Why don't any OC ReMixes sound like this?

Thin Crust

When I first heard Rhapsody of Fire several years ago I was absolutely blown away by the powerful sound they delivered. (My brother was playing it on his computer when I walked in.) Wikipedia calls them a symphonic power metal band which to me sounds like a combination asking for trouble. But ever since then, I've always wondered why I can't find anything on this site in the same style. I mean,

sounds kind of close, but that's pretty much it. (Forgive me if I am missing an obvious one.)

Now let me just say that in no way am I disappointed with the quality of music being put on this site. My MP3 is filled to the brim with all kinds of great works from the talented artists here. I am just curious because this band kind of targets gamers with their content anyway. They sing of a fantasy story that unfolds with each track on their album which seems like it would be mostly directed at us as a target audience.

Ah, Rhapsody. I love their music, but I'm really not a fan of all the fantasy lyrics (One or two songs would be okay, but the whole discography, c'mon). :lol:

Anyway, I did a collab with NintenJoe 64 on the BadAss album that is symphonic power metal (but the quality is not that great).

Also, almost eveything from The Dual Dragons is close to this. Some work from Brandon Strader (especially his Skyrim remix), BONKERS or goat (his CV remixes are old now, but still great) too.

Check Dwelling of Duels too, they have great symphonic metal sometimes (virt and SnappleMan did a great Zelda arrangement a few months ago in that precise genre).

I hope it helps. :)

Chernabogue nailed it. There's tons of symphonic power metal outside of OCR (though I think 'Prancing Dad' might be one you're overlooking,) particularly with the Dwelling of Duels. goat is definitely a great representation of the genre; his
arrangement is still one of the finest ever created.

I wouldn't have even known how awesome "Creeping Dusk" was if you hadn't played it last night, Kyle.

Part of the problem as far as I can tell is that power metal is a technical genre. I'm not sure whether many artists out there are capable of putting together songs that could display such prowess, much less do so in a consistent & high volume manner.

Contrary to what has been said, there isn't so much power metal in the vgm community period. The band that might've shown the closest aspects to it is Powerglove with their first EP. I would love to see more successful genuine power metal takes on vgm. The bar is high though.

Best thread of 2012

Metal is in demand at OCR now >:]

I'd love to make some power metal with the vocals. Eh I do have a new Skyrim remix coming to OCR (in 9 years!) with vocals but I think it's closer to folk metal. But yeah, I don't think there's a single power metal song on OCR? Definitely needs the vocals to be considered power metal.

Honest question: Is there a version of the FF6 opera song(s) that sounds like Within Temptation anywhere? That isn't done by the Black Mages? I don't remember if they did one or not, but I heard one version of it done in some kind of official capacity and didn't like the singers...

Honest question: Is there a version of the FF6 opera song(s) that sounds like Within Temptation anywhere? That isn't done by the Black Mages? I don't remember if they did one or not, but I heard one version of it done in some kind of official capacity and didn't like the singers...

I think that when Zircon's FF6 project comes out, you should get it right away. JUST SAYING.

Eh I do have a new Skyrim remix coming to OCR (in 9 years!) with vocals but I think it's closer to folk metal. But yeah, I don't think there's a single power metal song on OCR? Definitely needs the vocals to be considered power metal.

Preview! Now! PM me the WIP!!!! please?

For anyone new to Folk Metal, this is the reason it exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-T8M0U4390

I imagine it's definitely tough for a remixer to:

1) Get a nice symphony sound (not the tough part)

2) Mix Power Metal instruments (tough, but very possible)

3) Combine them (I can't even imagine how nightmarish that must be for a mixer)

4) Master it (Jesus Christ this is just giving me a headache thinking about it)

While symphonic power metal is so totally possible, as it is a thing that people do, I'm sure it requires a LOT of production and fiddling. I imagine.

Preview! Now! PM me the WIP!!!! please?

AIN'T a Wip or a whip. 'Tis a SONG

For anyone new to Folk Metal, this is the reason it exists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-T8M0U4390

That's not really accurate at all. Finntroll are not trendsetters and they're not even pure 'folk metal'... They're more like polka metal, or at least they WERE, before they got a new singer and became a lazy, mediocre shadow of the band they were before. :twisted: Man, you shouldn't be telling people that Finntroll is like DA BEST folk metal, say Ensiferum or something, or Equilibrium, or... somethin

That's not really accurate at all. Finntroll are not trendsetters and they're not even pure 'folk metal'... They're more like polka metal, or at least they WERE, before they got a new singer and became a lazy, mediocre shadow of the band they were before. :twisted: Man, you shouldn't be telling people that Finntroll is like DA BEST folk metal, say Ensiferum or something, or Equilibrium, or... somethin

Hardly, but thank you for showing the good people at OCR what MYETAL IS ALL ABOUT!!

Notice, the lines we have here. Metal is great for having 1000's of different genres and all of them are poorly/loosely defined. Chances are if you think one band is one genre, another metal head will quickly refute your assumption. Not to prove a point, but to FIGHT!! Metal inspires lower brain mentality and the (many)lines have been drawn for you. Pick a side and get to it. Because tommarow there's going to be even more lines and people willing to fight to defend/destroy them.

I never said Finntroll was "DA BEST" and while I agree with your post completely, I still have to argue with ya. :) It wouldn't be metal otherwise. AND I never said anything of what was in that reply!!! Where did you get all of that?! :)

Nothing beats Equilibrium and Nicholas Cage's only movie worth seeing was Raising Arizona! Now what are you going to say to that?

Oh and thanks for the link. :) But I wouldn't call that Folk Metal! I'd call it VG inspired pseudo folk speed metalcore! You know, 'cause of the rhythm guitar chugs!