Donkey Kong Country - King K. Rool

The build ups are nice. I love the gating all the way. :D

But sometime it builds up and build and build then nothing. There should more energy as you build up. Otherwise I love the track and its 8-bitness!!

:)!!

Thank you for your comments!

Only a few times do the build-ups bring you to a big sound because I wanted to avoid jarring the head with constant boom booms.

This piece is a bit more progressive than the typical EDM which is good and bad to connoisseurs out there. Because this is meant for "Dance," I changed the grooves often after build-ups to encourage different reactions (dancing) from body.

The end, of course, is something that everyone can jump to so I felt it appropriate to resolve with the boom boom big sound and melody that everyone recognizes.

I hope that explains my decisions in the piece but if not, I very much appreciate you listening to it. That means the world to me. :wink:

Great source, I would suggest layering the shit out of 80% of your sounds to fill the spectrum during most of the mix (good choice of genre and good start, but needs more action!)

Thank you very much for your ears and feedback.

So, you guys like big sound and action, eh? I'll have to keep that in mind for the next one. :wink:

I think this is amazing!!! I LOVE the lo-fi beginning, you fooled me for sure! It sounds a bit thin in places, but mainly that's ok, maybe just that main lead could be filled out a little with some more unison voices, just to widen it a bit, especially for the parts where it is playing with not much else. Also that gating synth starting at 0:42 is only delayed on the right side, how about some left side love? It gets really noticeable (and annoying) at 1:27. And the track does get a bit sparse starting at 3:10, I'm waiting for moar stuff to happen here. Ending is... odd. Otherwise wow, this is really fun, glitchy and groovy!!!!! I enjoyed it. :-)

I think this is amazing!!! I LOVE the lo-fi beginning, you fooled me for sure! It sounds a bit thin in places, but mainly that's ok, maybe just that main lead could be filled out a little with some more unison voices, just to widen it a bit, especially for the parts where it is playing with not much else. Also that gating synth starting at 0:42 is only delayed on the right side, how about some left side love? It gets really noticeable (and annoying) at 1:27. And the track does get a bit sparse starting at 3:10, I'm waiting for moar stuff to happen here. Ending is... odd. Otherwise wow, this is really fun, glitchy and groovy!!!!! I enjoyed it. :-)

:smile:

That's some good feedback! I appreciate that, chimp. This piece was the first time I tried delving into EDM. It's mainly meant to be a dance groove with not TOO much happening as EDM is known for. The grooves are what move the body. Everything was intentional but I'm impressed that you pointed out the right side delay. I did think about getting some on the left side or at least adding another voice to balance it out but for some strange (irrational to most) reason I decided to let that happen.

This piece was quite far outside the style I usually use for originals, but I plan to make something special using the same genre soon. I've learned 100% more about EDM just from making this piece.

I'm more of a strange composer myself, so that explains the odd decisions I made during 3:10 and at the end. I like weird music. Interesting music. Music that you can listen to and find things under the surface if you try.

I most definitely approve of your feedback. It was educated, relevant, constructive and backed up. Don't go away!

Wow. Threw me off, then...wow. This is obviously a great track. So, I think you should add a bit more source. Not a whole lot, 'cause the chord structure is there. So, at some points when you're not 2:48'ing (which I LOVE), you should add bits of the melody. LOVE IT. I await more. :nicework:

Wow. Threw me off, then...wow. This is obviously a great track. So, I think you should add a bit more source. Not a whole lot, 'cause the chord structure is there. So, at some points when you're not 2:48'ing (which I LOVE), you should add bits of the melody. LOVE IT. I await more. :nicework:

Thank you very much. :)!!

I remember, as a kid, I thought the original song had so much going on in it. In reality, there was really nothing much at all. It's a super simple piece and I decided to keep the simplicity of the original while adding some technical synth rhythms/effects to bring out the moves from the body (literally YOUR body).

The "bits of melody" will most likely happen in the next little project I'm going to shoot at soon. The next one should be a bit more mature. Thank you for listening and for your feedback! Really! :smile:

Cool concept. Are you going for a prog house or a Dutch house style? Feels like you want to blend both. I don't listen to a lot of either, but I've listened to enough that I can usually tell the direction it's headed.

