OCR TF2 Server - Anyone interested in trying out TF2 should join us!

Bahamut

So we had someone who tried to act like a general douche and claim he was following the rules tonight - I permabanned him in quick order after coming back on. The person went by Kman.edu. I wanted to go play L4D2 but I thought better of it and went back on the server to monitor this person's behavior. This is why I put in the clauses for acting in bad faith and don't act like a douche right in the motd, specifically for these type of people who try to skate by on the literal rules instead of the intent as written - it is codified in the first two numbered bullets for good reason.

A lesson for the admins - do not be afraid of acting, even if I'm there and haven't acted. If someone wants to get into an argument on voice chat and throw a bunch of irrelevant hyperbolic accusations towards an admin, then he/she is not acting in good faith or being courteous and thus is breaking the first two rules, which are the most important ones on the server. This is also why it's important for an admin to be present as much as possible.

Edited by Bahamut

A lesson for the admins - do not be afraid of acting, even if I'm there and haven't acted. If someone wants to get into an argument on voice chat and throw a bunch of irrelevant hyperbolic accusations towards an admin, then he/she is not acting in good faith or being courteous and thus is breaking the first two rules, which are the most important ones on the server. This is also why it's important for an admin to be present as much as possible.

Duly noted for future reference.

So the question arose obviously dealing with reserve slots - how should we institute them? Currently I have it with $2/month, which is nominal, but the $ isn't the issue - it's what do we want as far as the community.

Thoughts?

If we stick to the one server, I would say make it available to server regulars for free, and make donations optional but encouraged. If we're looking to expand like someone was talking about tonight, stick with the pay model.

As an addendum to that, RED's status as an event server made it unpopular for general use. I remember countless nights where BLU was full for hours, and RED was completely empty. If we were going to get a second server for runoff/community events, we would need at least one of:

- a set of seperate configs for different events, in addition to the standard config

-a dedicated event planner

Otherwise, I forsee it sitting empty 95% of the time, like its predecessor.

The problem with RED/BLU servers is that we usually don't have enough people on at once to fill two servers. If we're going to have an "event" server at all, I think it'd make the most sense to have the second server be running stuff that's not vanilla TF2 -- whether it's prop hunt, vs. Saxton Hale, that TF2 Warioware thing from last thread, whatever. It'll still probably be empty most of the time, but I think that'll be the case regardless.

As far as reserve slots -- what was the discussion last night about expansion? I wasn't around for that.

I think there are two ways to handle the reserved slots at this point, really.

One way is to do it by donations only (and admins obviously). $2 a month is a very reasonable price, and I'm sure most people wouldn't mind paying for a slot (or two). Would help alleviate server costs and keep the amount of reservations down.

The other way is to make it so all the regulars get a slot, regardless of donation status. This means there are more people with slots, and even those without paypal or otherwise can join in as valued community members. This option removes any sort of benefit for donators though.

It was also mentioned that money isn't really an issue for server costs at this point, so I'll ask this: If you don't need money for the server, why take donations at all?

Personally, I'm in favor giving reserved slots to donators and admins only. However, since I do plan on setting up donations here shortly, I'm a bit biased there.

We had a discussion on this last night on the server since it got brought up - there was no consensus approach though and a ton of suggestions with no one commenting on each other's approaches for the most part.

What I've decided to do so far is let all regulars be placed on reserve slot, with the next server, Red, have no reserve slots. I'm still somewhat experimenting with implementation so I don't have a great answer admittedly for the question so far. I don't have any particular preference for one method or another, but ideally I would like to see the regulars pleased and there still being an environment for non-regulars to be able to enjoy & be a part of the community as well. Other than those biases, I am flexible.

why no one want do foundry achievement ;_;

EDIT: Having been getting back into the swing of it for a little while, I've noticed some things that could be improved.

Most notably, people tend to rtv if a map drags on for a long time or there are a lot of successive steamrolls. Moving the general map time down 5 minutes would help to alleviate this somewhat. In the case of A/D maps I would suggest a round limit of 2 and no time limit. Any thoughts?

Edited by Clefairy

My problem with round limits is that sometimes everyone genuinely is enjoying a map, and then after 2 rounds, the map ends. If anyone has any good suggestions on how a good round limit could be implemented, I'm all ears though. I do want to adjust the time limit for several maps though.

Also if a particular custom map sucks, tell me. I am always looking to pare down the votable list.

Edited by Bahamut