Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

any idea when this will be finished?

*shakes fist* It'll be finished when people take the empty songs and finish them!

From the look of the first page, all of the songs are taken... except maybe "Turtle Rock", so if that's the case, I'm willing to give it a try. Giving it a listen, I really like the song, and I'm surprised noone else has picked it already... Here's some of my previous (although mostly unfinished) work:

vgmix page (Turtle Rock WiP "Sköldpaddsklippan" here)

older stuff (Note that Wave2 uses a drum loop sample while as Wave3 does not)

Orchestral, in case you want a sample of that too.

I realize most of this doesn't have the "melancholy" feel to it or wouldn't work well to study too, but I can change. The problem is that the song itself gives me a rather haunting and stressful feel, which makes me lean into the same style as used in system shock 2... It doesn't sound like the song's gonna fit into that relaxing feel without some pretty heavy modification... but slowing it down might help somewhat.

Beware that some of my above work is rather old. I'd look forward to doing some electronica again, instead of the rather futile rock attemps above... Gimme a go and I'll have a WiP for you before christmas eve. Now that christmas is here and I'll be outta school this wednesday, I'll have a considerable lot of more free time on my hands.

EDIT: I couldn't help myself from making a WiP tonight... a very early, and possibly completely wrongful one, that I'm sure won't please everyone. It's on the VGmix page. It's my first song ever using reason, which I got from a friend this very night. Consider the style of the WiP so far to be what could be the very heaviest part of the entire finished song, stylewise. The rest will probably be softer and more ambient. The entire song could easily be made slower if necessary. I'm considering it already. Also - I'm aware that the bassline doesn't follow the gbs exactly, which gives it a rather different feel. I will include both this varation and the original one alternatingly in the final song. I'll probably finish this, be it part of the project or not.

EDIT AGAIN: I added some reverb to the drums and the bass, which improved the song considerably, imho. Unfortunately, VGMix won't let me update until tomorrow, so here's another link.

Looks like I've been doing this wrong from the start... I've based the song key on the second harp note instead of the first one, so my basslines are 2 semitones up from what they should be. Changing everything back seems unreasonable, though. There's just too much dissonance. (note that this isn't a problem in the GBS, I think it's my new harp lead that kinda screws it up...) The harp plays a scale of B, C#, F, G and putting the bass note to B here just shreds my ears here because there's both a diminished fifth and a minor sixth in the same chord (try playing the notes on a piano and you'll see). Doing it my way, putting the bass note to C#, there's a major third instead of a minor sixth, which makes for a chord that doesn't clash with the bass note as badly as the first. Unless others consider this change a huge problem for whatever reason, I'll keep my new chords. I'll try to let the original song play at some point (with the correct notes).

Writing all this is all assuming you'll let me in on this, but you seemed less than happy about having to mix this track yourself and there doesn't seem to be anyone else around to do it... If you don't like the style of song at all, go ahead and tell me, and I'll try something else.

hmm, I'm not particularly looking for Relaxing.

I'm looking for atmospheric music.

I think the wip's okay, so far...but I'm not sure if I like it as a project piece quite yet. I'm not so big on that big crunchy synth you're using as a bass, as sometimes when it goes low, it loses its melodicness and just plays the same note when it's not supposed to.

I'm not going to give this the oficial Okay yet.

Let's see what other people have to say about it...

I'm not particularily happy about the bass, either. I would have liked something more distorted, but still not so synthy and, like you said, crunchy. It's one of the easier things to change though, once I find something better to replace it with. I was more worried about being all wrong on the atmosphere part. Or that I was making the completely wrong kind of music. But, yeah, let your team have their say.

I'm kinda part of the project, although I'm not a mixer. Furthermore, my opinion regarding music doesn't really count, because I know nothing of it, but I'll give it anyway :

The bass doesn't please me either. Especially at 00:29 (when the bass comes into play first), the introduction of the bass is too sudden. I also think the bass should never dominate over the lead melody, which it kinda does at this point, after 00:30 that is. Also, the "roaring" sounds, like a really low electric guitar (I think that's what Stark meant with Big Crunchy Synth ?) seems really out of place. In the original piece, something like a pizzicato is used as part of the bass, maybe you can try such a thing ?

Hope it's a little helpful. I cannot say wether this track is potentially project worthy or not, though.

Everything is sudden in this wip... nothing's finished, nothing's definite. The idea was to use a few minutes to build up the urge for a beat or something heavier, but I'm not happy with hardly anything... except the new harp lead I made and how the main melody suddenly becomes the background when the drums come in and echoes forward when the bass isn't playing... again, this is supposed to be the heaviest part of the song, and not to be dominating the entirety of it. I was thinking of using pizzicato, too... But once the drums come in, which should be at around past 2 or 3 minutes into the song, you'd want something more than pizzicato for a bass. And then I really think the drums and bass should sort of dominate the song at that point, or it'll sound really weird, having the heavier parts in the background... The alternative would be a remix of strictly orchestral nature, which I think would be a very strange approach to the source material. I also think there's only so much you could do with it if it were to be a rock arrangement, although I'd like to introduce some rock elements to what I'm doing now as well.

