OCR01407 - Castlevania "Wicked Six"

djpretzel

Yes, it is very close to the source, and if I were a judge (God forbid) I would have gone the NO vote. That's not to say I don't like it- what it does it does very well. The solo towards the end does rock. Good stuff overall, but I wouldn't have thought this would have passed based on arrangement.

I am going to start off, by agreeing with the others; the end solo does indeed rock. I would have, however, disallowed posting of this until something was done about that god awful organ. After hearing the excellent treatments to the theme in Wicked Orchestra and WickedestChild, it made me cringe to hear the drowned out organ. This would be a solid remix otherwise.

loved this in the WiP forum (the thread was fun to watch!) and ive heard a bit of Sixto's stuff and this guy is quality. I like this version... it mightnt stray too much arrangment wise, but its got zing style the original didnt have. Or pa-zazz. you know, that unnamable quality that creates awesomeness...

I think the one thing that makes this great is the visuals.... i can almost imagine (especially at the begining) opening credits for a castlevania anime. All it need is some guy singing about destiny and reaching the stars...

Why is every Castlevania song rock-metal?

More of the same isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I have a Castlevania 2 cathedral organ solo over at VGMix, if you would be so kind as to check that out. Not really the best thing ever, but it does prove that there are people out there who don't do metal (:

As for this song, I agree with everyone in the thread so far that it is indeed rockin'.

Sticks a little close to the source material, though. Would really like to see what kind of originality Sixto could bring to some future remixes.

OCremix needs more rock.

I like this remix, its just awesome. But for some reason I think it has more to offer. Maybe its the mixing or the structure.. I don´t know. It needs a bit more energy for sure. The intro is so awesome and big. Then somewhere along the way the song seems to kinda lose its grip. The solo in the end helps the situation though. Maybe this just doesn´t grab the listener by the balls like this kind of songs should.

I´m not a big fan of the organ either, but I really like the overall sounds and the vibe, this is definitely a great remix. The guitars sound awesome.

And yes, the solo at the end DOES ROCK.

Needs MEAT.

STILL a great remix. Thank you.

OCremix needs more rock.

Because Castlevania is a rock-metal game-series :P

Like... Metallica S&M or something :) This remix was kinda plain. It's been done before and will be done again. Its only problem is that it isn't particularly heavy. More "live" castlevania metal! More lyrics! Considering what metal lyrics is usually about I don't think the challege is that great :)

More lyrics! Considering what metal lyrics is usually about I don't think the challege is that great :)

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO MORE SINGING!

Anytime I hear a new mix start off fine, only to find that it has vocals in it, I just think 'Why? Why did you ruin this promising piece with vocals?' And I immediately stop listening and never listen to it again.

"Good" singing already sounds terrible enough. Don't encourage people with even less training to ruin their songs.

Anyways, back on topic, after listening to the song again a few days later, I think that it would have been better to just replace the organ with the guitar. It would have to be majestic-sounding and require a lot of skill (à la goat), but from what I could tell from the solo, this guy could've done it.

This CV remix is pretty good. The organs with the harpischord back up I thought didn't go along well with the rock guitars because it just isn't a "meaty" enough instrument, if you know what I mean. I would probably go with RandLan's idea of switching the organ with another guitar. Other than that, this remix is quite good. Nice solo at the end by the way. 8)

More lyrics! Considering what metal lyrics is usually about I don't think the challege is that great :)

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, NO MORE SINGING!

Anytime I hear a new mix start off fine, only to find that it has vocals in it, I just think 'Why? Why did you ruin this promising piece with vocals?' And I immediately stop listening and never listen to it again.

"Good" singing already sounds terrible enough. Don't encourage people with even less training to ruin their songs.

Uh...thank goodness you're in the minority.

I'm not sure why Castlevania turns so easily into rock-ballad... This one is solid, of course. Though, it's a bit too much like the original. The end has some interesting organ and guitar wailin' but, there should be more throughout. And where's the vocals? I wanna hear some guy screaming in there to fill it out.

I never played much castlevania (I dabbled. Just never found it worth my money) so I might not notice the obvious similarities to it's original but I like it... sort of. It has a nice eighties hair-metal feel to it with a creeper dracula thing going but I've heard this too many times to listen to it a lot. Final verdict? Shuffle- yes, Mix CD- no.

• 1 month later...

Well sixto, you've done it again. Rocking me till my socks are off and my feet are bloody. This song is very good. Not the best I've heard, and you really should have used a more powerful, less electric organ, but you have shown the world you are the master of guitar solos. I bow before you now and your wicked guitar skills in this song "Wicked Six"

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just as I expected, Sixto. Almost pristine production. I do agree that the organ was a little too weak and drowned out in most parts, though.

I also agree with DJP that perhaps you shouldn't have waited until the very end to display the significant arrangement modifications.

This theme has been done so many times (especially in this genre) that it takes something real "new" in order to avoid simply being "old hat."

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01407 - Castlevania "Wicked Six"