Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

i've got a basic arrangement down, but it feels REALLY close to reich's original piece. it's pretty, uh, liberal, too, as a remix, considering i used The Trendy as the source tune. i really only used, like, the first bar of melody, and just repeated it ad nauseum. that's all there really is in the OST anyways, that little melody snippet and a bassline that moves around. and, it's my project, so i can release any crap i want and call it a remix.

we'll see how the recording turns out. gonna take forever to record.

Just listened to that 'New York Counterpoint' piece. Awesome stuff. It reminds me of when I discovered the soundtrack to a Sega Saturn game called Enemy Zero. Not too many game soundtracks get household name composers, but I quickly discovered that Michael Nyman has had quite the visible career. I don't think he's done any more game soundtracks though.

On another note, I'm finished with my senior year of college! I don't have 100% confidence in my grade for one of the classes I need to graduate though. I think I'll make it, but we'll see. Anyway, this means I'll have more time to hone my remixing skills, so you may just see me twice on this project.

and with that, animal village is done.

so, i know i mentioned this before, but i'll reiterate it. i wanted to combine animal village's simple theme with steve reich's "New York Counterpoint". i succeeded...on my third try, of course.

the first time through, i recorded every part in a 4-hour marathon. if you know the piece at all, you know that the piece consists of a zillion tongued eighth notes at quarter = 184bpm. that's not super fast, really, but the intense repition (particularly on the bari, which is the hardest to tongue cleanly on) wore me out quickly. so the recording didn't really turn out good.

at all.

so much for that graduate saxophone degree i'm earning. this was attempt one.

so i went through and tried to fix it in various ways - syncing it manually to a click in audacity, fixing pitch in melodyne (my tenor is an absolutely horrid piece of trash), etc. after two hours, i hit the play button. still didn't really sound good at all. it was better, but it was really nasty, and issues in the original recording - mostly the pitch shifts that happen naturally when crescendoing and decrescendoing - made it still pretty painful to listen to. plus, the nature of the piece is such that if you don't get every note exactly in the right place, it sounds bad. so it sounded pretty bad, because there wasn't much in the right spot.

so i get to attempt three. i realize 'hey! the piece is in two major parts. the part that sounds terrible is comprised completely of machine-gun repeated notes. why don't i just sample myself?' with that, i picked out one eighth note for every note i had to play on each horn (ignoring the middle riff-based section, which was sounding pretty good at this point) and loaded these short bloops with the midi file i had created with finale (when i was arranging the original parts) into reason. eleven instances of NN-XT later, and i had a pretty decent-sounding arrangement of the A section and the repeated-note parts of the C section. i used audacity to fade these in and out, simulating the dynamics that i didn't have set up in reason, and i put these humanized files into FL. next, i 'sampled' my riffs by taking about 2.9 beats of sound from each 3-beat riff and just painting them into the FL playlist. these had turned out pretty good as a whole, and were very rhythmically accurate, so they fit into the main body of the work easily. i added some EQ and reverb, and the piece was finished.

nine hours in all, but i think it really turned out well. i used far too much of "New York Counterpoint" to be able to ever submit this, but i still think it's one of my better arrangements/accomplishments.

anyways, all that basically just means that we're now at 10/20 tracks of the original playlist, making this our halfway point. i really hope it doesn't take another three years to release, but it's still a big deal.

i haven't heard from miku or monobrow in months. can't keep clogging those tracks if they're not going to do anything with it.

i'm going to try and find someone to re-record miku's track (it's actually not that bad, but i'd prefer a high-fidelity recording), if he's ok with it. can't seem to get ahold of him, but since he ok'd us using it a while back i think it won't be a big deal.

i'm going over some of the tracks to see if there's some deadwood we can trim off. so many of these tracks are similar...

edit: does anyone have mp3 tracks of each track? i know we had them at some point. dunno if that was something aeth had or what.

haven't heard from him since he sent me that pm, but i'm hoping he's back on the train for good.

editP: i should mention i might (might is the key term) be doing a remix with the recent newbie OCRemixer katethegreat19. if i put something together, and she decides she wants to sing it, and my part isn't horrid compared to her voice.

• 3 weeks later...
i should mention i might (might is the key term) be doing a remix with the recent newbie OCRemixer katethegreat19. if i put something together, and she decides she wants to sing it, and my part isn't horrid compared to her voice.

This is officially my favorite project.