Playstation All-Stars VS Super Smash Bros.!?

Overflow

OMG.

Just look at these videos first of all if you aren't familiar with either game (is there any such person?)

Smash Bros. Brawl (it was harder than it should have been to find footage of a normal match)

Those two styles of gameplay are so similar. Some call rip-off (which it is) but that's besides the point. Everything I've heard about the Playstation game is that it controls and feels much like Smash Bros., although how you win is a little different. But the gameplay is so similar that a crossover fighter would be SOOOO easy to do, and incredibly AWESOME.

You would build damage and could die by being thrown off stage like in Smash Bros, but while battling you'd build up your meters which you could use to unleash devastating Final-Smash-like attacks like in Battle Royale.

Mario Vs. Sackboy, Link Vs. Kratos, Samus Vs. Colonel Radec, Ness Vs. the Gran Turismo Car, the possibilities are endless! And not only would it be a blast to play and be a very (conceptually, anyways) easy fighter to crossover, it would sell MILLIONS. Of course, they would need to include cross-platform online multiplayer and trust me, the world would go wild.

And what a great show of company camaraderie, am I right? For Nintendo and Sony to collaborate on such a project would be outstanding. I know Nintendo's sworn to never have a Nintendo character on a non-Nintendo platform, but they should really make an exception for this. If they could get Microsoft in on it too then it would be the greatest crossover in gaming history.

The only thing I can say is the series really can't have that much advancement past the first. Since most of the characters playing would be independent IPs of third-party companies separate from Sony, I think it would have issues getting new characters. This is where Nintendo has a serious edge. Nintendo only has two characters outside the Nintendo license, so it's fairly easy and cost-effective to make a new game every few years and EVEN push characters to become more popular. But Sony has to purchase rights to every character, a very hefty task. And with advertisement since this is a new series, engine development, and un-for-seen costs, it's a tough fight for Sony. They're up against a giant that shows no sign of stopping.

I've wanted an SSB-style game with Playstation characters for as long as I can remember. My only problem is that so far it seems to be only using characters from franchises currently solely owned by Sony. It most likely won't have the classic, quintessentially Playstation characters, due to Sony selling off its classic franchises.

No Crash Bandicoot, no Lara Croft. It's still awesome and all, but a lot of the appeal of SSB comes from brawling with the classic characters you know and love, and in many cases grew up with. It's not the same with Colonel Radec. Though I guess there's Parappa and Sweet Tooth. And if Nintendo can use Snake and Sonic, I'm sure Sony could stretch to buying the rights to use Crash.

My last hope is that it's got Scott Shelby. I don't know how, but Scott Shelby needs to be in this game!

Seriously.

The whole combined stage thing... isn't pretty. The Patapon in the background do not match the rest of the stage. I'm not too sure about the batte system from what I've read.

I don't know. It seems like a fail.... I wouldn't mind if it was good, but this looks like it's going the other way. I think I'll stick to Super Smash Bros., and my Sony games can stay separate for now

OMG.

Smash Bros. Brawl

crossover fighter

Hrm.... There's a phrase for this... 'too good for this sinful earth'?

Yeah, that's it.

So you remember how Earthbound will never come out on VC because a lot of the melodies were lifted directly from popular music? And getting the license agreements together would be a nightmare?

Making this game happen would be like 10 of those in a row. Nevermind the actual development cost, or hardware compatibility.

It's a beautiful idea, it really is. An all-star, cross-platform game like this would basically put an end to the console wars. But there's just no way I can see these two companies letting a direct competitor work with huge chunks of their IP.