Gobble Snarf Snap (Phantom Train FF6)

Hey Guys,

I only have a few days to get this ready for the competition, so I need some help. There are some obvious problems (a couple of timing issues, the guitar at 2:12) but I'm looking for an overall critique of this. Does it sound empty or repetitive, can I add pads to make it fill out more, are there any other suggestions...

I wanted to take this into Django territory, for those of you who are jazz fans. I dunno if it worked or what. Guitar and clarinet are live, all else are soundfonts or samples.

Thanks!

http://soundcloud.com/xprtnovice/gobble-snarf-snap

Source:

<MODREVIEW>

Honestly, I really dig this. I'm a huge fan of this style of music, especially when paired with house (a la the new Electro-Swing stuff, Caravan Palace and the like). Just a couple of minor criticisms:

- The finger sweeping noise (when you're changing chords) gets just a bit distracting at times.

- Some of the longer notes with the clarinet (I assume) need a bit more articulation, if they're going to be held that long. They get just a wee bit stale after more than a half-note or so, I'd say.

- A couple of the transitions, such as around 1:44 and 2:32 lack some energy. The beat stays very much the same throughout the entire track, and while that's not a bad thing per se, you could stand to add a few percussion fills and maybe a bit more excitement as the track progresses--just give the listener something to build upon.

The mix sounds pretty decent to me, assuming you want the percussion to be so low in the mix. As an aesthetic choice, I think it works decently well. The train wind noise from the source tune is just a wee bit harsh, perhaps, but that's my only real nitpick.

It's pretty good, really. I enjoyed myself thoroughly while listening, and I bet a bunch of other listeners will as well--the arrangement is pretty clever, and definitely has that "foot-tapping" quality to it. A bit more polish would really send you in the right direction, I think.

</MODREVIEW>

Truth in advertising - I studied Caravan Palace and Django tunes for a week straight to prep my brain for arranging this piece. I have to submit this to the competition in two days, but assuming it doesn't win and get picked up for the CD I'd love to collab. Or, conversely, if you need a clarinet player to lay something down, you know who to call.

I found a ReMix with a similar style to this one ( http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01466/ ). Oh Hey Flex, PM me please. You've done wonders with another track of mine, and I wanted to see if you'd be down with helping me on another track of mine.

Dude! I've been looking for that mix forever! I found it on a website a while ago and didn't know it was up here. I love it. I wanted to collab with that guy but he never got back to me.

• 3 months later...