Storm Spirit - can this be called electro?

Haha, a lot of the sub-genres of electronic are lost to me. I just call it "electronic" and move on, as far as labeling my stuff goes. Unless it's like, blatant wub or chippy, then I roll out my dubstep and chiptune genre labels.

Either way, pretty nice track. I'd say the snare is a bit loud. Maybe not even loud, just harsh in the higher freqs. Check the EQing.

Might be cool to add in some backing arps and some (possibly subtle) gating on that backing pad to switch things up rhythmically.

What synths are you using? And are you doing your own synthesis or using preset patches?

Yeah the snare does stick out very much.

I might be able to fit an arp in there.

The gating idea sounds like it would be good for variation.

Synths are from various Alchemy libraries - tweaked presets. Cymbals and drums from Kontakt 5 and Spitfire Orchestral Piano.

Thanks for commenting.

• 2 weeks later...

Usually electro refers to obviously analogue or subtractive sounding synth sounds, and electro house in particular rarely strays above 130bpm (although I have heard some that does) so I'd categorise this as closer to trance than electro house, if that's what you meant. Also, I'd personally say that the drums aren't too loud, quite the opposite in fact. If you're not going for the full club sound, then they're fine, but compare this even to older trance or house tracks and the kick is hiding away a little, the hi hats are very quiet and only the clap/snare is really at the level I'd expect, and even that only seems like that in the section from 0.56 to 1.18. In the "choruses" it's gone quieter again.

I really like this tune though. Are you using the full Alchemy, or Alchemy player for these sounds?

Thanks for the pointers, I wasn't going for club or anything. The song just turned out this way (in the beginning it was more of a relaxing/ambient song).

I'm a little scared of making hi-hats too loud for the fact that they would distract or sound harsh.

I'm using Alchemy Player.