OCR01409 - Mega Man 6 "Odyssey Beyond the Falls"

djpretzel

How COOL isn´t this! Not only we got a new MM6 remix, we got it directly from Greece!

Vurez did a really good job, that greek bagpipe really does sounds brilliant, and the strings, the flute, this is 100 % masterpiece. But for the name, I didn´t really got that ambient feeling Vurez was trying to attempt, instead it feels more like I´m in Greece and just gazing at the great monument over there, but then again, can this really fit in a travel-documentary? I´m not sure.

Anyhow, great piece. Thanks to you, we now have an another foreign musicstyle dude, thanks.

Overall I enjoyed this song. It's going in my library for future playing. Despite my upcoming criticisms, I thought it was an excellent work, and above par for video game remixes/arrangements.

I like the "bum" voices, and enjoy how right around the 1:18 mark how things pick up pace. There are many parts of this piece that I think are great, and my dislikes are a far shorter list.

I've assembled my list with an approximate time frame for each criticism. Realize these are just personal opinions, and despite the upcoming criticisms, I still think the song is great.

0:00-0:07

I thought the opening stumbled along a bit, and almost made me reconsider letting the song continue. I'm glad I had more patience, but despite my repeated listening, I still find the opening disatisfactory.

0:08-0:33

While the flute works well at 1:50, I don't think it worked well here. I can't tell if you used samples or if you had the actual instruments played (I suspect the former - either way, it's a testament to the quality). It seems to my ears that it was a flute sample played on a keyboard: it has a very on/off sound to it.

0:35-0:51

The horn (I believe it's a horn) sound cuts off here as well, just like my prior complaint. Also, there are a few places where the horn seems to stumble on a note, or at least add a new one in there by mistake.

2:13

All the other voices sound great, but these ones played here don't sound as good.

2:32

The mandolin cuts off rather strangely here; it mimics what a midi file would do when too many voices play at one time.

2:45

Personally, I would add a little reverb to the bagpipe. Also, I don't hear the typical drone associated with bagpipes.

3:11

I don't like the stattaco rythym of the flute here.

3:50

That's it? It cuts off so suddenly!

089.jpg

On a very positive point, I've been listening to this and Vurez's other MM6 mixes from "that other site" vgmix.com ;-)

Very professional sounding. Now comes the criticism ;P

MedHead, you made a very valid point about hearing no drone. I found a good link, along with sound samples of what this particular instrument should sound like..

http://macedoniadirect.com/music/instrum/gajda.htm

And yeah, I hear no drone, but still is a wonderful remix.

On a very positive point, I've been listening to this and Vurez's other MM6 mixes from "that other site" vgmix.com ;-)

Very professional sounding. Now comes the criticism ;P

MedHead, you made a very valid point about hearing no drone. I found a good link, along with sound samples of what this particular instrument should sound like..

http://macedoniadirect.com/music/instrum/gajda.htm

And yeah, I hear no drone, but still is a wonderful remix.

Huh, you're right. The gaida does drone. Oh well, I guess it probably sounds more like a shawm in my mix which is still okay with me.

You've definitely pulled off a Greek vibe here. Nice work with the mandolin, by the way - you got it to sound authentic in several areas.

I really liked the way you arranged the choir. It blended well with everything.

And of course, the sections following the key change (one of which was near the end) sounded great. The male choir and the orchestral cymbals gave it that powerful, "movie score" feel for a while.

My singular gripe is that the flutes sometimes lacked reverb, which might have sounded nicer.

I almost forgot to compliment you on your very professional use of that bagpipe patch. It sounded absolutely SWEET.

Excellent job on this song overall. Keep up the great work - I hope to see more of this caliber from you in the future.

I'm preaty sure that alot of this song is taken from FF6's Town (Ruins ver.) Theme, either way, the Pan Flutes are very nice, and the techno beat in the background is very catchy and neat, the ending's a little sharp though...

79/100 :D

[EDIT]

W-wait a second, this isn't the same version as the Ormgas one, What in hell?!

I'm preaty sure that alot of this song is taken from FF6's Town (Ruins ver.) Theme, either way, the Pan Flutes are very nice, and the techno beat in the background is very catchy and neat, the ending's a little sharp though...