If you dislike the whole idea, I'll scrap it. And if you find someone who can do it better, or if Aetherius thinks he can, and wants to, that's how it should be. :) I'm doing this in part because I want to help, and in part because of the glory that comes with being in a remix project. If my work doesn't help the project, then it doesn't belong. That said, I'm asking you for further constructive critisism, helpful opinions and suggestions before declining my offer. I'm also not saying you should let me in on the project until you are convinced that the end result is actually going to be something you like.

Remember, it's a wip...

I really like the delayed/reverberated harp parts - it really adds an ethereal and evasive feel to the piece. But when the bass and amen break comes in, the mood quickly is punctured into a much more straightforward and generic feel. I'm not saying that you can't have a more conventional section somewhere in the piece, but let the first section comfortably establish itself and develop first some more before moving on.

Remember, I wasn't saying rock OR orchestral OR electronic, I was saying Rock, orchestral, and electronic AS ONE. Like...put them together if you can.

also, unless you're making DnB...the drums and bass probably shouldn't be the main focus of your piece...I mean...melody's what it's all about...otherwise it's not a song.

UPDATE:

Just so everyone knows, I'm going away for christmas in approximately 13 minutes...which means I'll be away from my own personal computer for about 2 weeks.

I'll try to check up on the thread, but I probably won't be around nearly as much.

I want everyone to work as hard as possible on getting done by January 10th. I will be suspending the deadline for a few people I've already spoken to, but I'm expecting anybody who signed up before the beginning of december to be relatively close to being done in January sometime.

Please post wips as you work on the song, so I can follow along with your progress. I want everyone to be actively commenting and being constructive.

Finally, spread the word, yo. Nobody cares about us! Spread the word!

Remember, I wasn't saying rock OR orchestral OR electronic, I was saying Rock, orchestral, and electronic AS ONE. Like...put them together if you can.

also, unless you're making DnB...the drums and bass probably shouldn't be the main focus of your piece...I mean...melody's what it's all about...otherwise it's not a song.

UPDATE:

Just so everyone knows, I'm going away for christmas in approximately 13 minutes...which means I'll be away from my own personal computer for about 2 weeks.

I'll try to check up on the thread, but I probably won't be around nearly as much.

I want everyone to work as hard as possible on getting done by January 10th. I will be suspending the deadline for a few people I've already spoken to, but I'm expecting anybody who signed up before the beginning of december to be relatively close to being done in January sometime.

Please post wips as you work on the song, so I can follow along with your progress. I want everyone to be actively commenting and being constructive.

Finally, spread the word, yo. Nobody cares about us! Spread the word!

I care

Give me a few days and I'll try to present you with something... more presentable.

To be honest, this is really the first song I've made that has a sound quality that I'm content with myself. I've been stuck with soundfonts and cakewalk so far, and even though I was often pleased with my work as far as arrangement goes, the sound quality always sucked. In the spur of the joy of the sound quality of reason, I just blasted away with all I had. I'll try not to let you down, although, of course, my WiP won't be perfect, either... :)

EDIT: I just gave USA's mix a listen... and... I'd really like to know what exactly it was that you didn't like about it, so I don't make the same mistakes...

I HATE rhodes keyboards, and furthermore, his drums were subpar in terms of sound quality. Apart from his inability to enjoy and embrace my extreme dislike for those two things, my opinion is that his song being pulled was the result of misunderstanding, and his own swollen pride. No, I'm not talking about a penis.

Furthermore, Merry Christmas, Thread. Your present is a bump that you don't deserve.

Merry christmas to you, too. Ok, I'll leave the rhodes out. I actually had some in my very original version... Although they were a lot more jazzy/funky than those of USA's. Plus, they were mostly there to give the harps a fuller sound. But I'll leave them out. They don't go very well with the atmosphere I'm aiming for right now anyway... :)

Hey, I like the chorus you applied to the drum beat in the later version, but you should fade it in and out like every four bars. As in, have the beat start straight and clean and then morph into the fuller chorused beat and back again over a span of eight bars. If you're using FL, automating the chorus effect's volume from 0-100% would do the trick quite nicely. You could also add some light distortion to the beat, make the bass less stereo and more centered, make the harp part louder so it's more of a focus, and add some countermelodies on a synth or something similar. You could even add like, tribal drums or something.

At least that's what I would do. :)

-chth

I think jan 10 is an old date. It better be an old date. I'm not going to make it otherwise.

I'm struggling to finish all my work for Project Chaos first, and I've officially put my work for this project aside for the time being. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to finish this mix... just not in the next ten days... And I'm in the final two months of my diploma, so there's a lot of work for me to focus on there, aswell. So yeah, Jan 10 is not good.