I can see why Rockos was underwhelmed with the change to the melody. Maybe he was expecting a crazy drop where the notes go all over the place, and then go gradually back into the original melody. Stylistically it could work as Dutch house, but on the other hand a random melody will lose points on arrangement. The synth choices are really good, though, so there are many good arrangement paths you can choose from.

I'd compare this mix to playing darts. You have 3 shots. You hit 20. You hit a double, but it's only on 9. Then you hit a triple, but it landed on 6. Valiant effort, but low score.

The kick was the first thing that struck me as odd. It's too much bass, and lacks any real PUNCH. The delay to the right channel, as chimpzilla mentioned, does get irritating. It's okay if you want it just panned right (I agree with the suggestion of a ping-pong thing though) but it needs to be attenuated, the main focus should be on the center synths. Filler filler filler. Rockos is right in that it just sorta builds and builds and builds with little pay-off. What you got going at 2:37~ is superb, albeit not purrrfect. I'm thinking the kick still has a release on it so when you do that double kick, it's still finishing the release from the first kick while playing the second kick creating bleh. Again, this section is where I think a different, more clubby/trancy kick would work better. Little buggy clicks, pops, clicks, pops, and it again it just sorta wanders around. 4:30~ is also nice, but again, I think the mixing is off. It just sounds like there's too much going on.

Sexy? Yea, it has it's moments. However it needs more work in the production department and tighter writing before it blossoms into a head-turning, jaw-dropping K.

REMIX HAS BEEN RE-UPLOADED

Cool concept. Are you going for.......
I'd compare this mix to.......
.......Got me dancing in mah chair :mrgreen:

@CC Ricers:

Thank you for your ears and the feedback! I very much appreciate you actually taking the genre into consideration. Listeners can have their preference on any finished song out there but when it comes down to it, if the musician knows what they are doing, the musician did what they did for a reason and may have even followed rules. Adding a 15th line to sonnet would make it...Not a sonnet. I believe that asking for too much action from an EDM song (and this is an EDM song) is like asking to add a drum set to a baroque piece. It can be done (which may seem uneducated) but you get my point.

I don't what you mean by the "change" to the melody? I used the exact same melody from the original, keeping the simplicity as well. I agree with you 100% on your view on a good arrangement. If you go and add a significant melody to an arrangement, you may confuse the listener by overpowering the original point, straying away from the task at hand...BUT colors, arpeggios, etc. are all wonderful ideas to happen in an arrangement even like this one. But, as I said before, this was all about the groove.

MAYYYBE I'll re-upload and do the ping-pong...I'm thinking about that. I

Thank you so much, CC Ricers, I hope to see more of you.

@Skrypnyk:

Hi, Skry, thanks for you ears and feedback! I'm glad you (somewhat) enjoyed it. A few things...

I've never heard of "too much bass" in a kick unless it actually does drown something out. I do use an 808 on top of the kick sometimes to purposely have a drowning effect which I realize may not have been the most popular decision. I do hear what you are saying...The biggy-ness of the kick is a little uncommon in EDM. Some speakers may bring out certain frequencies over others and I have that happen in several different mediums too. I'll admit that I am not officially educated in mastering (and I have yet to hear any indie musician who has well-mastered music that they mastered themselves). Mastering is something that most people hate to do and musicians will very VERY rarely master their own music. I know that this piece is a bit on the loud side and not as compressed as some EDM out there such as Mord Fustang's. But, aside from that, I have to say that it's decently mixed, balanced and compressed. I hate to argue, but nothing is actually overpowered by the kick in this tune. BUT...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? :wink:

To everything else you said...Well, there was actually not a double kick in that section you were talking about...It sounds like you may have a bassy output, but I won't judge. I'm just telling you that those things you said that are there are not there. I add an 808 (which has a longer release) to downbeats to move you. Constant compressed kicks with not color do not make me inclined to dance. It's the dynamics, the colors, the rhythm...

The glitchiness you are talking about is intentional and it is in rhythm. You may not agree with it, but it does not offend the rest of the music as a whole or in theory. I see that you are very particular about the kick but even clubby/trancy kicks are all completely different from song to song, artist to artist, DJ to DJ...Some are just clicks with little bass and some have no attack with much bass. I'm talking about non-independant music, too.

You said that the song wanders around 4:30...I'd like a technical explanation, because that is absolutely not wandering at all.