79/100 :D

[EDIT]

W-wait a second, this isn't the same version as the Ormgas one, What in hell?!

Huh, I haven't heard it on ormgas. There are panflutes in my mix, but no techno beat. I wonder if there was a mix up.

Is this a MegaMan game or Tropico? Medhead has some excellent points. Per usuality, I dig the tune but, must offer criticism:

1. It's lacking the energy of the typical MegaMan mix. Who wants to kill evil robots when they could sip Pina Coladas on the beach?

2. The varying use of instruments from around the world is unique and done well. However, they all sound kinda... not real. The bags, for instance, have no drone. I believe that's been mentioned.

Great mix; the male choir went right into my ear.

But to be honest, this doesn't really remind me of Greece. When I listen to it, the pictures that I have in my head are from Arabia, way back in the past (especially after 3:06). I can see a caravan of camels, are some lonely prince on his horse almost flying through the desert to save his kingdom/rescue the princess/get some beer at the next gas station.

Not very MegaMan-ish at all, but one of my favorite mixes right now.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe my mind has been polluted by the soundtrack of Gladiator*, but this song hits the Greek flavor in quite a few places, but misses in some other areas. Overall, when I hear a new piece by Vurez, I get more of a feeling like I'm in the Wild West, as in the type Clint Eastwood is famously associated with. Nothing wrong with that in itself.

I've listened to all of Vurez's released mixes on both OCR as well as vgmix, and sometimes his style works well with the source tunes, and other times not so well. I can gladly say that this lies in the former camp. Beautiful in the same mystic way that girls with olive skin and piercing green eyes are exotic.

Mmmmmm. On second thought, I guess this mix does a better job of capturing the Greek essence than I had originally thought. Awesome.

* Gladiator was a movie about the Roman empire, but I'll be damned if the soundtrack didn't sound Greek-ish.

• 2 years later...

The bass sample is glaringly out of place here at the beginning compared to the higher quality sounding stuff. As the track fills out, it's a little better but still apparent. The rest of the samples are fantastic, and well used as well.

The fact that this is a megaman song completely blows my mind, as I certainly didn't expect somethning so thoughtful sounding from a series that generally attracts rock and electronic genres. Vocal samples are also very good.

Very nice stuff throughout.

• 5 months later...

This is probably going to sound odd now that this track, and the other MM6 mixes, are old news, but let's assume I just found out about this gem of a tune and go from there...

Finally! Someone did some good remixes of MM6 (my personal favorite of the series, possibly tied at 1st with MM2). I've been waiting for a long time for some (hint hint, other remixers, come on. Four out of eight bosses and no other themes covered yet...let's see some more mixes from this great game!)

Way to go Vurez. Awesome stuff, this. Matches Centaur's theme with a precision and uniqueness not often found in mega man music these days (with the exception of Passing of the Blue Crown).

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! Someone did some good remixes of MM6 (my personal favorite of the series, possibly tied at 1st with MM2). I've been waiting for a long time for some (hint hint, other remixers, come on. Four out of eight bosses and no other themes covered yet...let's see some more mixes from this great game!)

Thanks! You do know about my MM6 album right? All the bosses were covered on it - http://www.vurez.com/arrangements.htm

• 1 year later...

Ah, there is the pan flute in the intro that we heard in Don's previous mix. I love the tone. THe intro had a midi quality to it that I wasn't a huge fan of, but I can over it. I love the hammer dulcimer sound. The faint chanting sound of the mens choir was a nice touch. And holy hell, Bagpipes. Christ Don loves to throw all kinds of unconventional stuff in his mixes. I'm loving it as it keeps me on my toes. The soft breakdown section with the mellow percussion and the pan flute was beautiful. What sounds like a distorted harp is a really cool addition. The tone of the tambourine is really nice as well. This is a fairly simply arrangement, but the simplicity is where the beauty lies. Love the boys choir in there at the end. Wow, Vurez, keep it up!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The Greek sound coming off of this ReMix is terrific. Loved the pan pipes and grand, yet easy going, vibe of it. It fits Centaur Man very well and the quality here is top notch. I can hear where some people say that it sounds a bit Arabian at some points, but either way you interpret it, it sounds great.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01409 - Mega Man 6 "Odyssey Beyond the Falls"