Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

If you can't get on IRC, you can reach me trhough AIM.

DrFrankenPhreak

Usually, I'll be around to say something like 'meh, don't pay attention to what I just said' or something like that.

Important news!

Well, it's time to release wips.

And by release, I mean 'not hide' as opposed to 'give away.' That said, We're not actually going to suddenly open the floodgates and allow all the remixes to fall into your lap.

NO!

We are in fact going to do nothing. Yes. Nothing.

The remixers in this project are now free to post their remix wips in the wip forums here, alongside this project, and also to host their wips on vgmix or wherever.

That said, Any NEW wips as of today Can be posted here (that's not compulsory, though.)

Keep in mind though, that in posting your wips to places where others can comment on them, where I can't see the comments, is likely to get you comments or ideas that I may think...are not worth using.

Use your better judgement, of course. What sort of thing have you been making, and what sort of thing fits into the project's guidelines, and what sort of thing do other people want to hear? I don't think I need to say that the first two elements are more important than the third, for the moment.

Obviously you'll want to make something that others want to hear, yes, but don't go overhauling your song. As usual, I will still be putting my foot down every now and then to say 'holy crap, that rhodes might as well have been puked up by phil collins and used in a disney movie.' because I really fucking hate Rhodes keyboards. However, there's no accounting for taste, and you've all signed an invisible contract to say that despite there not being any accounting for taste, you will have to account for mine. The end.

On a sadder note, Mr. Douggles, aka SgtRama aka Ramaniscence has decided that he will be unable to continue with the project for reasons of interestinghood. We shall see what becomes of them...*Strokes imaginary beard* in the meantime, I am forced to strike him from the list, and open up the Mysterious woods track for anyone interested. I had thought about droppping it and replacing it with Mr. Write, but as yet, I fear I will have to leave it open. After all, it is an important track.

So once again, Mysterious woods is now free, SgtRama has droped the project, and you are free to release your wips.

doublepost'd!

uhm, News:

Spc1st, after showing me a rather nice arrangement of one of my favourite themesongs from one of my favourite shows that made me cry like a baby has been given the Last battle.

Now, just so everyone knows...we still don't have anybody doing turtle rock...Which means....I'll probably have to do it myself.

Just for the record, if any of you have songs that are overly repetitive, rather than seek to find ways that will make the song be not as repetitive, an alternative method would also be to make your remix short. This would allow us to fit all of the 18 tracks we have so far fit onto one CD. That said....don't all of you go shortening your songs on me, jerks.

I've already mentioned to shinnymetal that he ought to shorten some parts of his, and I know that if I'm forced to do turtle rock, it'll probably end up being pretty short too.

so, everyone do your best. Gao.

Well. The thing about that mix is that it's well arranged...but it's using some really...not good horn sounds. The drums are alright, but as I usually end up finding myself saying...Almost all of this stuff sounds like a General MIDI soundbank. ...Unless of course...it was your plan to write in midi first...

Either Way, I think if you gave your project files (depending on what you're using to make this) to someone-- i.e. me-- they could switch up some of the sounds so that they come out sounding less synthesized.

I also think that some of your brass stabs could be replaced by a live guitar, if someone else were interested....i.e. me.

Of course, if this is just preliminary, allow me to add ketchup to the foot in my mouth.

Funny you should mention that - nearly all the samples were actually from the Konkakt 2 Libary (the percussion sets used Sam Demos, and the ensemble strings is some freebie I've found somewhere). I guess it might be that I haven't quite gotten the hang of effectively using them - especially the VSL ones with their "stuffy" ambience and perhaps overly specialized articulations; I've stuck with the "sfz" ones for the brass hits for convenience, though I'll try to see if the other articulations provide for more realism.

I'm using Sonar to make this, but here's the MIDI version (stripped of the non-GM percussion).

As for the guitar thing, if you can pull off those chords, give it a try and we can see how turns out.