Apex 2013: Straight to the Top - History

DarkeSword

Hi guys.

So there's this fighting game tournament called Apex that happens every year in New Jersey. It's quite big and is, as I am told, the biggest Super Smash Bros. event in the country, though they have a lot of other games as well.

The folks running the event have asked if we could do something for them, so we've decided to put together a small album featuring remixes from the games that will be featured at the tournament. These remixes will be played on the streams and used as the "official" songs for the event.

I'll be taking point because the event is happening right in my backyard (i.e. near Rutgers University).

The games are:

1. Soul Calibur V
  2. Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition 2012
  3. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  4. Mortal Kombat 9
  5. Super Smash Bros.
  6. Super Smash Bros Melee [RadioWar - Break the Targets]
  7. Super Smash Bros Brawl
  8. Pokemon White/Black 2

So here's what I'd like. I'm going to run this audition style. If you want to claim a track, send me a one minute sketch/WiP of your idea for your remix and I will decide which one I like the best. I want to lock down who's doing everything by July 1st.

Stylistically, the songs should be high energy; no sad-piano or introspective-orchestra. Electronic/rock groove-oriented mixes are preferred. Audition tracks should be posted here. You can audition for more than one game, but you can only send one track PER game. Sound good?

Apex 2013 is early next year (Jan/Feb) so this is going to be a very quick moving project. If you have any questions about Apex, one of the Apex guys is going to be posting in this thread.

Let's hear what you guys have to offer. Thanks. :350:

Okay. For the Pokémon one, is there any possibility of covering Black n' White 1?

Because it's not exactly out currently and the majority of the soundtrack is not out.

In fact, it hasn't even been confirmed whether they're re-using tracks or not.

Sorry if I'm being silly and disregarding what is written, but I'd love to know.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to participate but I don't have any remix ideas and probably won't have time... But I may try anyway.

However, I wanted to share some songs that people could tackle:

: The theme is quite strange, but I can see awesome mixes coming from it.

: More straightforward, but awesome anyway.

: Pretty energetic. I've been trying to remix this one, but I can't come up with something that isn't too cover-ish.

I only chose Smash. Bros themes since that OST is so underapreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

I am AlexStrife the owner of the Apex Series. We are very happy to be working with OCRemix on this project. We will be making sure you guys get all the love and credit you earned on our stream and various promotional work.

For those curious our event is Jan 11-13th at Rutgers University in New Brunswick.

All information is at www.apex-series.com . We will start registration Late July/Early August so be sure to book your rooms and tickets then!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys. Posted about this a while ago in the Recruitment forum but I didn't get a lot of response. We really need tracks for this project and I'd like to get the music done in a very short time. I know you guys can bring really great music really quickly so I'm putting out an open call.

The Apex 2013 album is an official album produced by OC ReMix for the Apex 2013 event here in NJ on the weekend of Jan 11-13. It is, as I'm told, the largest Smash Bros. Tournament event in North America. There are more games that will be featured there:

• Super Smash Bros. (mikeaudio)
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee (radiowar)
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl (darkesword)
  • Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition version 2012 (neblix)
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (phonetic hero)
  • Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (jason covenant)
  • Persona 4 Arena (darkesword)

• Soul Calibur V (oa)
  • King of Fighters 13 (willrock)
  • Pokemon Black/White 2 (theguitahheroe)

I need ONE remix from EACH game. Primarily high energy, groove-based. I have Radiowar doing Break the Targets from Melee, and I'm going to be doing the main theme from Brawl. I really need other mixes though, and I need them FAST. Like, in two weeks fast.

Hit me with your best shot guys.

I did do a Yoshi's Island-Flower Garden mix a while ago. It's more of a groovy cover than anything, but if you find it useful, you can have it. I wasn't planning on doing much with it anyway.

http://soundcloud.com/user7666413/yoshis-island-stoopid-yoshi

Too laid back for what I'm looking for, but thanks anyway.