Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

Hey, the threads alive again! Well.. it's kinda shameful, but I haven't been able to work on it much since I got it started thanks to life. Here's the beginning WiP for Mysterious Woods, http://www.dcmperformance.com/music/Links_Awakening_-_Mysterious_Woods_ReMix_3.mp3 - towards the end of the song is where I always test, so it might seem like the song is jumping around a lot. Feedback is appreciated. ;)

For me the drums doesn't work for this style of music, it sounds very midi'ish while still it sounds like you try to emulate a real drumkit. In several of the fills/breaks, the crash was way off target. The bassline in the intro had some potential but lacked the extra touches to really groove. Keep working on it man.

The drums are pretty much placeholders, but the kit used was actually the FPC straight from FL. The crash is intentionally where it is, but maybe its a drummer thing. The bassline is direct from the original song, as is the piano piece, its just done with the chosen samples, I used it as a lead-in and starting point, and I don't think the song would really work without it due to the style. I'll see what I could do about beefing it up a little though! Thanks for the feedback, and yeah... lots of work to go still. ;)

Ath, you're the guy heading up this project, so itd be good to know what you think too. Feel free to PM me on it if you don't want to make it public.

Well, case, I like that guitary wah wah thing going on, but I've gotta point out that the bassline you've started out with is not actually in tune with your piano.

Second, the synth lead is creating a lot of discord with that delay on it, and whatever that stuff is.

It has potential in the later sections, but it's kinda messy, and you need to be sure that all of the parts are in tune with eachother.

Right now it needs a lot of work.

schrage,

I'm liking this one lots. It's got a good groove, and it's got the atmosphere.

However, I found the lead that comes in at 0:58 secs was a bit jarring, in comparison to what we had going on in there. It sounds too close, in terms of reverb, and too crisp in terms of eq, which is to say that it could use a bit of muffling, and a bit more 'room.' Otherwise, I'd say you should keep it up. This is looking good.

Well, case, I like that guitary wah wah thing going on, but I've gotta point out that the bassline you've started out with is not actually in tune with your piano.

Second, the synth lead is creating a lot of discord with that delay on it, and whatever that stuff is.

It has potential in the later sections, but it's kinda messy, and you need to be sure that all of the parts are in tune with eachother.

Right now it needs a lot of work.

Sweetness, thanks for the feedback! When you say out of tune, you mean on a different octave, right? Or am I messing up notes? As far as the synth lead, is it clipping for you, or is it just too chaotic from the rest of the song? Thanks guys!

Meph, you've had winning songs, mind sharing some thoughts with me as well?

polar: totally forgot, i went and listened to the song and realized what you meant about MIDI drums... the intro actually -is- MIDI drums, lol. iunno, maybe my style is a little weird.

Finally saw the fixed link for shrage's WiP... I like it a lot, I couldn't figure out what to do with that song myself, but I really like what you've done with it!

No, when he says out of tune, he means that the piano notes are playing somewhere in between 2 bass semitones. An A on the piano sounds like something in between an A and an Ab (or between an A or an A#) on the bass. Listening to a piece of music where this is the case is generally rather unpleasant. Pitch the piano so that it's in tune.

Are you talking about the intro or otherwise? The bass isn't playing random notes, it's direct from the original, as is the piano piece. I think what I'm going to end up doing is running my own bassline for it, I'll talk to one of the guys I know who plays bass for suggestions. I tried changing it to be more in tune to the piano's octave/notes, but it sounds ridiculous, loses any smoothness it had (and my opinion of why a bass is... a bass). Another curiosity I had, is talking about keeping the song in tune.. Maybe I'm not getting it, but I don't want everything to be one pitch, cause then it all clashes against itself and becomes redundant. I'll keep working on it though, a few good things have come with the testing. I think the song is a little more streamlined now, it has a semi-finished ending, and a little more work has been done on the drums, but they're still placeholders.

(editted for the above)

Sorry if I'm over-doing this, but making progress is nice.

I know it's probably a little late to ask, but would I be able to join this project? If you want to hear what I can do, I have an Earthworm Jim mix up on the site:

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01568/

For something more recent, here's an original song that I finished making about a week ago:

http://boosherd.googlepages.com/Purgatory.mp3

If you think I have what it takes to be a member of this project, just hit me back with a PM or something.

