need a bit of legal advice

In case there is confusion we have the trademarked name which includes both film and music for we have produced in both categories.

Goods and Services IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely shirts, sweatshirts, and headwear

We our a lifestyle brand.

please send us your mailing address and a letter will be sent out from out attorney if you desire to fight this.

Seriously, if these guys are for real, they would have a secretary or someone who knows that this is the worst thing ever written.

However, their email address is thevibeshowroom, it's the name of their showroom, it seems.

I mean, don't ignore it, but it seems less and less likely the more and more I see it.

They're bitching about Prophetik, and now he suggested prophetic with a c as if it would not be trademarked.

Yep, just noticed the c. Brad said he only uses "Prophetik Music" on his website and sells music under his real name, would they even have a case?

Further, why are they even pursuing this? I don't see how Brad could possibly be a threat to their business.

Yep, just noticed the c. Brad said he only uses "Prophetik Music" on his website and sells music under his real name, would they even have a case?

Yea, Brad doesn't use the name Prophetik Music for commercial purposes, so it would seem that they would not. With common sense this whole thing just stinks, but I wouldn't take the risk.

Because when you Google "prophetik", Brad is the 2nd link that comes up.

They're bitching about Prophetik, and now he suggested prophetic with a c as if it would not be trademarked.

As I have explained, it is much harder to trademark and protect generic, non-distinct words like "prophetic" that are in the dictionary.

Yea, Brad doesn't use the name Prophetik Music for commercial purposes, so it would seem that they would not. With common sense this whole thing just stinks, but I wouldn't take the risk.

Guys, trademark (or patent or copyright) infringement does not require commercial use. Again I'm not a lawyer but I do study IP law... I'm sure if Dave's wife Anna chimed in she'd agree with me.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if the people that are contacting you are legitimately from that company. I've worked in marketing before and most companies will go to extremes to protect what they believe is their "brand image" or "brand reputation", no matter how inconsequential the supposed "infringement" is. They'll believe any misrepresentation of that "image" could/would/may impact their business.

Also, in my current job, I've received many emails from internal and external clients that have misspelled words, incorrect punctuation, etc., so unfortunately that has no bearing on the legitimacy of the email in question. Sad, but true.

Lastly what I don't understand though is yeah Brad isn't using the name in a business (i.e., selling products and/or services for profit), so I really don't get how they have any case whatsoever. I know Andy has said that trademark infringement isn't limited to commercial use, but still that seems silly. In that case, where does it end? Technically couldn't any person using a trademarked name in an email address, forum user name, gamertag, etc. be forced to change their name too, since they are "infringing" on the use of that trademarked word? Seems a little ridiculous to me.

Regardless, if you have to change your name Brad, can we refer to you as "The Artist Formerly Known as prophetik", or will that infringe on their trademark as well? :-P

Well, normally I'd say that there'd be a distinction issue, but since they are a lifestyle brand claiming to have a trademark on "prophetik music" which it looks like they don't have (and that possibly doesn't even EXIST) that they're trying to pull one over on you, but I'm not the best person to ask when it comes to such legal matters like this.

This does make for a pretty funny story though. Unless this turns south, then it'll just suck and I'll have another reason to hate companies like this that are possessive/defensive/overzealous over anything remotely similar in name to anything they carry or produce.......

Wayback machine brought up this link from 2002. So apparently on their crystal-vision journey of marketing hemp dresses, there were two people from their studio that released a CD and used the same band name as their clothing line. I didn't look at every single month for every single year, but it doesn't look like they have any music links after 2002.

If they didn't register the copyright for the band name then it doesn't matter. They're probably hoping to milk some money from you, but they have no legal grounds to sue you. Unfortunately they probably will go through with it and it will waste a lot of your money. I'm guessing they're doing this because they might want to release more music under that name.