OCR02879 - *YES* OutRun (ARC) 'This Ain't No Shower (It's a Downpour)' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original Decision

Your ReMixer name: Magellanic (Previously Lidawg)

Your real name: Liam Charalambous

Your userid: 45748

Name of game(s) arranged: Outrun

Name of arrangement: This ain't no shower (It's a Downpour)

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Magical Sound Shower

Source -

Comments: After looking back on my inital submission the judges were spot on with all their feedback. I almost threw the towel in with this one, but I've given it one last shot. I think that all the previous production concerns have been addressed and hopefully there aren't too many new ones. The direction with this track is to go for a kinda upgraded 80's vibe (hence the fake brass synths).

In terms of arrangement, I've cut out some parts to keep the flow of the track and get rid of the repetition. There is a completely new ending and more personalisation.

Source Breakdown:

00:00 - 00:20 - Extended version of source introduction's section B

00:20 - 00:33 - Source verse with added harmonies

00:33 - 00:47 - Source Chorus with variation of introduction's motif accompanying (brass synth)

00:47 - 00:53 - Source introduction section B on Rhythm guitar

00:53 - 01:05 - Variation/Original Verse

01:05 - 01:19 - Variation/Original Chorus

01:19 - 01:45 - Variation/Original breakdown section. Uses motif from the source's introduction section A

01:45 - 02:21 - Original solo section based off (uses same chords) the source's lead to the solo section.

02:21 - 02:27 - Source's introduction section B

02:27 - 02:40 - Variation/Original Verse section

02:40 - End - Variation/Original Chorus with Source's chorus as counter-melody

Other than that, I hope you enjoy the mix if nothing else!

Edited by djpretzel

• 4 weeks later...

This is definitely feeling pretty good. The drums were nice, and I like the source and the way it was treated. I don't think the synths were amazing, but they are light flourishes in a primarily rock song, and fit well and give the song some charm. The drums could have been a little punchier, but overall the balance was decent, and it had a breezy feel. Some of the synths that came in were a touch on the loud side, but nothing that really kills this.

It's an excellent theme performed in a fun way, what's not to like? :-)

Yes

• 1 month later...

Fun source, especially since I just judged a track that included the same one! Your take here is a bit on the conservative side in terms of structure and overall style change, but I think there's a ton of personalization and your approach gives it a lot of life. There's quite a bit of energy, as well, which is good to hear, and keeps me interested. I will agree with Andrew that there are a few things (drums, some of the synths) that aren't quite where they need to be, but they are also not in a position to be a dealbreaker here. Nice work.

YES

Hard to put my finger on what exactly didn't work in this one, but I think a lot of it comes down to the balance and mixing. The drums aren't that powerful and there wasn't a strong rhythm to the arrangement - case in point, the guitar felt compressed to the point of being flat. The lead guitar also could have been more present in the mix so that it wasn't competing with the background instruments. Apart from production, the synths weren't all that interesting to listen to and the song felt on the bland side.

I like the additions you've made to the source, and generally, the concept is sound. It's very close to the bar, but I'd like to see one more try. Given how it looks like you improved on the last version, I think you can knock this out of the park next time, whether it's this song or something else.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

This is normally where I co-sign with Palp, and he's totally right on the issues he pointed out. But I'm just not as bothered by the production issues to go NO.

The mixing was cramped and shouldn't have been this crowded from :31-1:19. It seemed like other parts were competing in the same frequency range as the guitar, but the overall soundscape was full without being too muddy. The drum writing was OK, though some brief sections here and there felt like vanilla timekeeping; you have areas here and there where the drums were too plain, but the tone was OK and the execution got by.

The brass sample quality was on the lower end, which was unfortunate, because it ended up being pretty integral to the piece. That said, while it was noticeably fake, it was mixed in a way that didn't allow that to ruin the piece. The guitar performance sounded strong & expressive though, including original sections like 1:05-1:18 where the energy was ratcheted up. When instruments dropped out and the synth part from 2:11-2:18 was briefly more prominent, the sound was pure 80's cheese, in a good way.

This definitely could use some mixing tweaks to sound less compressed, and I'd LOVE to here them, BUT the strong arrangement and solid performances carry this over the line for me. Nice job, Liam, this is bringing it.

YES

• 3 weeks later...