OCR02595 - *YES* Super Mario Galaxy 'Little Glockenspiel'

OceansAndrew

Ribbitzy Guifrog Greenarch doesn't want to stop, so here it goes again! This one's quite a personal, intimate sub. That said, if this gets rejected, please don't EVER show the comment lines on it. >P

Game -> Super Mario Galaxy

Source -> Stardust Road (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64Czms00U2w)

Mix name -> Little Glockenspiel

COMMENT LINES:

So I thought I'd treat Mario in a delicate way: small italian touch throughout, in a way I'd see romantic Venice during a full-moon night.

Just so you know: right now, I'm in Recife - Brazil, below a barely visible starry night, but nearby the ocean and its smooth sounds. Funny thing that immediately came to mind is, this city's also known as the brazilian Venice, due to its many crossing rivers. That said, I suppose it's plainly possible to feel poetry over the goodies and problems inside Recife's shell.

You may see this one's a small, simple piece, and carries part of my underneath. I tried to create its structure carefully, and here's how I can sum it up: I feel small before people and dreamy before reality. The song has breaks that represent my difficulty on following paths - I tend to hesitate a lot. Then, after each break, the song comes stronger - and so does my sense of conviction. An acoustic guitar follows the glock; that expresses my passional dreams. So, at first, they're a timid thought; then, a strong consideration; and then, the plenitude of my wills. The timid ludicity from this track represents how much I admire children, and how I dearly feel like respecting my inner child. That is, as long as I'm aware that I'm an adult, but as matter of fact, there was a time when I went pretty insanely Peterpan. Nowadays, I suppose I'm more on the "sane" level of childishness. :P

Now, I hope the following doesn't end up too confusing... The track's beginning n' ending can be interpreted as a scene of Someone sleeping. Which means you can translate 'little glockenspiel' not only as me, but as someone else. Or, everyone else. And the whole story would be a single dream.

Life's a dream. That's what I believe in. :)

This is really nice; I love the soundscape and arrangement choices, and though some of the string sequencing sounds a bit slow on the attacks, it adds a bit to the dream-like quality the mix has. The guitar was pretty nicely sequenced, and the flow of the different sections was nice. Samples got the job done, and it feels to me kindof like a Darkesword track, which is something I really enjoy. Nice work, I love it. :-)

Yes

I'd really like to hear someone do a more liberal take on this theme, but this was very pretty, and the personalization added here was still great. really loved the way you treated the melody/harmony right there before the end. the strings definitely sounded pretty fake when they were exposed at the beginning but became a lot less noticeable as other stuff filled into the soundscape. my biggest complaint is probably a lack in the low-end, could have used a thicker bass presence imo, just during the fuller sections. I'm not gonna dwell on it though, pretty nice stuff here, and one of your most polished sounding submissions yet in my opinion. :)

YES

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finding that the same critiques I have of your electronic tracks also apply to your acoustic ones, Gui :-P When the instruments are exposed, they're hardly convincing (though I gotta commend you on the sequencing for the guitar) and overall the mastering feels pretty mid-high dominant. The strings are probably the most noticeably unrealistic of the bunch, but fortunately there's only a few moments where they're playing without accompaniment.

Fortunately, though, many of the strengths of your dance tunes carry over here too, and the result of this genre transition is really special. Your eclectic choice of instruments always brings some unique spice to OCR's library, and the complex melody writing feels nothing short of magical. The peaks and valleys of the arrangement are very strong and pronounced thanks to some great transition writing.

Clearly I love this mix a lot. Looking at it objectively, there's issues with samples and sequencing, but honestly they don't affect my enjoyment of the track at all, really. Excellent work, friend!

YES

• 5 weeks later...