Johto Trainer Battle Remix "Top Percentile!"

I think besides when you have the chippy stuff, it's a little tough to define the song, and is that the original theme sampled into the song? I think you could get creative with that, and stray from the original sixteenth notes for some variety.

Since it's a WIP I'll wait for the full arrangement to criticize structure and such.

I do like the sounds you use for percussion

I'll just have to wait until the finished version is out to fully crit!

I think besides when you have the chippy stuff, it's a little tough to define the song, and is that the original theme sampled into the song? I think you could get creative with that, and stray from the original sixteenth notes for some variety.

Since it's a WIP I'll wait for the full arrangement to criticize structure and such.

I do like the sounds you use for percussion

I'll just have to wait until the finished version is out to fully crit!

Thanks for the crit so far, anyway! Anything at all helps, really. :)

I'll be sure to post up a newer, more complete version soon.

If you're trying to get this on OCR, then I'd suggest that you don't sample from the original song. Sampling from the original source is basically a no-no :P

Ok so going down the chiptune route is pretty cool. Drum and 8-bit :P

Its hard to tell the exact feel you're going for with this, mainly because the drums lack any sort of bass content. I can't tell if this is suppose to sound like pendulum crossed with chiptune or if you're going for something a little more on the softer, yet still energetic side of things. Either way, you need a bit more of a bass presence than what you've got. Boost the level of the kick a little. The arrangement is actually pretty cool because you've managed to add some sweet variations but this does sound like its close to sampled from the original based on the instrumentation you used. You can certainly afford to personalize the track a little more and still keep it sounding close to the source, but there are some really cool personalized bits throughout that I really like.

I'd focus just a tad more on personalization with the more conservative bits, with instrumentation if nothing else, and boost the kick a tad, then message me back and i'll have another look at what you've done :)

Oh btw, Youtube isn't a good source to put your music on for critique. Post it on tindeck!

If you're trying to get this on OCR, then I'd suggest that you don't sample from the original song. Sampling from the original source is basically a no-no :P

Ok so going down the chiptune route is pretty cool. Drum and 8-bit :P

Its hard to tell the exact feel you're going for with this, mainly because the drums lack any sort of bass content. I can't tell if this is suppose to sound like pendulum crossed with chiptune or if you're going for something a little more on the softer, yet still energetic side of things. Either way, you need a bit more of a bass presence than what you've got. Boost the level of the kick a little. The arrangement is actually pretty cool because you've managed to add some sweet variations but this does sound like its close to sampled from the original based on the instrumentation you used. You can certainly afford to personalize the track a little more and still keep it sounding close to the source, but there are some really cool personalized bits throughout that I really like.

I'd focus just a tad more on personalization with the more conservative bits, with instrumentation if nothing else, and boost the kick a tad, then message me back and I'll have another look at what you've done :)

Oh btw, Youtube isn't a good source to put your music on for critique. Post it on tindeck!

Thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah, I wanted this arrangement to have more of a calming feel as opposed to the atmosphere it usually carries. I'll be sure to add in some more of my own flavour to it in the next version.

I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to submit this when it's done. I'd really love to make this mix the best it can be though.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Yeah, I wanted this arrangement to have more of a calming feel as opposed to the atmosphere it usually carries. I'll be sure to add in some more of my own flavour to it in the next version.

Lol, "more of a calming feel"?! Not sure DnB was the way to go for that!! I didn't get that at all, it seemed to be pretty high energy still. Which is fine! Love me some high energy. But even just the progression of the thing gives off a VERY strong feeling of tension. If you DO decide to go higher energy, Will pretty much hit the nail on the head; more bass in the drums, and personalize instrumentation more. I'd LOVE to hear a version of this that knocks me flat on my skinny ass, and I'm sure you could accomplish this quite easily (not because I'm easily knocked on my ass, but because of the music you've already got :P )

There are a few sour harmonies too, like the last half of :42 and to a lesser extent, :45. Also some of the chords during the 1:16 segment. Love the drop-out right after though, makes a great building section. EDIT: well shit, I listened to the first version you posted for these time markings. A lot of the sour harmonies have been fixed, but most of the other stuff still stands. Also, thanks for finding another host other than YouTube :D

I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to submit this when it's done. I'd really love to make this mix the best it can be though.

This is a GREAT. FUCKING. Attitude to have. Quite refreshing from some of the recent "FUCK OFF I MEANT IT TO BE LIKE THAT" mentality that I've been seeing in the forum lately. Which, btw, will get you absolutely nowhere as a musician.

Anyway, hope that helps out a bit. Best of luck

pH

Lol, "more of a calming feel"?! Not sure DnB was the way to go for that!! I didn't get that at all, it seemed to be pretty high energy still. Which is fine! Love me some high energy. But even just the progression of the thing gives off a VERY strong feeling of tension. If you DO decide to go higher energy, Will pretty much hit the nail on the head; more bass in the drums, and personalize instrumentation more. I'd LOVE to hear a version of this that knocks me flat on my skinny ass, and I'm sure you could accomplish this quite easily (not because I'm easily knocked on my ass, but because of the music you've already got :P )

There are a few sour harmonies too, like the last half of :42 and to a lesser extent, :45. Also some of the chords during the 1:16 segment. Love the drop-out right after though, makes a great building section. EDIT: well shit, I listened to the first version you posted for these time markings. A lot of the sour harmonies have been fixed, but most of the other stuff still stands. Also, thanks for finding another host other than YouTube :D

This is a GREAT. FUCKING. Attitude to have. Quite refreshing from some of the recent "FUCK OFF I MEANT IT TO BE LIKE THAT" mentality that I've been seeing in the forum lately. Which, btw, will get you absolutely nowhere as a musician.

Anyway, hope that helps out a bit. Best of luck

pH

Lol, think I'm gonna take the drums up more and add to them to make this more intense.

This is all great stuff. Thanks so much for the feedback! :D

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon there is more potential to unlock in this mix. I think the arrangement is pretty damn good. There's a good amount of personalisation but still retains the feel of the original very well. My feedback is going solely off your latest version.

The drums are at a good level but the leads and other synths kinda need to be beefier. They're getting a tad lost/overpowered by the drums. You could do with some more EQ to get rid of some of the muddiness (scoop out some of those mids). It'll help with getting the leads etc. to stand out more and be clearer. I'd like to just make it clear, I don't think the drums need to be quieter, its just the leads need more presence/fatness.

At 1:10 you really need to have at least a crash hit to emphasize that mini-drop.

Other than that, I reckon with the intro you could get some more interest going with panning the high-pitched accompaniment part left and then right. Just a suggestion to give some more motion to the soundscape.

Honestly, I really think this is a great arrangement. Do more! :)

I'm feeling weird about this one.

I think that you've got an alright arrangment, but the drums are pretty weak IMO. DnB is about the Drum and BASS!

The kick drum needs more punch which I think can be accomplished by boosting up around 200hz or so, or at least in some of the midlow freuqies. The drum lines are really cool but they should just come up.

I agree there is a huge swath in the middle of this mix that could use instrumentation. Perhaps give the bass a bit more in the higher register of frequency information. Make it a triangle or a saw instead. I'm not great at synth design, but those are some things to consider.

that's what's got me buggered the most. <3