OCR TF2 Server - Anyone interested in trying out TF2 should join us!

Bahamut

Since I'm still waiting (100k/s... ffs.), anyone want to tell me if the co-op mode uses a lobby system (ala l4d)?

Update: Now it's down to 200 Bytes/s. Yes, Bytes. Not kilo, just regular. jfkdl;afjdkfjdal;kfjvalve content servers.

Edited by XeroZohar

Since I'm still waiting (100k/s... ffs.), anyone want to tell me if the co-op mode uses a lobby system (ala l4d)?

Update: Now it's down to 200 Bytes/s. Yes, Bytes. Not kilo, just regular. jfkdl;afjdkfjdal;kfjvalve content servers.

It appears to use a lobby system just like Left 4 Dead, yes.

Current queue times are about an hour just to get in a MvM game though, I think I can wait until it dies down some.

Yep, and I can't get listen servers to work for me (never have been able to, in fact), so I'm pretty much forced to use the queuing.

This feels like the launch of L4D2 all over again.

Also, I don't seem to have gotten the free Mann Up ticket that was talked about on the official site.

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but my mental jury's still out on this whole ticket system, and what the ramifications could be. (Doesn't help that it's a bit confusing.) There's some fairly significant backlash against it going on, which I guess is expected.

I haven't had the chance to play it yet, but my mental jury's still out on this whole ticket system, and what the ramifications could be. (Doesn't help that it's a bit confusing.) There's some fairly significant backlash against it going on, which I guess is expected.

Subverted the long queue by holding a local listen server for a single round. Not sure if there are multiple difficulties on each map or what, but we beat the first mission on decoy fairly easily. Then again, it was Necro, Lumpy, two of Lumpy's friends, and myself on the team, so make of that what you will.

Subverted the long queue by holding a local listen server for a single round. Not sure if there are multiple difficulties on each map or what, but we beat the first mission on decoy fairly easily. Then again, it was Necro, Lumpy, two of Lumpy's friends, and myself on the team, so make of that what you will.

Did some testing, and using that method the map starts on the "normal" difficulty. You have to hold a map vote (or maybe use a console command but I'm not sure) to move up to "Advanced1" or "Advanced2"

Like Sombrero, Lale and I (and some friends) avoided the matchmaking by creating our own server. Then Lale's TF2 crashed, which D/C'd all of us, but it was fun while it lasted.

I fully expected Spy to be worthless, but an upgraded Sapper can be quite helpful, and armor piercing for the giants is a definite plus. HP regen + Dead Ringer = glorious. Add some fire resistance and Pyros can't touch you unless you get careless. Was enjoying a net HP gain while running away from one earlier.

Double post for update notes.

Source Engine Changes (TF2, DoD:S, HL2:DM)

• Updated client rate value to default to 30000 to improve network performance for most players
    • Rate was previously set by Steam’s Internet connection speed setting

[*]Updated client rate value to be stored in the config.cfg file

Team Fortress 2

• Fixed a crash caused by a string table overflow
  • Fixed a client crash related to the freeze panel
  • Fixed a client crash related to ragdolls
  • Fixed a client crash related to the Mann vs. Machine upgrade panel
  • Fixed a client crash related to Mann vs. Machine stats
  • Fixed a crash related to server plug-ins spawning a Mann vs. Machine Tank before the game is ready
  • Updated the dedicated server to exit when attempting to start a Mann vs. Machine map with less than 32 maxplayers
  • Fixed mp_timelimit causing Mann vs. Machine mode to not reset properly when the defenders lose
  • Fixed the Mann vs. Machine wave loss/victory dialog buttons not being clickable sometimes
  • Fixed the Mann vs. Machine victory dialog getting stuck on the screen
  • Fixed the Mann vs. Machine wave summary dialog showing up at the beginning of the first wave
  • Fixed seeing incorrect upgrades in the Mann vs. Machine upgrade panel
  • Updated upgrade icons to remove numbers
  • Fixed Sentry Busters picking disposable buildings as valid targets
  • Fixed an instance of the Sentry Buster sound looping endlessly
  • Updated the backpack image for Archimedes to fix an alpha channel problem
  • Updated the colors for The Battery Bandolier
  • Fixed the disconnect reason not being localized properly for Mann vs. Machine mode
  • Fixed player glow colors not based on player health in some community mods outside of Mann vs. Machine mode
  • Removed console spew related to missing movement warnings
  • Updated the matchmaking ConVar tf_mm_strict
    • A value of 2 will hide the server from the server browser but will still allow direct connections

[*]Updated Mvm_Mannworks

• Adjusted clipping on left side drop down where bots may become stuck
    • Fixed lighting seam near base
    • Fixed vphysics prop error in console
    • Minor clipping pass on areas players may become hung up on

I managed to play a round of MvM yesterday. Good times, though hopefully it stabilizes soon. (It took me about a half-hour to get into a game, and after the first one it wouldn't let me re-queue.) My normal class (sniper) isn't ideal for MvM -- something with rapid fire and/or splash damage is definitely preferable -- but a huntsman with extra ammo and fast reload is hilarious. I'll have to try out a heavy and BWAHAHA CRY SOME MORE all dem robots to death. It'll be good times.

so I've been Manning Up as Scout, Heavy, Demo, Soldier and Pyro, so of course my first tour of duty gets me a Strange Botkiller Gold Knife. Looks like it's time to learn how to sap those bots!

We should Mann Up some time, just get in touch with El Brushfire or me.

I didn't realize that the gold variant was rare (15% according to the wiki!!). So far I am really really liking the update, it's definitely getting me back into playing. Still not keen on some of the new items in the game but I'm over the shock I experienced last year that kept me away-- playing against hordes of bots seems to help ease one back into the groove of things.

edit: by the way I meant the full campaign (all 6 maps completed), not just one outing. I had just been getting garbage items for each mission although I had seen some nice drops too, at least 4 hats. also it's seriously awesome when there are multiple surplus tickets in play :D

Edited by Garian

I can't say I have any plans to buy a ticket...really not a fan of that system.

I finally did get a chance to try out the game mode with a pick-up group, and we...failed pretty spectacularly. We were doing the first mission on the list, and we couldn't even make it past Wave 2. It's not like any of us were particularly bad at our individual roles; we just couldn't get it together, and kept being pushed back.

Some good strategies here:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Mann_vs._Machine_strategy

What "builds" have been working for you guys as far as teams/equipment/upgrades go?

I've personally been favoring Spy when the rest of my team is composed of distance-attackers like Engineer, Sniper, Demoman, and Soldier. Getting up close and collecting money is extremely easy when the bots don't fire at you, and being able to sap priority targets and swarms alike is great.

It's also great fun completely disregarding the knife upgrades in favor of Sapper, HP regen, and defenses, which work great with the standard Invisibility Watch. Can't help but think that the Dead Ringer would undoubtedly be more helpful in MvM, but I don't have one due to my adamant refusal to use it in PvP. ^_^