OCR00593 - Shadowgate "Mystic Piano"

orkybash

Let's see... piano intro goes on for too long, especially considering how that's not too great a piano sound. Freaky stuff going on with the piano after the drums come in. Some wrong notes, but I'm honestly not sure if that was intentional or not - but if the goal was to freak the listener out then Pisces succeeded (meant in a good way, honest!) and the wrong notes work. Good variation on the drum track, though it maybe could have used a tad more. Anyway, not exactly my cup of tea, but I think Pisces pulled this off well.

• 3 weeks later...

The intro at first sounded a little long, I do agree, however it does set in that, uneasy feeling, so I wouldn't change it.

The plucked strings in the beginning is an awesome idea for a drum and bass remix. It is almost obvious that the song is going to be a kick butt song after these strings pop in.

The drums roll in and you get that feeling like, OH YEAH, LETS GO KICK SOME.. stuff... =D.

The treble piano melody is perfect, it fits right in with the rest of the beat and gives more to the dnb/jungle feeling.

This piece is highly recommended if you like kind of like dnb. For hardcore dnb fans, I'm not quite sure if the beat is something that would impress you. (although I am thoroughly impressed others have not been). If you like a melody line in your dnb, definately get this piece.

I rate it a 8/10 only because it seems to be too repetitive after a while, and it's a very simple song, but well done.

kudos to you pisces, I'll be a first downloader of your newest remix if you do ever create another.

~dj carbunk1e

• 9 months later...

I can't belive I've never plucked down a few words on this one.

Ever since I first heard it on the judges forum I was in love with the

bizzare little piano trills and ever so crappy piano samples. just

felt dirty, and I loved it.

The drum work has a nice feel, and the whole thing just feels like it's

pushing you toward something unpleasant.

Very cool.

• 8 months later...

A fairly average song in many respects, but when the volume on your speakers is turned up such that ay louder and they would pop, this song is downright orgasmic, every one of those creepy piano riffs tickles my pleasure center and sends a shock of electric pleasure down my spine.

Definately worth the download.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Brings back many a fond memory of throwing my entire inventory into the fireplace or giving the manticore guarding the toll bridge a broom...or was that Uninvited...anyway, me and my sister were some of the few people that actually enjoy point and click adventures such as Shadowgate, and it pleases me to no end that those off paino notes takes me back to the castle.......Damn, now I wanna beat zombies with an old salami again...

• 5 months later...

The beats are pretty sweet, the melody is mysterious, and the samples are well chosen. But the 2 arpeggios are seriously burned into my brain, and not in a good way. Even something as simple as a key change halfway though would double the amount of chords used. In my opinion this mix could have been hella sweet, but it was like buying a super rad, 700 horsepower sportscar that was loaded with extras but somewhere along the line, the engineers only had gears 1 and 2.

• 2 years later...

Drums are really great, but boy does that background get repetitive. Some change up, a drop out, something, but having that play straight through is almost distracting after even a minute. Even having some volume shifts would have been a way to vary things.

Creepy mix though, interesting in it's own right, though not something I'd be excited to listen to.

• 1 month later...

I really can't get into this, mainly because I found the drawn out intro so dreary, uninteresting and just plain uncool. Once the hardcore stuff comes in, it brings a bit of relief with it, though even that doesn't really save this from being dull. It has a bit of pizazz on its surface, but the repetitive piano gives it a dullness right from the core and it makes me really resist the whole thing. The piano needed to progress from where it was stuck at for this to work.

It's not badly made, and perhaps I'm being too harsh on it for one thing I personally minded, but I didn't get into the energy of it at all. Not something I'd think to play on an impulse, I don't think.

• 2 months later...

One thing that really stuck out is how obviously sequenced the piano is - it sounds kind of harsh here combined with that other sample in the beginning and throughout the song. The song also feels somewhat repetitive - perhaps a break in the drumming at some point to accentuate the mysterious atmosphere with a drawn out portion would have been nice here.

Do like the drums though, and it does its job in some form of mysticness here.

• 3 months later...

One of my favorite remixes of all time, I love the dark, almost claustrophobic effect the endless repetition of the minor key piano riff gives you. When the breakbeat comes in, the tension is turned up, but also the enjoyment. The lead piano is almost like daggers falling as a torrential rain, which could be seen as bad, but really works here. Overall, very sweet, if a bit unpleasant in mood.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00593 - Shadowgate "Mystic Piano"