Shenmue Nightfall Remix

noTuX

This is a chill remix of the Nightfall theme from Shenmue. I plan on mixing another song in there with it. I'm just trying to decide what.

Original song: http://youtu.be/gisvHDO_pvw

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/user7666413/shenmue-a-breeze-in-the-night

Check it out and let me know what you think.

This is so chill. Love the source. The bass kind of dominates a bit. Perhaps an upright acoustic bass would fit this instrumentation a little better. Also the drums sound very synthetic - it's most telling on the rim clicks - it's sounds like a general midi drum kit and when the click plays on the offbeat of the last beat of the bar it's the same velocity as when it's playing on the strong beats - that stood out to me like a sore thumb.

Otherwise, the flute sounds good - i would be tempted to put some delay on it. I'd love to see where this will go! I reckon this mix would really shine with a little live recording mixed in or going for a more electronic sound. At the moment it's kinda somewhere between - fairly low quality virtual instruments emulating real instruments with synth bass/some other synths.

So I think in order to make the most of what you've got, either make it more liiive and call upon someone to help you out with that if you don't have the resources yourself or give it an electronic overhaul.

: ) Those are my impressions.

This is sounding really nice right now! The only things I would suggest would be:

Maybe add some sections where the bass slides from one note to the next, kind of like a fret slide.

Sometimes, you could replace the reverb sidestick with a reverb clap.

Cool ideas. The bass patch I'm using wont allow me to do slides, so I'm probably going to be using a different sample in future updates.

I'll definitely be doing more work on the drums. I've only been working on this particular mix for a few hours, so I still have a few more ideas that I want to hammer down.

This is so chill. Love the source. The bass kind of dominates a bit. Perhaps an upright acoustic bass would fit this instrumentation a little better. Also the drums sound very synthetic - it's most telling on the rim clicks - it's sounds like a general midi drum kit and when the click plays on the offbeat of the last beat of the bar it's the same velocity as when it's playing on the strong beats - that stood out to me like a sore thumb.

Otherwise, the flute sounds good - i would be tempted to put some delay on it. I'd love to see where this will go! I reckon this mix would really shine with a little live recording mixed in or going for a more electronic sound. At the moment it's kinda somewhere between - fairly low quality virtual instruments emulating real instruments with synth bass/some other synths.

So I think in order to make the most of what you've got, either make it more liiive and call upon someone to help you out with that if you don't have the resources yourself or give it an electronic overhaul.

: ) Those are my impressions.

I'll be making changes to the bass. I've been using similar types of basses in my previous mixes, so this time I want to use one that I've never used before. I do plan on having heavy bass, but not overpowering. I'll tone it down and try out some other samples.

I'm using some cheesy drum samples along with the better quality ones to kinda create a hybrid/retro/electronic/ethnic/whatever :< mix. I'll be making some changes to them though.

• 3 weeks later...