Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

Alright niggers, Joker sent me a WiP, and it sounded damn good :-)

I expect you all to do the same. If you already did that, could you please look for other people that haven't been posting here, telling them to do so?

http://thomas.balis.be/laproject by the way. Comments, Suggestions, Problems?

looks better than before. but what happened to track 18?

i pm'd gray like ten times about getting us out of the wip forum, but he never really responded.

for the site record, sixto has a wip. so does dafydd and rexy. they probably just didnt get back to you.

i pm'd gray like ten times about getting us out of the wip forum, but he never really responded.

Uh I think you have the wrong person. This is the first I've heard about this project from anyone outside epo and rexy. I never got any of your pms on this topic from you - and if I missed one, never got a follow up...and also Darkesword handles these per the instructions on the Projects forums. I've only gotten like around 7 pms from you in the last 6 something months and all were about your mixes/ft's.

He probably means DarkeSword.

@Prophet: Track 18 (Hen House) was ditched, since SirRus pulled out of the project, and Starky felt it didn't really contribute to the project. So instead of letting someone else do it, he decided to delete it from the tracklist. But good thing noticing it: Track19 should be renamed to be track18. Ima do that now!

He probably means DarkeSword.

@Prophet: Track 18 (Hen House) was ditched, since SirRus pulled out of the project, and Starky felt it didn't really contribute to the project. So instead of letting someone else do it, he decided to delete it from the tracklist. But good thing noticing it: Track19 should be renamed to be track18. Ima do that now!

i did comfuzzle the two of you.

but, that said, i checked my outbox and didn't see anything regarding the pms i thought i sent. i guess i don't know how to use the private messaging service...i'll try again :lol:

Makes sense, I guess.

Hey Epo, I don't seem to be able to download WiP's like I used to be with your old site... is that intentional?

Also, what does "looks okay" mean? :)

As for my remix, I've been toying about with the lower levels of the equalizer, and, well, I don't know what's causing it, but any bass instrument I'm trying to play muddles itself up, almost as if there was another tone just SLIGHTLY pichted up that messed the soundscape up. I've been unable to locate a reason for this so far. It seems, the deeper I dive into this, the worse it gets. I can't belive it's so hard to find a good instrument for my bassline. Furthermore, I've fixed the pizzicato offset issue.

I'll send you another WiP after I've played around some more.

Okay, so you guys saw that Gray is unable to contribute much music-wise now that his situation has fallen under. I felt rather saddened by this because I thought this would be a great opportunity to equal our compositional skills a little more in the track we would have been developing.

Still, the track will go on. Either situation will happen concerning the track -

* I will finish it myself and find a render for it.

OR

* I will pass the framework to another remixer (hopefully someone who has their roots in modern orchestra) and we'll pass the MIDI back and forth adding our own little bits to it, essentially him/her being the collab partner to replace Gray.

But first, I gotta finish off Eagle Tower >.> My coursework is soon becoming a thing of the past, giving me more time to do music than ever. Man do I love the smell of Freedom in the mid-Springtime.

When I refer to modern orchestra, I'm mainly leaning towards similar stylistic traits to certain composers that use traditional symphonic backdrops coupled with elements that aren't traditionally used. For me, Yasunori Mitsuda's PS1 game scores come to mind when I describe this.

I hope this helps out :)

Well, if you are looking for more references to the original:

-The bass notes in the first section (ie, the pulsating ones) are derived from the original's bass line, though in a different rhythm (and transposition too probably); so is the melody in the strings, for that matter.

-In the second section, the strings play what is basically a canon of the main melody, though the first two notes are really drawn out; otherwise, it tries to follow the original section, with some liberties taken of course. The sawtooth also plays the original bassline for a bit.

Admittedly, the are more abstracted than usual, but that's how I prefer to do things.

I think I also used some references from the other battle themes in the game; for example, the trilling sawtooth is from the pre-final battle theme, while the guitar melody is from the normal boss battle theme (though it's also in the final battle theme).

Someone told me my remix was almost too close to the original (except for the part in the end that has nothing to do with the soundtrack, but that fit into the mix), but that's how I do it. Maybe yours is a little too far for Aeth...

Even though I, too, found the song a little chaotic - hey, it's the last boss fight! What could be more chaotic and emotionally stirring? :wink:

I must say, however, that I think the sawtooth you're using is - well, not unfitting, but a bit too general midi-ish, which pulls the overall down a bit. Other than that, I kinda liked it. :)

*sobs* ok... I've tried and I've tried... and I think I got rid of the rumbling bass. If there's anything left now, it's the mastering, and I don't think I can do it much better myself than it already is. If this isn't good enough, Aeth, I don't know I can make something that is.

WiP6

Didn't we use to keep our WiP locations secret, btw?

pfft, no one's paying attention but us.

hmmm

I think the intro section goes on just a little too long. You get a bunch of buildup for what sounds like it's going to be a breakbeat, and then it just turns into MORE quiet buildup. We could do without a bar or two of that.

There's too much bass on your bass instrument still, but it's not muddy. Now it's just loud. It's an EQ issue, not a volume issue.

The ending is better, but I think that the piano bit (Which sounds nice) should be slower. I think maybe the whole song's tempo could go down by (not to) 5-10bpm to achieve this without being too draggy. Also, I think that you should return to the original chord progression before you end the song. A-section (turtle rock), B-section (your thing), and then the A-section again. Mind you, the repetition of the A-section should be VERY short. Just enough to re-establish it.

There's a bit around 3:00 that puts too much emphasis on the hihat pattern you've got going on. Because they're in the forefront, it draws my attention to the fact that it's a loop of crumby default hihats, which detracts from the music.

Anyhoo, main issues:

-Shorten the intro by a few bars. We really don't need the extra four bars to show 'OMG the hihats have changed' just bring the cool beat right on in.

-Bass needs less bass. I can't imagine how you can't figure out how to lower the bass' EQ.

-Briefly re-establish the A-section before ending the song.

-Find a way to remedy the way that the hihats are too far in the foreground at 3:00.

Mhm... yeah, I suppose I can do that.

... how much less bass do you want though? I know how to lower it, but I don't know by how much. I already made the left end of the EQ go very steep down, so the very lowest frequencies are completely removed... oh nevermind, you wanted the BASS INSTRUMENT volume to be lowered. No... it's an EQ issue? :-/ I'm confused. There's a way to change the EQ of a single instrument? Oh... yeah, bass/treble... right... but the bass' volume level is fine?

Also, does it sound loud throughout the song or only in specific places? ... I thought it was kinda loud in the piano section, now that I think about it... Eh. This will probably end up being another 3 WiP's. :roll:

Returning to the A section is a good idea, I guess, but it'd have to be through a sacrifice of parts of the intro, like you suggested, or it's going to be a bit long, especially if I drop the tempo... Hum. You want the piano bit to be slower than the rest of the song? I dunno... it does feel a bit fast, and the rest of the song is supposed to be pretty much the current tempo. So.... hm. Yeah. But then there's the transition problem. Do I make the intro to the piano section a decelerando, and its outro an accelerando? I mean... I'll try it, but it might end up weird.