Contra - Jungle \ Hangar [stage 1 & 7]

Brentalfloss, you annoying mofo, I can't listen to this without hearing them lyrics in my head.

Anyway...

Drums are pretty cool, just EQd to have this really loud muddy rumble in their lows. Always go for a balanced mix instead of one with the bass knob turned to 11. ;)

The rest of the instrumentation ranges from mediocre and passable to unconvincing and horrible. Put some thought into your sound design, how it actually sounds (rather than what the instruments say they are), and you'll be making far better mixes in no-time. :)

Brentalfloss, you annoying mofo

Ben and I saw him at MAG... Ben waved, and Brent gave him a SUPER pissed off look :P

Anyway, YouTube, nooooooooooo D: Youtube audio quality is absolute trash. I'm willing to attribute quite a bit of the mud to the fact that YouTube is your host. Use Tindeck, SoundCloud, Box... really, anything except YT haha

And echoing everything Rozo said. Although that slap bass sample reminds me of 16 bit SNES music, it might be cool to add in some SNES chip elements

pH

Thanks for the listening and thanks for the feedback. I would suggest listening to the songs in 720p- 1080p or higher. Also youtube does degrade my WAV file mixes. The youtube quality isn't all that great. They sound so much better when they aren't being converted to YT.

Also I try to keep some retro sounds in my tracks. If you listen to listen to a few other remakes you'll see that I put thought into my sounds. Anyways thanks for the feedback. I'll post more of my tracks here soon enough. I'm doing a few more NES tracks.

Brentalfloss, you annoying mofo, I can't listen to this without hearing them lyrics in my head.

The dude accidentally called me a girl at his Q&A at Otakon 2011, shook my hand, then sang me and the audience the Pokemon video before it was released as a response to my question. Pretty cool guy, very apologetic.

Anywho!

Your percussion is a bit loud, and you gotta bump up that lead. The basses do end up getting pretty muddy, and the arrangement is pretty conservative, but I love the sounds you have! The slap bass and the fast drums make the song have energy and power, and the guitar is pretty well played, albeit generic. But a song the energetic can lead to cool stuff! Go wild! Drum solo, guitar solo, hell, throw in a slap bass solo! Interest me, immerse me!

I wasn't familiar with the original, so I looked that up first to compare against. While I do agree there are things you could do to improve the mixing and mastering (there always are), I like what you've done with it. It has more of a sense of urgency than the original did, and I think the guitar is a nice addition. I would encourage you to take some of the other advice already given, just be sure you don't go into death-by-tweakage mode, as once you've gotten to that point the work can suffer.

• 2 weeks later...

@ PixelPanic

Thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback. I will keep all of that in mind for future projects. I try to keep it as retro as I can.

@ Fictionalhead

What is "death-by-tweakage mode"? Is that too much EQ etc? Also thanks for listening as well. Thanks for the feedback.