Sonic the Hedgehog - Special Stage (Piano Cover)

The first few seconds, I was expecting your typical electric-keyboard sounding cover of this track. In short, nothing worth mentioning. Then you started playing.

I really like it. Your technique is fantastic, and keeps the track very interesting. It's got a very air-light presence to the track. The minor echo and reverb works very well with the overall atmosphere. In fact, the overall mixing is very good. I'm curious to know what piano library you're using. It becomes a little hard to hear the source tune at certain points, but its memorizing, and contributes to the overall track (I'm guessing they're influences by your own composition, Supersonic).

Overall, I think you should submit this to OverClocked ReMix, or at the very least offer a link to download the track (YouTube's compression algorithms are horrible for sound). Thank you for the listen. :)

Thanks guys!

I recorded it with Garageband, so there is a high quality aiff file. And what I used was the Galaxy Vintage D library for the piano. I love it. Definitely worth getting.

Anyways, I'm really glad you guys like it! And there are still plenty of other covers that I'd like to do on the piano, and I'll be updating all that stuff through my youtube and facebook.

Nice playing. :D

Can't really judge the production that well from a youtube vid, because yt's compression won't be the same as the mp3 you sub to ocr.

I only really have two concerns. One is that it sometimes goes into some quite liberal territory, difficult to hear connections to source sometimes. I've kind'a done that myself, and the judges did have some trouble hearing connections to the source with those tracks. That said, I think someone with a better understanding of classical music will have less trouble hearing the source in it than I had.

The second concerns levels. Frequency balance. Those things. It sounds ok at my usual listening volumes, but I don't know to what extent youtube's screwing with the sound. Dunno the actual dynamics.

But in both cases, it's just concern, not any solid criticism. Very nice work. :D

Hey thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, sometimes it can be hard to hear the source tune in my arrangement. I was playing around through similar chord progressions from the source, and just implementing my own style to it all. I've listened to the song so many times, so I wasn't just playing around on the keys. I just wanted to interpret it a little differently.

Anyways, I really appreciate the listen! Glad you liked it!

• 1 month later...

I'm making this review in my capacity as a classical/jazz/piano afficionado.

Beautiful piano playing there; if there's one part that struck me, it's 1:52 onwards. But comparing that with the source melody.... I found it difficult to actually connect the remix to the source. The broken chords/arpeggios are beautiful, granted, but there are a lot of them (I can safely say too many), and they do distract me from hearing the melody. I mean, the piece even began like that!

What I would suggest is introduce with the broken chords... make the melody audible in the first section or two, and then, when you've made people familiar with the piece, ad-lib. With this, you will be 1) drawing listeners' attention, 2) building up for a climax which listeners will be waiting for. Right now, I couldn't even make head or tail of where the piece was going.

I'm making this review in my capacity as a classical/jazz/piano afficionado.

Beautiful piano playing there; if there's one part that struck me, it's 1:52 onwards. But comparing that with the source melody.... I found it difficult to actually connect the remix to the source. The broken chords/arpeggios are beautiful, granted, but there are a lot of them (I can safely say too many), and they do distract me from hearing the melody. I mean, the piece even began like that!

What I would suggest is introduce with the broken chords... make the melody audible in the first section or two, and then, when you've made people familiar with the piece, ad-lib. With this, you will be 1) drawing listeners' attention, 2) building up for a climax which listeners will be waiting for. Right now, I couldn't even make head or tail of where the piece was going.

Hey thanks for listening!

I completely understand your point here. When I listen back to it, yeah there are too many arpeggios haha. Well, I kinda already realized it was too much for the tune. But that's usually the direction I take when I start improvising within certain arrangements.

And it's funny, because I pretty much did the opposite of what you were suggesting, by playing a nice audible section near the END rather than in the beginning necessarily. I guess my idea when I was doing this was to introduce people with my technical ability first... and to also be very interpretive with the melodies, BEFORE slowing it down in the end. I thought that doing that near the end gives it a nice conclusion, and by playing the way I did in the beginning would give people a reason to continue to listen. But I guess it could go either way, really. Though what you suggested makes more sense, to introduce people to the piece first.

I could easily rearrange this and record another version, but I already have it uploaded and will probably keep it at that. Unless I have enough people ask me to do another take. But really, I could do it again with no problems, I play a lot of different arrangements of vg tunes (including this) frequently. I'll probably have at least another to upload with the next week. Just wait for certain equipment so I can record it nicely.