OCR TF2 Server - Anyone interested in trying out TF2 should join us!

Bahamut

An update to Team Fortress 2 has been released. The update will be applied automatically when you restart Team Fortress 2. The major changes include:

Added a new ConVar cl_first_person_uses_world_model to allow this mode to be used outside of VR mode

Disabled plug-ins that would allow users to connect to secure game servers even when -insecure is specified on the command line

Continued use of such plug-ins will risk your Steam account getting VAC banned

Added support for unloading the displayed URL when the user closes the info panel

Added ConVar sv_motd_unload_on_dismissal to allow server ops to control the default behavior of their MOTD

Fixed a client crash related to doing a changelevel while firing the Minigun

Fixed a bug where you could come out of a teleporter facing the wrong way in VR mode

Fixed a bug with custom fonts not loading for third party HUDs on Linux.

Improved performance and stability for the Linux version

Server updated and restarted. Currently assessing damage to addons and plugins.

He's dead, Jim.

No wait just kidding, everything seems to be working fine.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Valve store has some fun stuff: http://store.valvesoftware.com/product.php?i=AP2031

Also, some of you already know this, but I'm taking a vacation on the west coast sometime in July-September for two weeks - in particular, I plan on stopping by Reno, Sacramento, San Francisco, Los Angeles (or the area at least), and Las Vegas. If there are any of you along the route, we should hang out! I know there's a healthy crew around Sacramento at the least.

Edited by Bahamut

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7388-QPFN-2491

SteamPipe is here! Hooray/Damnit

Well, this is ultimately a good thing. But the conversion process might be...rough. I'm hoping I'll have the server working fine 'n' dandy by primetime tomorrow.

I converted to the Steampipe Beta last week because my game kept trying to validate itself on launch (a bug with the apparent fix of "reinstall the game").

The startup time and loading in general is greatly reduced. It's great.

As for the conversion itself, it took me about an hour to finish it up. The greater part of that was evidently "updating" something in the game, and then I had to redownload a few gigabytes of files. Worth it, though.

I was going to complain because that link mentions that they've un-shared common files between Source engine games so installations will probably get a few GB larger, and my SSD is running low on space as it is, but then I realized that TF2 is the only Source game I have installed anyway.

I was going to complain because that link mentions that they've un-shared common files between Source engine games so installations will probably get a few GB larger, and my SSD is running low on space as it is, but then I realized that TF2 is the only Source game I have installed anyway.

Is there any particular benefits to installing on an SSD? I installed my TF2 on a non-SSD drive and my loading time has generally been near-unbeaten on the server.

From what I've heard from people in the know, SSDs don't do a whole lot for most games, since you're generally loading data from the hard drive fairly linearly for them anyway. It might be worth a test, but I wouldn't expect any huge gains.

Speaking of space, I found that the game was taking up an extra 10 GB or so after the upgrade, but then I figured out that the process hadn't deleted the old .gcf files in the SteamApps folder. I ditched those, and TF2 seemed to run fine without them, so my total install size is about the same as it was before.

Is it possible we could delete the arena maps off the server? Arena is where fun goes to die in TF2.

Maybe send a group of goons to the house of anyone who tries to vote for it anyway. You know, to make it long-lasting.

Is it possible we could delete the arena maps off the server? Arena is where fun goes to die in TF2.

Maybe send a group of goons to the house of anyone who tries to vote for it anyway. You know, to make it long-lasting.

If you want to incur the wrath of Frost, sure, go ahead. :P

Is it possible we could delete Dustbowl off the server? Dustbowl is where fun goes to die in TF2.

Fixed.

Here's the thing. Nobody's fun is less valid than anybody else's. Personally, I think arena is high-stakes play that punishes you for being sloppy. The long wait between rounds can be a problem, especially with the 8v8 limit and sit-out mechanic. But I'm willing to accept that for the change of pace it offers.

If you really find arena so odious, don't play it. The larger community has indicated what they like and don't like; take it for what it is and ditch the bits that don't do anything for you.

Fixed.

Here's the thing. Nobody's fun is less valid than anybody else's. Personally, I think arena is high-stakes play that punishes you for being sloppy. The long wait between rounds can be a problem, especially with the 8v8 limit and sit-out mechanic. But I'm willing to accept that for the change of pace it offers.

If you really find arena so odious, don't play it. The larger community has indicated what they like and don't like; take it for what it is and ditch the bits that don't do anything for you.

No one ever calls me for announcer duty anymore.

Fixed.

Actually, I was pointed to a cvar that eliminates the team limits of 8v8 (yay), so you can have a full 12v12 now on arena.

I love Dustbowl still - I still enjoy it, and more than a lot of other maps.

I'll be sure to send you the invite then whenever stuff goes down Brush.