Here's the big thing that got me....You said I need "filler filler filler" but then you said there's "too much going on"...What?

Believe me when I say I highly appreciate your ears and the time you took to give me feedback, but I cannot lie to you and tell you that it was easy to take your criticism entirely seriously. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend you, my friend. I'm only referring to some parts =].

@HoboKa:

THAT is exactly what was supposed to happen. You got it. You rock, man.

P.S. I seriously appreciate every one of you guys and I am re-uploading the tune with that ping pong effect, because I agree with that now.

I've never heard of "too much bass" in a kick unless it actually does drown something out. I do use an 808 on top of the kick sometimes to purposely have a drowning effect which I realize may not have been the most popular decision.

A drowning effect is preformed better using a side-chain, otherwise you're creating bass mud. When I said 'too much bass, not enough punch', I meant exactly that. Deep 808 isn't going to have a strong transient punch, thus the kick gets lost behind the synths.

I'll admit that I am not officially educated in mastering... But, aside from that, I have to say that it's decently mixed, balanced and compressed.

uh-huh. Yes, it does sound good compared to first time DAW users who have no clue what they're doing. What I'm suggesting is how to turn 'decently' into 'greatly' or 'wonderfully'.

To everything else you said...Well, there was actually not a double kick in that section you were talking about...It sounds like you may have a bassy output, but I won't judge. I'm just telling you that those things you said that are there are not there. I add an 808 (which has a longer release) to downbeats to move you. Constant compressed kicks with not color do not make me inclined to dance. It's the dynamics, the colors, the rhythm...

Perhaps double kick was the wrong term. You play a kick on the off beat and the downbeat, but the release from the off beat kick is still playing while the downbeat kick plays, creating something like:

| > kick

- > release

= > mud

| - - - | - - - | - - - | - | = | = = -

You said that the song wanders around 4:30...I'd like a technical explanation, because that is absolutely not wandering at all.

noooo.... There's a period between me talking about the song wandering, and you're section at 4:30. What I meant about song wandering (and filler filler filler) is that the section with the glitchy filtered to 4:30 is wandering filler (excluding the buildup before 4:30). It's pretty much synth/kick, couple claps and hats, rather minimal and lacks groove, and all I really mean by this is that you could remove entire sections to make a more focused and tight piece.

Believe me when I say I highly appreciate your ears and the time you took to give me feedback, but I cannot lie to you and tell you that it was easy to take your criticism entirely seriously. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to offend you, my friend. I'm only referring to some parts =].

oh I know it's hard to swallow a bitter pill, and by all means offend, it doesn't bother me what you end up doing. All I'm doing is telling you your mixing is rough, little sloppy, and there are things you can do to fix/tweak it. I'm suggesting that the song has too much filler and by shortening it you can improve the overall tune. But in the end, the final decision is yours.

[condensed into this phrase just for the sake of quoting]

Ah, yes I see your points pretty clearly now. Side-chaining is clever. Ok, I approve of the feedback if that means anything =]. Sounds educated and constructive. This piece was a fun way for me to experiment and delve into EDM...I plan on making something nicer in the near future. :wink:

I actually started (and still do) as a symphonic/nintendo-esque composer. I've been expanding into several different styles and genres since. I have a few old pieces on my SoundCloud, all originals except for the remix and remake I have on there. I've been working on a big project that's caught quite the buzz on the webernet. I can't release much of that stuff until the project is finished for the sake of anticipation. -> http://mother4.andonuts.net/

Thanks for your time, Skry, don't go away! I also re-uplaoded the song, taking down the level of the opening (no one said anything about it but I just thought it was too loud because of the frequency at that particular filter level distorting older speakers), adding the ping-pong effect, and muting a glitch pop that bled into a new phrase.

At 1:13, even though you changed it from panning right all the time, I think both sides should be more centered. I don't know if anyone else agrees, but it really annoys me.

Also, around 3:11-3:26, there is a really annoying click. I would advise you get rid of that.

The end fade out also has some clicks bouncing left and right that you might want to filter out. You should also apply the first thing I said wherever that is elsewhere...esp. near the end as well.

Love 3:43. Also, 4:20...the synth drop there...amazing....and when it leads into that nostalgic theme...with the amazing synth.....HOLY CRAP I LOVE IT. :mrgreen:

I listen to this every day. Love it, keep it up. :)!!