-Chris

• 3 weeks later...

after a decent amount of deliberation, i'm removing my tracks from this project and subbing them. i've sat on my first track since almost two years ago, and the track with prizm/fishy for over a year...and i simply haven't seen any progress happening on ANYONE's part, particularly the project coordinator's part. sorry, guys, but i'm getting sick of just sitting around. if you guys ever finish, more power to you...but i don't ever see that happening. i mean, aeth never even bothered to do an arrangement, and said quite plainly that he didn't intend to anytime soon even back when people were actively working on this one.

have fun. if you ever finish, i'll download. other than that, peace out.

I'm going to keep mine on the project. I made it for the project and it wouldn't pass the judges panel anyway. That said, I have no hopes for this project to ever finish, especially with TPoM removing his tracks (which make up, like, half of our progress). Aeth, have you ever considered the possibility of suffering from ADD?

Dafydd, the problem is that I do not suffer from ADD, and am too focused on my real life, and my studies at University to care about this project, video-game remixes in general, or this community like you folks do.

If it would make people happy, then I'll declare the project dead. I figured if we let it sit long enough, someone would finish a track.

Someone as in e.g. you? If you had the intention to do your track, you should have at least gotten started by now. If you're not going to do it, at least give it up and let someone else take it.

Note that me not finishing my ONE track has nothing to do with the fact that there are only 5 (minus 2) of 20-ish tracks complete for this project.

This project is dead because it has no mixers, and never did.

Note that me not finishing my ONE track has nothing to do with the fact that there are only 5 (minus 2) of 20-ish tracks complete for this project.
Keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy. I can't pretend it's a fact, but if you as the project leader had finished your own mix, you might have inspired others to do the same thing. Likewise, Prophet just pulled out and he mentioned your lack of... dedication... in his reason why. Sorry to bring it up, but there it is.

Keep telling yourself that if it makes you happy. I can't pretend it's a fact, but if you as the project leader had finished your own mix, you might have inspired others to do the same thing. Likewise, Prophet just pulled out and he mentioned your lack of... dedication... in his reason why. Sorry to bring it up, but there it is.

The prophet, like you, blames me, because he wanted to get his music out there, for which HE cannot be blamed. I suppose if I had more dedication I might have put more effort into annoying people by ASKING them to join the project, rather than hoping people would just join up. I didn't want to ASK people, because I figured that people who do things because they're asked to don't really want to do it because they appreciate the music of this game, they do it because they're bored, or because they just like to make music in general.

My dedication to this project has been strong enough, such that I didn't kill it when it became apparent to me (less than a year after starting it) that it would fail. I was dedicated in that I had hope that it would succeed regardless of the disinterest.

The suggestion that my mix might have inspired people to do their own mixing is not applicable, as there was no one around to be inspired by it. The five remixes (maybe only 4, even) that were completed for this project were done early on. Anybody else who was on the project either dropped out, disappeared completely, or simply didn't have time for it (but continued to say they'd finish). If I were to have finished my own mix, it would have done nothing to inspire anybody, because the only people listening had already completed their mixes.

The fact that you can deny the obvious lack of mixers that this project has had (as evidenced by the "mixers, please" that has been in this thread's title for more than a year) shows that you are willing to turn a blind eye to truth, in order to blame me. You finished your mix. Great. There were 15 other tracks to be finished. Who would finish them? Not you, Not I, maybe the prophet.

I appreciated the prophet's efforts. I thought he did a wonderful job, and was very supportive originally, but as he grew bitter toward me, and began to blame me for the failure of the project, regardless of the fact that NOBODY ELSE IS ON THIS PROJECT, I began to care less.

Like I said, I have MUCH more important things than OC ReMix to worry about. An HBA degree to get, a (REAL) social life to maintain, a job to keep, and my own original music to worry about completing. This website is not important to me at all. This project is not important to me.

So, you can tell YOURself that the reason this project failed is because I didn't finish my song, but I will not be bothered to come back and check on this thread to read it. Notify the authorities if you must. This project is over, and this thread is dead.