Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening: Threshold of a Dream - History

Aetherius

Equalize the BASS INSTRUMENT, so that it's bass frequencies are lower. It's too bassey. It is indeed possible to change the EQ of a single instrument (provided that your music program doesn't suck...).

Try a decelerando into the piano section, and then don't bother with the accelerando back into the A-section. It'll work. Trust me.

I wouldn't call the removal of parts of the intro a 'sacrifice' so much as a 'mercy killing.'

The intro being that long is truly unnecessary.

Unh? This is incredlible... reason doesn't allow for accelerando or decelerando. You need to hook it up with cubase to do that.

IS THIS SOME SICK KIND OF JOKE???

How can they make such an advanced piece of software and leave out something so utterly basic and necessary? I've never seen another sequencer that couldn't handle tempo changes. Oh, yeah, it's so much easier to program plugins that allow you to link up with other applications than to actually program the function into your own sequencer... not. I'm not buying or downloading cubase just so I can change the tempo. I can't believe this bs. Maybe I can make the notes in reason longer so they're off tempo, somehow.

Wtf...

Unh? This is incredlible... reason doesn't allow for accelerando or decelerando. You need to hook it up with cubase to do that.

IS THIS SOME SICK KIND OF JOKE???

How can they make such an advanced piece of software and leave out something so utterly basic and necessary? I've never seen another sequencer that couldn't handle tempo changes. Oh, yeah, it's so much easier to program plugins that allow you to link up with other applications than to actually program the function into your own sequencer... not. I'm not buying or downloading cubase just so I can change the tempo. I can't believe this bs. Maybe I can make the notes in reason longer so they're off tempo, somehow.

Wtf...

wait, you didn't know that? that's always been one of the biggest critiques of reason - no time adjustment, and no external VST support.

you CAN timestretch the parts you want to to make it work, but that messes up the sequencer roll. my suggestion? ReWire it through FLStudio, like everyone does normally since the mastering suite in Reason sucks balls, and use THAT to edit your time stuff. then use the mastering suite in FL to make the song sound good, since it's almost impossible in Reason.

Frtuiyloops is the most versatile music software I've ever encountered that didn't require any external hardware.

Reason just sounds good, It's not ACTUALLY good.

And yet the issue here has been sound quality, mostly. How ironic.

Also, do you use the mastering suite in FLstudio after or before you've recorded your song? I hope it has distortion effects worth mentioning - the ones in reason were horrible...

I have a killer chemistry exam coming up next week (more than half of last year's class flunked it), so I might not have time to try fruityloops out until... the week after that one. I hope to be done soon, though.

Frtuiyloops is the most versatile music software I've ever encountered that didn't require any external hardware.

Also, do you use the mastering suite in FLstudio after or before you've recorded your song? I hope it has distortion effects worth mentioning - the ones in reason were horrible...

I have a killer chemistry exam coming up next week (more than half of last year's class flunked it), so I might not have time to try fruityloops out until... the week after that one. I hope to be done soon, though.

I use fruity compressor, fruity fast dist, and fruity blood overdrive for EVERYTHING

I'd say they are worth mentioning

that's the funniest thing i've heard all day.

dafydd, why are you using post distortion effects? nothing can really beat a decent live distortion pedal. also, if you know how to use Scream 4, its awesome. most people don't, though.

That's not really saying much. anything can sound bad if its been put together incorrectly. reason has a definate ability to sound like crap if you don't know what you're doing. fl PROVES that it'll sound like crap if you don't know what you're doing - look at the n00bs in the wip forum. its just a matter of learning what you're doing, and applying it.

reason has a definate ability to sound like crap if you don't know what you're doing. fl PROVES that it'll sound like crap if you don't know what you're doing - look at the n00bs in the wip forum. its just a matter of learning what you're doing, and applying it.

It's true. FL, being so easy to use, is usually the beginner's program, but unless they figure out how to use the program like a tool, rather than a toy, they'll never really improve beyond a bunch of repetitive noise, without any real attention to mixing.

Now I know how aggravatign it is to have someone tell you 'why are you doing this, when you could buy this $4000 synthesizer?' So, the trick is experimenting with a sound you kinda like...and turn it into a sound that you really like. Personally, I'd say that's easiest to do in FL.

You're right - I don't know how to use any of those programs. I've used various versions of cakewalk all my life (ok, since I was 9) - making midis, using soundfonts and the built-in effects of the sound blaster live as they came. Mastering has never been among my skills.

I used to sit on a 300MHz computer with an sblive. It allowed me to make distortion effects that I was kinda happy with. 300MHz means the computer is pretty slow, though, so I bought a new computer and a sound blaster x-fi. Bad idea. I still haven't managed to make that one do anything nice. It's great for audio, but when it comes to midi, the x-fi is teh suckage. I know there are millions of people who hate sound blasters unconditionally, but I liked them all until the x-fi. All of a sudden, midi functionality just disappeared without a warning. I was expecting their newest card to be better, not worse, than its predecessors.

Anyway. Midi screwed up on the x-fi, so I decided to give reason a shot, since so many people seemed to be using it and talked about it. "Sköldpaddsklippan" is the first song I've ever made using reason, and this along with my nonexisting experience of mastering and equalizing obviously means that my song is currently suffering in these aspects.

I absolutely hate the distortion that the "scream" creates. I can turn the wheels and change the settings, but it never gets to where I want it. I suck at reason, and that's what's taking so long, I guess. If I knew how to make things sound like I wanted them to, I would probably be done by now. :)

The problem I have right now is that not only do I not know anything about mixing, but my ideas about what sounds good and what doesn't are far less demanding than yours. I might think that "this sounds ok" whily you think "ergh! more 3kHz ffs!" or the likes. I appreciate having some telling me "lower the bass on that one" etc. because it usually turns out it sounds better.

Bottom line - I'm not as picky as you are about sound quality and I have no experience in the world of equalizing/mastering. In fact, I don't think I'm sure I know the difference between those two words...

Conclusion - even with the right equipment, I don't know where I'm supposed to be going eq-wise, and I don't know how to get there. All I know is I kinda liked the dark feel in my 5th WiP, and I want my song to stay dark. Your suggestions have been a great help so far.

Your flare for the dramatic both astounds and disgusts me.

Check in Remixing 101. The answer's probably there.

lawl. i'll save you the trouble.

assuming you know how to rewire, just automate the tempo (tempi?) in fl6 the way you normally would, and play the song in the 'song' mode (rather than pattern mode) the way you normally would. this'll probably mean putting in a black pattern track at the end of the song to get FL to play that long.

if you dont know how to rewire...read your manual. i'm not explaining that obnoxious setup...it takes forever.

but yeah, tempo stuff is just done the same way you normally would. fl controls the internal sync when it has reason rewired through it.

is that what you were asking?

I got the impression that he didn't know how to automate the tempo as you 'normally would'.

oh. right click on the box that shows what your bpm is. click 'edit automation'. set it to what it should be. in order to tell what's what, look in the top left corner, where usually status updates are. when your mouse is on the automation window, it'll show up with BPM figures. just click where you want them...same as always, right click lets you drag a line, left click just sets it as normal...etc. if that doesn't explain it, whatever. read your damn manual.

Your flare for the dramatic both astounds and disgusts me.

You... nevermind.

lawl. i'll save you the trouble.

i'm not explaining that obnoxious setup...it takes forever.

Thanks for explaining the obvious and leaving out the hard parts. Which part did you think I wanted help with - the one that's the same as always or the one that's obnoxious and takes forever? :roll: Expect an update when I've figured it all out. I'll probably be a few weeks, in worst case, exams and all... :-/