VGM and remix appearances in other media

Native Jovian

So I was listening to NPR on the way to work this morning (don't judge me) and they were playing a story about the end of the climbing season on Mount Everest. What caught my attention was the bit of music they used to transition to the next story -- it was the first few seconds of

, the music from Mount Gagazet in Final Fantasy X. A neat little reference -- and it was definitely a reference to the game itself, seeing as the song title doesn't mention the fact that it's a theme for a mountain location. (Unfortunately, they seem to strip out those little transition bits for the online versions of the story -- I haven't been able to find one with it intact.)

What other appearances of video game music and/or remixes thereof have you guys spotted in non-video game related media?

My parents watch The Filipino Channel and they use a lot of Final Fantasy music all the time, it's weird .. I remember they used FF8's "SeeD Theme" while showing outdoor footage for some segment, and they use Aerith's theme during emotional segments .. I just hope the credit is given where it is due ..

• 5 months later...

I was at a hobby shop the other day and they had music playing in the background. Mostly "epic" stuff -- lots of John Williams, some Star Trek, that sort of thing. Which made it a bit odd when I noticed a couple tracks from Final Fantasy IX. I recognized

and Jesters of the Mooon. I guess the owner (or whoever picks the music) likes piano?

I think that every year, the Penn State Homecoming Parade has at least two floats with someone dressed up as Mario. I have videos of it in my YouTube uploads, but it would take a long time to figure out where in the 10 hours of clips they actually appear.

About ten years ago, I used a theme from the Xbox game "Fable" in a gameshow I was hired to write software for. One of the contestants actually recognized the tune and was able to identify it during the show, which was impressive.