URGENT PRODUCTION / MASTERING ADVICE requested for METROID II REMIX!!!

EC2151

ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE, FEEDBACK, CRITICISMS, AND SUGGESTIONS ASAP IS BOTH SOLICITED AND APPRECIATED

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

MY WIP

--LINK REMOVED--

This is for the Harmony of a Hunter Extension Album (101% run) that is to be released later this year. This is my track for it, and I have been listening to this so much that I know I need fresh sets of ears to give an honest critique of any problems in audio/technical production.

The deadline is approaching soon and I don't want to submit a half-assed work. Why? 1) it reflects poorly on me as an artist, and 2) it's Metroid, dammit. It's a series that demands and deserves respect, especially in the musical world.

So I please ask any mods and listeners to offer friendly words of improvement (or if there is the crazy off-chance that i nailed it on the first try whoopee it's party time) - I do intend on eventually submitting this to OCR (since I feel fairly strongly about my arrangement work - though that might be hubristic bias), so hopefully there are no secret rules broken.

Thank you, anyone in advance!

-EC-

I think the best tip I can give you at the moment would be to make your pads a bit more full sounding, probably around the end of the lower mid spectrum of frequencies, try somewhere between 310 and 400 Hz. The mix sounds clean enough, I just think it sounds a bit thin. The bass synth sound you have is really nice, although towards the end it could have a bit more bass. You can automate an eq change for that, nothing major. Because this is not a percussive mix (though some percussion is involved), you can really exploit the full frequency range of the pads you use, so when mixing the pads you have alot of options. Just make sure before you make any changes to make a backup of your original mix.

Thanks for some great advice! I'll get to work right away to implementing some of your suggestions. I'm a little excited because i've honestly never really tried to seriously EQ something before, so it would be a good learning experience.

---

The feedback I've been getting from my directors has been a little bit distressing, mainly because both the guy in charge of the project and the assistant director have criticized the mix for sounding "Too MIDI"

Now I am at a bit of a loss here. First, that kind of puts me in a hard spot - in that I don't have you know, Garritan Orchestra or anything like that, and that I never exactly knew that synthesizers were supposed to sound realistic in the first place. So if there are any comments on the sound of the instruments themselves, and suggestions I'd appreciate that.

Thanks for some great advice! I'll get to work right away to implementing some of your suggestions. I'm a little excited because i've honestly never really tried to seriously EQ something before, so it would be a good learning experience.

---

The feedback I've been getting from my directors has been a little bit distressing, mainly because both the guy in charge of the project and the assistant director have criticized the mix for sounding "Too MIDI"

Now I am at a bit of a loss here. First, that kind of puts me in a hard spot - in that I don't have you know, Garritan Orchestra or anything like that, and that I never exactly knew that synthesizers were supposed to sound realistic in the first place. So if there are any comments on the sound of the instruments themselves, and suggestions I'd appreciate that.

Hmm, what plugins and samples or soundfonts are you using? I think its mainly the processing that is perhaps giving it that midi element i.e. too dry and perhaps plugin settings as well. Don't be distressed, its not the end. Just be a bit more patient with yourself, especially if this is a new height. Everyone on ocremix had to start somewhere.

Thanks for the encouragement...

I am using mainly the free Kontakt stuff (like Skanner, and Mikro Prism), samples from Camel Audio's Alchemy and Planet Earth sets, as well as a few odds and ends (like one bass sound is DVS MegaBass VST). So it's not like I'm using Secret of Mana instruments (though at this point who knows!). I am using FL 10, and while some instruments are at their preset settings, most of them have some filter effects (like reverb, or Fruity Phaser or Flanger) to bring in some more flavor.

Hey EC,

Your arrangement reminds me a lot of late 80s & early 90s sci-fi movie scores.

The plugins aren't necessarily at fault, but the piece does sound extremely soft/harmless.

Overall the mix lacks dynamics resulting in a soundscape that stays fairly static throughout.

And as Mikeaudio mentioned, the processing may have taken its toll on the piece.

But you do have a knack for creating atmosphere, so for a Metroid tribute it's a good thing.

The best advice I could give would be to take inspiration from MP2 Echoes soundtrack.

