'Lost Radiance' - Hollow Bastion Theme - Kingdom Hearts (PS2)

Pl511

stats.png

Version 4.1! Only a few things were changed in this one, and all changes were in the last section. Instead of adding trills or grace notes, I added emphasis to a few chords that I've added in, and also changed the sound of some parts in the section. I also fixed the problem with the soundfont and changed the key back. Not sure if it sounds any better or worse.

This is - hopefully - finalised. If you have suggestions, this is the last time to say them. I'll submit this with no extra feedback in a few hours. Also, does anyone have any ideas for a name for this? If it was down to me I'd probably choose 'Sora's Ascent' or 'Reconciliation Postponed' or something like that, so any ideas would be good ideas at this point.

Thanks, guys! I just sent in my submission. Hopefully they'll enjoy it. :wink: To be honest, even if it doesn't get accepted, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone who helped by giving feedback and listening to all of the versions of this mix. It's been great to have such a great response to this, and it's definitely added a lot to the overall track.

• 5 months later...

Update 08/12/12!

stats.png

+Different pianos used

+Mixing/Mastering fixed

+Altered sections

After the *NO*, I'm fixing this up for resubmission. Apparently - according to most of the judges - the arrangement was fine, so I've upgraded a few of the issues they had with the sample used and feel of the piano. Submitting for Mod Review just to get a final opinion before I resubmit this for good.

Thanks guys! The problem they had was production/the mechanical feel of the piano. I adjusted some of the velocities slightly (probably still not perfect in that respect, but I seriously have no idea what else I could do) and used a different piano sample that doesn't have the problem the previous one did (mainly the fact that it was fairly static most of the time). I also used some of the newer techniques I've learned since then to remaster and mix the whole thing.

The piano tone sounds good. What you could do now is offset the notes slightly, because no one lands every single note at the exact same time every single time. ;) On the bright side, the velocities sound pretty good. 1:10 - 1:17 might be a bit too soft, though. You're at -35.1dB on that. Try bumping it by about 10dB.

Overall, it's maxed out at -5dB. You can afford to bump it up to -2dB if you want.

Other things are to give it more (and realistic) reverb, use panning creatively, and modify the arrangement a bit to make it sound more natural and less repetitive.

If the Js say the arrangement is fine I won't comment on that at all, instead focus on their crits.

Doesn't sound dry and thin. Might have gone a bit overboard with reverb now.

Robotic? There's elements of that still. It's dynamic, but there's a lot of robotic hitting as contrasted with a more human playing. Thats the problem with quantizing things, unless you have Cubase's unfairly convenient control over how much it's quantized.

Compression? Feels like it could hit harder during the loud parts, so there's definitely a sense of being held back. Could be other factors, like the samples used. At the same time, there's something about it that sounds a little distorted during the loudest parts, like there's too much limiting. See if you can undistort it. Maybe you could separate the pianos more so they won't compete for both left and right channels. Another trick would be to look at the extent that each piano needs low frequencies and filter those out from the pianos that don't need them. It's not much, but every bit helps. just don't overdo it.

Cool stuff. :D

PRODUCTION

~ Too quiet - not much, and it doesn't sit right with the compression concern

~ Unrealistic sequencing - hitting vs. playing

- Overcompressed (pumping/no dynamics) - that distortion thing

- Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range) - pianos could be more separate