole lot of changes since then. Anyway, this is he first movement of

> a personal project of mine, which aims to cover the storyline of

> Ocarina of Time by following the Game's OST around. This installment

> deals with Ganon and the Deku Tree, as well as the beginning of Link's

> journey.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Hyrule Castle" (loz3-14.spc) [:57-1:14, 2:13-2:42, 5:48-6:01]

http://www.zophar.net/usf/lozusf.rar - 01 "Title Theme" (2:46-3:30) & 03 "Deku Tree" (4:02-4:35, 4:51-5:48)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker OST - 103 "The Legendary Hero" (1:27-1:52)

:00-:46 & 3:38-4:01? Just don't recognize which source tune those parts go to, even though I recognize them as being from Zelda material. I'd appreciate clarification on the source info listed above.

Standing Man/FM/Zas, you really gotta pick one handle and stick with it! Played this one just a few days ago on VGF63. Heard it on account of round 3 of Splendid Performance this summer, and it was some nice work. You really did a great job of overhauling the concept here and letting things flow much more naturally here from source tune to source tune.

I really can't listen to everything and give the detailed analysis of how all the source tunes were used, so forget that. Offhand, I felt the transition at 1:56 was too abrupt. And on little things, there's a light pop in the right channel at 5:03, a louder pop in the left at 5:16, and the ending abruptly cuts off at 6:01. :'-( That ending really needs a fix if it's posted.

In any case, the way the samples were used was pretty strong; much more organic sounding than last time. Some occasional artificial-sounding spots, but nothing significantly impactful as to hurt the track. Beyond using your already strong samples much more effectively, there was just tons more thought and care put into fashioning the arrangement, which is where the real substance was.

"Deku Tree" served well as the meat of the track, and I particularly liked your interpretation of the Ocarina of Time title theme. Good work as a whole, and I'm glad you weren't discouraged by the previous decision. An improvement literally by leaps and bounds over the older version, Mike!

YES

• 4 weeks later...

i like the overall sound,

it's far from a real orchestra but the remixer avoided all the common sequencing/processing pitfalls that turns good ideas into noobmixes.

so, good job with that.

i agree with larry's gripe about the last note, too abrupt.

hold that fermata!

the arrangement kinda reminds me of my first remix in how lethargic it is.

this would work perfect for the dramatic underscoring of a film (or a videogame??),

but without something to look at while i'm listening to this i'm left unsatisfied.

it just feels empty between points of interest,

there's a lot more that could be done with this..

more moving lines, more intricate harmonies, contrapunctal devices, contrary motion, harmonies derived thru linear dissolution,

key changes / modulations, accelerandos, ritardandos..

you get the idea.

not bad or anything and i have no problem with this passing

but i'm feeling greedy; i want more. (:

no

Ponderous.

I like it.

It's hard to do something like this, which is such a slowly evolving piece, effectively, but you've managed to pull it off. I love how this piece moves from one idea to the next seamlessly.

The crescendo to the Deku Tree theme at 4:51 is perfect; a powerful statement with lots of emotion behind it.

Nice job man.

YES!

You've improved a lot. This is a big step forward compared to the previous submission. I can see where analoq is coming from and agree to an extent, however in my view this is a cut above our bar and as good as anything we've posted recently.

Loved the harp composition in particular.

Good orchestration, arrangement, production and certainly deserves to be posted. YES