Namely this song:

MP2 shares a quality with Metroid 2 which is this powerful sense of loneliness and desperation.

For ex, pay attention to how some of the background elements/hits deliberately have a lot of impact/echo.

When mixing, make sure each instrument takes its own space, to get a fuller sound out of the song.

Also, blending synthetic and acoustic elements often leads to unorthodox yet interesting ambiances.

Keep tweaking and best of luck with this remix. Metroid II definitely deserves more luv. :)

The mix has a nice atmosphere so far. Kind of like a Mass Effect/Space Mountain feeling to it. You've got quite a bit of panning. It's good for the style you're going for, but I think there are times where it sounds odd. For example, the lead bells being panned left, the bass being panned right... that can work, but you need more layers to fill in the music.

The mix is feeling rather hollow overall. As mentioned, the synthesizer pads aren't really filling up the space. The bells are a good texture (especially around the 1:00 mark). I can see the reasoning behind the "MIDI" complaints. Certain instruments seem out of place, such as the strings at 2:15 as a lead instrument. It might work as something else, or with a different set of instruments, but right now it doesn't. There's a lack of dynamicness to the velocity of instruments (the end and introduction sound identical).

You might want to increase the overall volume slightly. The levels on my audio interface don't touch the yellow, never mind the red. The percussion also lacks punch (eg at 1:27). Try experimenting with different samples. I feel the whole mix could use a little spice up with the transition/ambient FX throughout the mix. The bass drum sounds nice, but comes a little repetitive over time. I think the FX can make or break tracks like these. You should try adding... well, I'm forgetting what it's called right now. White-noise transition? Someone help me out here.

Your mix actually represents what my original goal for my SR388 mix. I decided to go with something more upbeat in the end, but I think keeping it chill will make it its own track.

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. I believe the deadline was extended by a month. I think the Mass Effect series has some great examples of chill music. You should definitely check out the track Vigil and perhaps Uncharted Worlds too. Vigil has an example of a white noise transition around 0:19. Oh, and check out

while you're at it. The overall atmosphere works really well for the track (MIDI brass, the electric-keyboard-lead-synth, the transition sound at 0:05 that plays consistently through the mix... it's one of my favourite childhood tracks, and I take inspiration from it for most of my work).

Best of luck! :-D

When I was doing this track, I was listening to the whole thing at volume levels between 80-90 on my laptop, through my headphones. That might have been the reason it sounds so quiet on normal volume levels.

Should I just keep things at a solid 50 when I am doing music production/composition? I had it high because i wanted to make sure I heard everything going on as clearly as I could...

BTW, thanks to everyone for the advice they've given me, and/or the suggestions for further listening - I was pretty close to giving up on the track, but maybe with a few tweaks I can get it sounding a bit better, with more fitting instruments.

Besides, I made this in two nights and a day (with very little breaks >.> ), so if worse comes to worse, I might be able to pull a similar miracle with an improved take (but I like what I have thus far).

When it comes to mixing on headphones, I mix at levels closer to 20-30. At higher levels, I'm afraid that my phones are going to blow before the track has a chance to clip, when I'm mixing my stuff on headphone. I'm sure it's different from user to user, but because of the proximity of one's ears to the output lower levels are preferred.

On that note, though, this track is pretty quiet. Have you compared your mix to other songs? Pushing your levels shouldn't be too hard - simply pushing the master up a few decibels should get you up to snuff without any production pops.

I personally don't mind the empty sound that this has, as it gives it some nice atmosphere, but at moments like 1:11 I'd like to see the soundscape fill up a little bit more as to contrast the section previous better.

The synth at 0:57 is neat, but I think it would work a little better if there was less release and a bit more volume on it when it comes in.

I think it's a nice atmospheric track, overall. I'd give more advice, but I'm working on finishing my track for this myself so it's a bit tough to break away, for the moment. :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

Doing some major overhauls - I am hoping to send in a revised version of the track (with numerous improvements) sometime tomorrow.

It's hard to find the right instruments (replacing some stuff like the strings) and rewrite sections that in my ears sounded fine, but I'm not gunna give up just yet.